after baby

Options
About how long after giving birth should I wait to diet?

Replies

• CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    This is something you really need to ask your doctor. It has to do with multiple factors, like how traumatic was the birth? Were there complications? Are you breastfeeding? Exclusively? Among others. I'm certain you should wait the requisite 6 weeks, but you may need more time on top of that, lots and lots of people do. C-section? Don't even think about asking on an internet forum, that is a major invasive surgery and only a doctor can tell you.
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Depends on a LOT of things. Are you breastfeeding? - Some women can lose weight just by nursing, others cannot. This is a very individual thing. I could not diet while nursing without affecting my supply. Did you have a vaginal birth? - If you did, you can start exercising after 6 weeks or after your first check-up, whichever comes later. You can start taking short walks around your neighborhood after a week if you delivered vaginally.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Generally 6-12 weeks....but that is a very general statement.

If you had a normal, uncomplicated vaginal birth and are formula feeding.....6 weeks should be fine.

If your breast feeding...wait until your milk supply is more established....at least 8-10 weeks. Then take it SLOW. Log everything you eat...without dieting for a week to see how many cals your eating. Then start cutting 100-150 cals every 4-5 days...watching your milk supply carefully. If it dips....eat more.

If you had a c/s....talk with your dr or midwife about when you can exercise.

If you had an uncomplicated vaginal birth, you can start light exercise around 6-8 weeks.
  • tburgardt
    tburgardt Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Well everything went really good except for the part he kept turning the wrong way during delivery. Which was vaginal. And no I'm not breast feeding. It just makes me sad my pants won't go on like they did right away with my other little ones.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Its been said that it takes 9 months to gain pregnancy weight - so its not reasonable to expect it to go away overnight.

If you have the all clear from your doctor, and you're not breastfeeding, you should be fine to get started. Good luck!
    tburgardt wrote: »
    Well everything went really good except for the part he kept turning the wrong way during delivery. Which was vaginal. And no I'm not breast feeding. It just makes me sad my pants won't go on like they did right away with my other little ones.

• victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I started at 4 weeks post partum. Mostly just the diet part, and did some very low impact short exercises until my 6 week checkup. I actually called my doctor and she told me 4 weeks was fine if I felt fine. I took it really easy though, I didn't jump into anything intense.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,264 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor. That is the only realistic option for this sort of question.
  • k_nelson_24
    k_nelson_24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    After my C-Section I waited until I was cleared for exercise by my doctor (6 wks pp). I was not breastfeeding.
  • Janehds0284
    Janehds0284 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I had natural birth and no complication so I start after 6weeks. It's not a strict diet but pretty much watch what I eat. Make sure I have lots of fruits and veggies and drink plenty of water. I had carbs here and there but not the main thing of my meals.
  • MsObesityRehab
    MsObesityRehab Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    tburgardt wrote: »
    About how long after giving birth should I wait to diet?
    I waited 14 months but I was procrastinatong while using my baby

• krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    If you're not nursing, you can start at 6 weeks. It took me that long to recover from my vaginal birth(with second degree tearing). Go really easy to start with and then ramp up as you feel ready.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I took my time and continued to focus on nutrition only after baby. I was told to wait 6-8 weeks then start exercising SLOWLY. I ended up waiting 4 months or so before starting any big routines but that was my choice. We had a hospital that was partnered with mom and tot walking groups and many other resources so they recommended that I join the group and go for light walks. There's also mom and tot swims too when you're ready for that point. Take your time and do what you and your doc thinks is best!
  • tburgardt
    tburgardt Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    OK. Thank you everybody. I'm not going to start anything right now considering I only had him 5 days ago. And he's my 3rd child so my body hurts quite a bit. And I need to get used to no sleep again.