Yoga for weight loss

Options
Hi guys!

I'm new to this app. I've been using it about 2 weeks now, but my regimen to change my body started at the beginning of January. My diet has entirely changed from packaged snacks go fresh fruits, soda to loads and loads of plain water and no more snacking late at night like I was so used to. I'm happy to say I am in love with the new eating style, so that's all good. As far as exercise goes, I just do yoga every single day. I range anywhere from 15-60 minutes a day.

I was wondering if anyone else had experienced weight loss w just diet change and yoga? I lost 4 lbs the first month but not sure if yoga is playing a role in that or not.

Thanks and best!

Replies

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,994 Member
    Options
    You can experience weight loss with just diet change. You don't have to exercise to lose weight. Exercise will help you be fit and healthy, but a calorie deficit is what will get you weight loss. Yoga is great for you in many ways. Definitely keep it up. I just started yoga myself a few weeks ago and I am loving it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    Sure, depending on the style, yoga can help you lose weight directly and/or indirectly. Here's a similar thread in the Fitness section: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10327970/yoga-for-weightloss

What style are you practicing?
  • hotelsix
    hotelsix Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    You absolutely can depending on what style you are doing. I practice everyday for 60 minutes - generally a power yoga or vinyasa/hatha style and it has definitely helped me in transforming my body.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    depends
    really it's all about a calorie deficit. if it helps you reach a deficit, yoga can help with weight loss
    but if you aren't eating at a deficit, it won't help you
  • frankie_xox
    frankie_xox Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Not sure what style you practice, but even if it's not burning a lot of calories you're likely to build some muscle in lots of poses.
  • rmdaly
    rmdaly Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I think yoga helps with mindfulness and body awareness. Even if you aren't doing a style which burns a lot of calories, you are probably reducing stress and anxiety which helps you stay on track.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Not really but it depends. Fat is burned from cardio. If it's a breathy yoga, you won't lose weight. If it's power yoga, watch out!

• abbeyfrae690
    abbeyfrae690 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing a power yoga and have started bikrham as well by my house. Those classes are 105 degrees, 40% humidity and last 90 minutes. So I'm thinking I'll see some results when I really start getting into those lol

I'm currently down another pound. I'm crediting the 4.5 liters of water a day I have been consuming and all of those fresh greens and fruits.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Careful with Bikram! The heat loosens up your muscles, making you feel like you are more flexible than you really are, and you can end up very sore. I can't due Bikram due to low blood pressure (and people with high BP shouldn't do it either) but I know many people love it very much.
  • tarabole
    tarabole Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    As was said earlier you can lose weight with diet alone. Yoga differs depending on what style you are doing but they will all burn more calories than doing not doing anything (although restorative would likely not burn many calories at all). Doing yoga will not only increase strength and flexibility but it helps you to manage your stress and lower your cortisol levels which can be helpful for weight loss and overall health.
  • abbeyfrae690
    abbeyfrae690 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip, kshama2001. I'll go at it with ease the first month or so!
  • kshama2001
    Options
    tarabole wrote: »
    As was said earlier you can lose weight with diet alone. Yoga differs depending on what style you are doing but they will all burn more calories than doing not doing anything (although restorative would likely not burn many calories at all). Doing yoga will not only increase strength and flexibility but it helps you to manage your stress and lower your cortisol levels which can be helpful for weight loss and overall health.

I once took an amazing Restorative class in British Columbia. I think we did about five poses in 90 minutes. Sure, the calorie burn was negligible, but I felt sooooooooooooo good afterwards! I worked for a Massachusetts software company at the time, and this class was just what I needed to undo the stress of travel and my job, which I would have otherwise been tempted to manage with food.

I think Restorative yoga can be a really good option for emotional/stress eaters.

(Depending on the specific class, I probably wouldn't log it as exercise, though.)
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Careful with Bikram! The heat loosens up your muscles, making you feel like you are more flexible than you really are, and you can end up very sore. I can't due Bikram due to low blood pressure (and people with high BP shouldn't do it either) but I know many people love it very much.

I know people who swear by it too. I can do yoga and reap the benefits without being so sweaty I slip off my mat and knock over the rest of my row like bowling pins. Personally, I don't get the attraction of having rivers of sweat pour off me.

I do ashtanga 2-3 times peer week in addition to lifting and running. Usually the day after heavy lifting. Really helps me get rid of any soreness and unclench tight, contracted muscles.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Not really but it depends. Fat is burned from cardio. If it's a breathy yoga, you won't lose weight. If it's power yoga, watch out!

Fat is burned from a calorie deficit. So if the OP is eating at maintenance and does yoga, hey presto! Fat burn.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Flow yoga or yoga with movement does burn more, they say hot yoga does? Kundalini definitely higher as it can incorporate cardio in the yoga. Ddp yoga yes! Yoga x from p90x yes!
  • bluenoser38
    bluenoser38 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have lost 23 pounds since November by walking a few times a week, doing yoga, and eating within my calorie allowance. Yes, there are activities that would burn more calories, but I enjoy yoga a lot more than zumba or aerobics. For me, that's the key. Find an activity you enjoy, and stick with it.

It's not a race, it's a journey. Yoga is a great activity, and does so much more for you than just burning calories.