Drinking water

Options
:frown: Hi i have to admit i don,t drink enough water. Can any1 tell me exactly what does happen if you don,t drink enough, would you be pron to putting weight on even if you had a low cal diet

Replies

• laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    To answer your direct question YES. I'll tell you why. Most hunger pangs you get are really dehydration causing you to eat more which can cause you to gain weight.
    There are tons of reasons why you should drink water. Do a google search or search these boards on the benefits of drinking water.
  • alys_in_wonderland
    alys_in_wonderland Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    If you're finding it difficult, why don't you get a 500ml bottle of Evian or something and promise that you'll drink it all by say, lunchtime. And then fill it up and do the same for before 4pm, and then again for the evening. If you break it down, you might find it a bit easier.
  • jacksamjack
    jacksamjack Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I use this method and it is helping me! I also try to always have a pint glass of water around - especially if I am preparing food in the kitchen or sitting at the computer in the evening.
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    Your urine normally shows if you aren't drinking enough. It should be nigh on clear for a healthy intake of water.

Using the bottle is a really good tip, add sugar free dilute juice if you find it boring.

I love iced water with bit of mint/lemon
  • babydull
    babydull Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I have a similar method, but I use a 2 litre bottle so I can keep an eye on how much I've drank overall. I sometimes add a couple of slices of lemon or lime to jazz it up also.
  • WolffEarl
    WolffEarl Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Your urine normally shows if you aren't drinking enough. It should be nigh on clear for a healthy intake of water.

I have heard the same thing and try for that. ON top of that, I read somewhere that before every meal drink about 2 cups of water, just to get you well hydrated and curb appetite a bit. I make it a habit and it seems to work. I just keep a two 2-L of water in the fridge. Very refreshing.
  • Scoobies87
    Scoobies87 Posts: 379
    Options
    I can relate to this. I have a tiny bladder (I even have the nickname peanut bladder at home) therefore I cannot possibly drink all that water else I would be peeing all day!!! It doesn't seem to affect me losing weight though. I think it depends on how in tune you are with your body, ie learning how to tell the difference between hunger and thirst.
  • ramseyrose
    ramseyrose Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    If you're finding it difficult, why don't you get a 500ml bottle of Evian or something and promise that you'll drink it all by say, lunchtime. And then fill it up and do the same for before 4pm, and then again for the evening. If you break it down, you might find it a bit easier.

My mission this week was to drink more and I have lost a pound at last. I have a 500ml bottle and am on my 2nd fill today. Don't forget that you shouldn't use the same bottle continuously or leave it in a car as it has been linked to breast cancer.
  • seansquared
    seansquared Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    :frown: Hi i have to admit i don,t drink enough water. Can any1 tell me exactly what does happen if you don,t drink enough, would you be pron to putting weight on even if you had a low cal diet

Without water, your body cannot effectively flush waste out of your system, hindering weight loss.

Drink more.
  • justtodayjen333
    justtodayjen333 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Drinking the water, lately, has been a great motivator for me. Every time I take a big drink, I am feeling strong because I'm on target. Every 10 minutes when I'm hitting the bathroom (small bladder here), it's a reminder that I'm working toward my goals. And I think my body is feeling better because I'm getting the water in. I like having a nice water bottle that I enjoy drinking out of--another reminder to me that I'm doing it! This time, I know the water is really helping me. Good luck!
  • kittyloo123
    kittyloo123 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    i soooooo struggle with the water thing. When i get up at nite to p, i am very thirsty (do i get myself a water?) no.
    This morning i am up almost a lb. :( And that's not from being bad with my food. I have been extremely good with my choices.
    I just have to man up, and realise that no water, not much loss. Ugh!!
  • Jaradel
    Jaradel Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    For those with tiny bladders, look on the bright side - every time you have to get up to go to the bathroom you're burning more calories than you would have if you were just sitting at your desk / on the sofa / etc. :laugh:
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I carry a 20 ounce refillable bottle with me everywhere and find I get through 80 ounces with ease, usually more, though I must admit I often forget to log the quantities.
  • fabulousfebe
    fabulousfebe Posts: 204
    Options
    I did a lil research and found that you should drink half your body weight in water. for instance, if you weigh 200 lbs, you should drink 100 ounces of water. When I did this, I lost 4 lbs in 2 days!! Experts suggests you drink water 30 minutes before a meal and drink water 2 hours after a meal. So, drink up! *cheers* :drinker:
  • manda2j
    manda2j Posts: 63
    Options
    If you don't like water try these tips: the colder the better, tons of ice makes it easier to get down for some reason; drink from a bottle with a spout that you have to suck from, for some reason people will drink more water from these types of bottles; or you can drink from a straw!; add lemon or lime to it; add cucumber and/or melon to a large jug (mmm); drink herbal tea; drinking right after you work out will increase your chances of "liking" it more, so dont wait to drink too long afterwards!!!
  • traceyblt
    traceyblt Posts: 45
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips, i defoe will be targeting on drinking more water to see if there is any change in my weight :smile:
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    I did a lil research and found that you should drink half your body weight in water. for instance, if you weigh 200 lbs, you should drink 100 ounces of water. When I did this, I lost 4 lbs in 2 days!! Experts suggests you drink water 30 minutes before a meal and drink water 2 hours after a meal. So, drink up! *cheers* :drinker:

I'd read something similar to this as well, and I lost about 5 lbs in a week by upping my water intake

. I still drink stuff like soda and juice once in awhile, but overall water is just so much more refreshing, I used to dislike water a lot but I've truly grown to like it more than any other drink out there.
  • mandrigo99
    mandrigo99 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have increase my water the past 2 weeks and have came down like 5lbs. I had been at a stall and read a really interesting article on the interent about water and I can say it really has helped. I am drinking about 150oz a day. I also use the crystal light single packs in my water to help get it all down. I have also added a SOBE life water (the 0 calorie ones) or two a day and it seems to break up the boredom of just water.
  • stariera
    stariera Posts: 224
    Options
    For those with tiny bladders, look on the bright side - every time you have to get up to go to the bathroom you're burning more calories than you would have if you were just sitting at your desk / on the sofa / etc. :laugh:

ROFLMAO I don't think I've ever thought of it that way but you're right