Runners! (Help me, please)

Options
2»

Replies

• mmarkowitz00
    mmarkowitz00 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    To me, 12 min mile is not slow, it is fast. I also don't understand why you are going from not running at all to running 3 days in a row. That is a recipe for disaster in my opinion. You also state you have good shoes, but were you fitted at a running store? If you have gait issues, they will be able to advise you on proper shoes for it.

TL;DR:

slow down; run every other day; go get your gait analyzed at a knowledgeable running shoe store.

To me 12 min mile is incredibly slow. I'm still pretty over weight and I run at 8-9 min per mile and I know I am not fast at all. I also know lots of people much faster than me

Damn. I'd love an 8-9 minute mile. Good for you.
  • JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Sure, you know others who are much faster. But that's irrelevant to what you should be doing. You start from where you are, not where you think you ought to be.

Start with what you can do without hurting yourself, and work gradually up from there.
  • mmarkowitz00
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Echoing the above, you're doing too much, too fast. Your heart and lungs get in shape much quicker than bones and muscle.

If I were you, I'd start 1 mile runs, 3 days/week for 2 weeks, then increase ONE of those runs by 0.5 miles the next week, then increase another run by 0.5 mile the week there after. Keep adding just a little bit more distance each week. If you start getting pain, back off, even taking a several days off if you need to.

And that 12:00 pace should probably be slowed down too. If you can't sing a song while you're running, without running out of breath, you're going too fast.

Doing too much, too fast, is the quickest way to injury.

That's a good point that my heart/lungs get into shape faster than my bones/muscle. Thanks so much!
  • mmarkowitz00
    Options
    I have problems with my knees if I don't spend a day in between each run doing some cross-training. For me, this is spin and weight lifting. Also, I get pain in the same place if I use a treadmill, so if using the elliptical make sure the settings are right for your stride - or if you can, run outside.

Running outside gives your feet the chance to adjust/move more than the flat surface of a treadmill. After making the switch from the treadmill to outside, all of my knee and ankle pain disappeared.

Thanks! This is super helpful. I may just have to start lifting every other day.
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    If you just start I wouldn't recommend to run days in a row. At least no more than 2. Best to run every other day, 3 times a week. See how that goes. Find something else to pair it with. Like lifting weights or something your gym offers. You need rest for now.

Thanks, man. So no elliptical cross-training, you think, on the off days? Just run M/W/F and upper body T/TR(or something like that)?

Cross training with some low impact should he ok as long as it causes no pain. Things like stationary bike and elliptical are easy on joints compared to treadmill running and should be OK.
  • thebuz
    thebuz Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    To me, 12 min mile is not slow, it is fast. I also don't understand why you are going from not running at all to running 3 days in a row. That is a recipe for disaster in my opinion. You also state you have good shoes, but were you fitted at a running store? If you have gait issues, they will be able to advise you on proper shoes for it.

TL;DR:

slow down; run every other day; go get your gait analyzed at a knowledgeable running shoe store.

To me 12 min mile is incredibly slow. I'm still pretty over weight and I run at 8-9 min per mile and I know I am not fast at all. I also know lots of people much faster than me

Telling someone what is slow or fast for them is a tough call. I used to run a 15 minute mile when I first started and now run a mile between 11-12 minutes and I consider that decent. You run a very fast mile by most standards and having someone who is already overextending theirselves see your comment could be detrimental.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options

TL;DR:

Damn. I'd love an 8-9 minute mile. Good for you.

i know, right?

OP
    get properly fitted for shoes, slow down, do less. take rest days.
  • mmarkowitz00
    Options
    Oh wow. That's pretty amazing. A marathon nearly every day you poor thing.
    Are you male or female?
    Any possibility you could find a less impacting sport or hobby?
    I enjoy running so much but even at 10k a week, I am carrying 2 running related injuries (though I tend to do sprint distance tri and run like I've stolen something).
    Maybe something less punishing?
    Your weight may be relevant, if you were female, you'd need to be a lower BMI but I'm the last person to recommend that to a former anorexic.

Tango dancing, salsa, swimming, cycling??? Walking?

Other thoughts, go to Asics and get advice. They can give you correcting shoes.

Quads may need stretching and foam rolling, (they could be pulling up on the knee joint) this means you are using too much front drive and need to develop glutes (try Bret Contraras hip thrust weightlifting type exercises).
    Make sure you actively stretch hip flexors too before workout and fully stretch after.
    Running is a high risk sport if you ask me. I love it even though it screws my body up.

I'm female.

And yeah. Those daily marathons were a lot easier when I had a lot less weight on me(though the excessive crying was no fun at all). I'd like to get some weight off, obviously, but I can't increase my intensity in any exercise without injuring myself and, obviously, don't need to be counting calories.

I have heard recs about quad/hip stretches from other runners, also, so I will see how this goes. My impulse in all areas is to go-big-or-go-home, so maybe this will be a fun lesson in slowing down.
  • mmarkowitz00
    Options
    _EPIC_ wrote: »
    Go talk to a sports doc or therapist to see what other issues might be at play. You won't find your answer on a public forum.

Good point. Thanks.
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    thebuz wrote: »

TL;DR:

Telling someone what is slow or fast for them is a tough call. I used to run a 15 minute mile when I first started and now run a mile between 11-12 minutes and I consider that decent. You run a very fast mile by most standards and having someone who is already overextending theirselves see your comment could be detrimental.

I never said that is standard. Also I said "to me". I may run a fast mile by normal standards but if I look at recent races around my area I feel like a snail. But to me the only standard is my time and that's why compare against.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    thebuz wrote: »

TL;DR:

I never said that is standard. Also I said "to me". I may run a fast mile by normal standards but if I look at recent races around my area I feel like a snail. But to me the only standard is my time and that's why compare against.

Where it becomes meaningful, is how far one runs at that pace.

For me, a 10 minute mile is a reasonable pace for 13-15 miles, but for 3 miles I'd consider that slow and for 20 I'd consider it quite fast.

You made an unreasonable comparison
  • snovej
    snovej Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    jeankahr wrote: »
    You might want to look into Jeff Galloway's run/walk/run method. I use it for all my running. The intentional walk breaks make it easier on your body than continuous running.

The run/walk method helped me start running and is fantastic at helping you keep up your endurance for long distances. I would also suggest running only 3x a week, with rest days in-between, and use a foam roller.