Brand New to weight loss and need some tips

Options
i have decided that I am tired of this extra 40 pounds so I am on "my own diet" I am using the My fitness app to track my food intake but I really have no idea what to eat and not eat any tips would be appreciated

Replies

• snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Eat what you want to eat.
    Weigh, measure and log everything you eat and drink. Move more.
    Eat less calories than you burn, and you will lose weight.

Lost over 1/2 my body weight and have been maintaining for over 2 years.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest

^Really good posts to start with.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10190957/help-what-can-i-eat

^I tried to make a list of all the foods you can eat on a diet. It didn't go well, but maybe it will give you some ideas.
  • acia90
    acia90 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Eat what you like. Weigh your food (portion sizes are important),log and swap in healthier foods. Trying to go cold turkey from favorite foods can lead some people to binge.

Move more, even if its just a walk.

And have patience! Weight loss is not linear and its not always exact.
  • jessicarehll
    jessicarehll Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hey, anyone is free to add me. I'm a personal trainer getting myself back on track and striving for a specific fitness goal. I can help anyone with tips, ideas, foods to eat, and so on.
  • chimaerandi
    chimaerandi Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 54-58 pounds (weight being a range), and here are my tips.

-Find something you like to do and do it. It doesn't matter what it is. I do cycling, a little body class at my Gym, and ballroom dance. Those aren't the best or worst of anything--they're just things I enjoy and so I'll do them.

-get it out of your mind that there are "good" foods or "bad" foods. There's just food. Calories are calories, it's all about what you like and can live with. Number one mistake I see is people making it SO much more complicated than it needs to be.

-use a weight trender like Libra to track your weight. The ups and downs of the scale can make you nuts, and it'll make it into a clear trend so you can keep a clear head.

-It'll take time. It took me 2ish years to lose my first 50. Some months were 5 pounds, some were 2. Just keep trucking.