Is losing inches and not pounds a real thing?

Options
I started my "newest" journey since Jan 4. I've lost 9 pounds, but haven't lost any weight in two weeks. But I feel like my stomach has gotten smaller and my pants feel looser. Am I just imagining things? Or can I be losing inches instead of weight? I know I should have measured myself before I started, but I didn't think about it.

Replies

• erinc5
    erinc5 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can lose inches without losing lbs.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    It's a thing - because the # on the scale is made up of more than just fat. Water (primarily) and other bodily tissues can and do increase and decrease is size due to a myriad of reasons.

• jra6651
    jra6651 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    So should I check it again in a week or something?
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Check it in a week or two if you want. But I'd break out the measuring tape and start a record of that too.
  • tracefan
    tracefan Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!! I prefer it. 2 years ago I ran a lot. The cardio melted inches off of me I got into a smaller size. For some reason now. I'm not losing the inches as quickly. I run about a 5k about 3-4x a week. And I have been eating healthy under my calories. It's just taking longer.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    This is why I measure in addition to stepping on the scale. Particularly if you started a fitness program, you can stay the same scale weight, but lose inches as your body changes. :)
  • streamgirl
    streamgirl Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Yes--you can change inches, pounds, or how your clothes fit (which is somehow for me different than inches--go figure) They almost never all change at once.
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • VryIrishGirl76
    VryIrishGirl76 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Definitely.
    I'm damn near a poster child for it!
    :-D
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I just went through having my clothes get very loose without the scale showing a loss. It lasted a couple weeks then my weight dropped quickly for a couple days in a row. I knew I was logging and eating correctly so I waited it out.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Yes, to an extent. You won't go on losing inches and not scale weight forever. Eventually the scale will start moving if you're losing mass.
  • jessicarehll
    jessicarehll Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Yep, especially if you are strength training. This is caued b a few reasons. When you tear a muscle, it becomes surrounded b extra fluid (water) as it heals causing a higher number on the scale. Also, simply because you're gaining muscle.
  • elv1ra
    elv1ra Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Well yeah if you're building muscle and losing fat. Ive had the opposite problem. Losing pounds but not inches. Some people can lose 20 lbs and drop 2 dress sizes. I lost 84 and dropped 2 sizes.
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I prefer measurements to weighing as a gauge of success actually. Only drag myself to the scale every week or so.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Of course! Unfortunately I have the opposite problem - last pounds but not inches, since I don't carry a scale everywhere to show people my loss it is quite dad. I'd much rather weigh more and look smaller than weigh less and still look huge.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Yup. Google body recomposition. It's awesome. :)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Measure now so you have comparison going forward. There will be times you lose inches and not pounds, and times you lose pounds but not inches. It all comes together in the end.
  • jra6651
    Options
    Thank you everyone! This was very helpful!
  • meghanmfitzgerald
    meghanmfitzgerald Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Oh my yes. I just got on here to search for that. I take pics every two weeks. According to my scale, I weigh the same in these 2 pics:glhsuw3pabgq.jpg
  • jra6651
    Options
    Oh my yes. I just got on here to search for that. I take pics every two weeks. According to my scale, I weigh the same in these 2 pics:glhsuw3pabgq.jpg

WOW! You look awesome! That is definitely a great example of it.