Beer and Fitness

Options
What is y'alls take on moderate beer consumption and weight loss?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I have no problems with people who choose to drink beer while losing weight. I wish them only the best and hope that their beer of choice is always on tap.
  • jessicarehll
    jessicarehll Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    During weight loss, it's best to forgo it. Once you hit your goal, moderation is fine. Beer and alcohol in general always lead me to temptation, lol. Not to mention, the following day is unhealthy cravings and bad food day.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I have given up alcohol for now because it seems to increase hunger and so it makes me fat indirectly.
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    I love beer, but it plummets my blood sugar and then I'm likely to eat more than I should. I've come to a IIFYM (if it fits your macros) way of eating, so if I really wanted one I would make it work. However, in general I prefer food.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    During weight loss, it's best to forgo it. Once you hit your goal, moderation is fine. Beer and alcohol in general always lead me to temptation, lol. Not to mention, the following day is unhealthy cravings and bad food day.

I would say it's very individual.

Some people do have issues with going off plan when they drink (they'll either drink more than they planned or have unplanned snacks that put them over goal). Those people may do better with really reducing or eliminating alcohol while they are losing weight.

But for others, it isn't an issue. I drank consistently when I was losing weight. Temptation to go off-plan wasn't a problem for me, so it worked. And I didn't have issues with cravings or "bad foods" the next day. The days after having a drink were just ordinary days.
  • jessicarehll
    jessicarehll Posts: 37 Member
    Options

I would say it's very individual.

Some people do have issues with going off plan when they drink (they'll either drink more than they planned or have unplanned snacks that put them over goal). Those people may do better with really reducing or eliminating alcohol while they are losing weight.

But for others, it isn't an issue. I drank consistently when I was losing weight. Temptation to go off-plan wasn't a problem for me, so it worked. And I didn't have issues with cravings or "bad foods" the next day. The days after having a drink were just ordinary days.

True, if you can keep within your calories while drinking and stay on track, I'd say have at it. Lol
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    sure drink what you want, work it off, I drink wine and whiskey and vodka, work it off easy.
  • toe1226
    toe1226 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I have never been able to successfully incorporate alcohol while losing healthfully- but I know LOTS of people that do!! It's CICO, for me, when I drink, I tend to eat all the thingz. You gotta find what works for you!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Drinking a moderate amount of beer (and I am talking real beer - not Michelob Ultra) did not interfere with my ability to lose weight. I lost 60+ pounds and have kept it off for almost four years. I typically drink 3-4 beers a week - usually craft stuff in the 7%-8% ABV range.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation...including moderation.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    For me, it's fine. I usually only have 1 or 2 anyway and work it into my calories.
  • soechsner09
    soechsner09 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    mmmm beer ... Brewfest is this Saturday and I plan on enjoying every minute of it. I'm just going to make sure I get my workout in in the morning, and hydrate :smile: then back at it Sunday.
  • Noelv1976
    Noelv1976 Posts: 18,948 Member
    Options
    As long it's withing your calorie budget, I'm all for it!
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    If if fits into your calorie/macro goals, go for it. I prefer to chew my calories, but I've never been much of a drinker.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    bshave81 wrote: »

Moderation? That sounds like a horrible life.
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I use exercise cals, that way I still get to eat like normal.
  • Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I prefer whiskey. More bang for your buck! (in a calories taken in:alcohol measurement)
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    bshave81 wrote: »

Moderation? That sounds like a horrible life.

right? lol
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    I drink and log beer. I love beer. I fit it into my goals, usually on weekends.

I've lost nearly 25 lbs and still losing.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    Beer = cheat meal