Will this cause me to stall?

Options
Kasper2010
Kasper2010 Posts: 17 Member
edited February 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I signed up for the fitbit trainer trail, and it changed my activity level to lightly active and is now telling me I need 2300 calories a day to loose 2lbs a week.... I barely make it to 1800 a day. I have also noticed a stall in my weight loss the last 2 weeks. I usually burn about 3,200-3,400 calories a day and eat 1500-1900 a day. Is it just me or do the amount of calories my fitbit is telling me to eat way too high? (MFP is saying I need to eat 2200 for lightly active, I currently weight 315lbs)

Replies

• tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Well if you take the average burn of 3300 and eat 2300 then your down 1000 calories a day which is 2 lbs a week.
  • Kasper2010
    Options
    So there is a chance I have accidentally thrown myself into starvation mode..... well poo. I didn't realize I was actually that active and have been using sedentary calories.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

nnnaq5rggu08.jpg
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Kasper2010 wrote: »
    So there is a chance I have accidentally thrown myself into starvation mode..... well poo. I didn't realize I was actually that active and have been using sedentary calories.

Starvation mode is a myth.
  • Kasper2010
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Starvation mode, as in I have slowed my metabolism down due to the lower caloric intake because the body becomes more efficient, requiring fewer calories to perform the necessary daily functions for survival.

I log every bite, even if I "cheat" I weigh all my food. I am always under by 1500+ calories a day (based on my fitbits calorie burn) and have no weight loss (except water fluctuation) in 2 weeks
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh your food?

Stalls are pretty normal. I would suggest following the higher calorie amounts though! That will still be a big deficit and you'll see the weight come off over time. It's good to eat MORE food, your body gets more nutrients, and you have more room to cut down later as your calorie needs get smaller.
  • jakeziskin1
    jakeziskin1 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    It's all about honestly and numbers. If you truly are burning 1500+ calories a day, that would equal 10500 a week equaling 3lbs of body fat.
  • jakeziskin1
    jakeziskin1 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Water plays a big roll to so don't worry so much about the number always. For instance I lost 8.4 pounds in 2-1/2 hours at the gym. Weight lifting, running, swimming, and a good 45 minutes on and off in the sauna. Weight fluxiates always but if you keep at it and are honest with your self youl continue to lose! Good luck!
  • Kasper2010
    Options
    I do weight all my food. I weigh it raw and then cooked.

Water does play a big role and I drink about 100 oz a day. Just want to see that 315.2 that has been there every morning go down hahaha

• Kasper2010
    Options
    I am going to up my calories this next week and if that makes any changes.
  • girlviernes
    Options
    Just as an FYI, it is common to see a bump up on the scale when you increase calories, this does not mean you are gaining fat! You need to be patient and give it a few weeks to see your rate of loss with the new calorie goal. Good luck!
  • Kasper2010
    Options
    Thank you @girlviernes
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    If you aren't losing weight with what you are eating, I don't think the answer is to eat more. Best of luck to you though.
  • girlviernes
    Options
    I don't think 2 weeks says much about whether someone is losing or not. Gotta watch the trends :)
  • Kasper2010
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    If you aren't losing weight with what you are eating,

I eat whole foods 90% of the time, am completely sugar free and gluten free. I eat organic and grass fed. What else should I do?
  • OMP33
    OMP33 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    There's just no way you're burning that much a day. When I cycle for 2 hours I only burn 1800 calories, and I go hard. Fitbit lies and it would be better to get a heart rate monitor to sync with your phone to really track how many calories you burn, that's the only accurate way to do so. Eat 2000 calories a day, keep fat low, and burn 500 calories a day. That's how you do it.
  • OMP33
    OMP33 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Kasper2010 wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    If you aren't losing weight with what you are eating,

I eat whole foods 90% of the time, am completely sugar free and gluten free. I eat organic and grass fed. What else should I do?

You should cut out the meat because meat is pointless in todays society.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Two weeks is not enough time to assume you're at a stall. A plateau is anything beyond 6-8 weeks, and sometimes that's an underestimate. Because starvation mode does not exist, I feel like upping your calories will have the opposite effect than what you're searching for.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    OMP33 wrote: »
    There's just no way you're burning that much a day. When I cycle for 2 hours I only burn 1800 calories, and I go hard. Fitbit lies and it would be better to get a heart rate monitor to sync with your phone to really track how many calories you burn, that's the only accurate way to do so. Eat 2000 calories a day, keep fat low, and burn 500 calories a day. That's how you do it.

It is very possible to burn that much. As a teacher, I range 15-20k steps along with exercising and weight lifting. On those days I burn about 3500 a day, using my Fitbit, and it has been accurate since I began using it (calorie wise). So that isn't necessarily true. Nor is your comment on her eating meat necessary.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Weight loss does not always follow immediately. If you cut 500 calories every day, it does not mean you will see 0.2 drop every day or every other day. It does not mean you will drop 1 pound every 7 days. I can go 2 weeks with no drop, then Whoosh! I drop 2-3 pounds in a day or two. It's certainly not because I had a deficit of 10,000 calories the day before! When I burn more calories, I don't immediately see a drop, it might lag as much as 1-2 weeks.

I find it to be very helpful to weigh daily and track it in an app like Happy Scale. It shows your trends, history, etc, so it's easy to see the up and down fluctuation patterns. I might be bummed out because I haven't seen a drop in awhile, then I look at past trends and see the same pattern happens every few weeks. And it's NOT because of TOM at this point in my life. lol