How many calories?

Options
I am on a 1200 calorie plan. Just wondering how many others are on 1200 calories.

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    No way! 5'9", currently 179 pounds, 40-year-old female. Losing on 1930 calories a day.
  • RachL235
    RachL235 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I did 1200 before and its hard takes alot of thought and planning to get filling meals!
    Im on 1550 and I have to be careful but still can fit snacks in and im not hungry. Not great to go too low x good luck x
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    every morning for BreaKFAST
  • cardertaxidermy
    cardertaxidermy Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I am 1200. Been doing it for 3 weeks now. I kinda seem to eat a lot of the same things cause it makes it easy.
  • chulipa
    chulipa Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Ive been on 1200 since August and i do fine the longer im eating at 1200 the easier it gets and now sometimes i dont want to eat that and have list around 75 lbs
  • elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Only 5ft tall and on 1200 calories (I set MFP for 1lb/week). It's been OK - very rarely do I get hungry. But I do eat back half my exercise calories so average about 1300 calories for the week. But I am wondering if I have been overestimating too much (to be safe). DH says I look more tired and have been acting fairly scattered in this past week (only 3 weeks in).

I am considering eating back all MFP's generous allowance of exercise calories to bump me up to an average 1400 a day. I just got a food scale on Saturday - so we will see. Going to weigh carefully plus continue to monitor trendweight. If I continue losing too fast (currently averaging 1.6lbs/day) by the end of the week, I will increase my intake.

It's interesting that I've been pretty full today and struggling a little to eat more. I've hit 1300 calories today and still have another 142 calories to go (and this is only counting half today's exercise calories). Quite seriously considering attacking to caramel popcorn (which I haven't had since before I started this). But having a hard time justifying the "empty calories" and keep thinking I should just get a fruit instead.
  • morey235
    morey235 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    elaineamj… go for the fruit.
  • morey235
    Options
    chulipa…. I also have a hard time once in awhile to get to 1200calories, and sometimes eat less. They say this isn't good for you to eat less.
  • morey235
    Options
    I'm not hungry at 1200 calories. But the scale just won't budge.
  • morey235
    Options
    cardertaxidermy… I eat a lot of the same thing also, but I switch up my food for lunch and dinner.
  • elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    @morey235 I ended up carefully weighing out some caramel popcorn LOL! I did also have a few cherries AND a blueberry/cottage cheese "ice cream". It was like gorging on desserts last night - only all carefully within my calories. Still, I kinda wish I had saved 50-100 calories for today instead. Forgot that we have birthday cake in the office this afternoon. Ack!
  • morey235
    Options
    Just eat a tiny piece of cake, or just let it go… :)
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I started at 1200 and lost a lot of weight quickly (like 35lbs in 3 months, but found I couldn't stay at 1200 without being a complete *kitten* to everyone around me. Now I'm at 1490 and much happier. I'm only losing about a pound a week but I don't feel as deprived.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I started at 1200 and lost a lot of weight quickly (like 35lbs in 3 months, but found I couldn't stay at 1200 without being a complete *kitten* to everyone around me. Now I'm at 1490 and much happier. I'm only losing about a pound a week but I don't feel as deprived.

This^

OP - 1200 is MFP's default minimum (before exercise). Sometimes we get "assigned" 1200 because it's appropriate (petite and/or senior) and sometimes we get "assigned" 1200 because our weekly weight loss goals are aggressive.

Either way, find a number you can live with for awhile. I eat more (5'5" - 54 YO) because losing slower helps me retain a larger percentage of lean muscle.

"The scale won't budge" - for how long? When you get within 10-15 pounds of goal, a 1/2 pound a week loss is good progress. A 1/2 pound loss can easily be masked by water weight (high sodium, TOM, sore muscles retain water)....one week is not a very long time.

Double check your entries. Some foods are entered incorrectly (by MFP users). Measure solids with a scale for the best accuracy.
  • LuanaBean
    LuanaBean Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I am losing on 1600 a day. Also watching carbs, though, because I have pre-diabetes. I reached my goal of losing 22 pounds in four months (I lost it in three).
  • awolfamonglilacs
    awolfamonglilacs Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1 and 168 and on 1300 Cal. I was actually kind of wondering if I anyone else was near that. I feel like it sounds low but any macro calculator I try gives me about that number.
  • aimeelee76
    aimeelee76 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    morey235 wrote: »
    I'm not hungry at 1200 calories. But the scale just won't budge.

Me too. so frustrating!
  • morey235
    Options
    I am really depressed today. Going on 4 weeks now, I go down 1 lb and then gain 2 lbs.. keeps going on and on,
    I stay on 1200 actually a little less, but NOTHING>
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Not since I learned it was completely unnecessary. I stick to about 1850 when losing and refuse to go below 1700.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    morey235 wrote: »
    I am really depressed today. Going on 4 weeks now, I go down 1 lb and then gain 2 lbs.. keeps going on and on,
    I stay on 1200 actually a little less, but NOTHING>

Are you sure this isn't a logging issue?