Is it true that a cheat meal can go over calories ?

Options
So I'm close to my goal and about to start maintaining my weight and I was wondering if let's say I have a good week of logging that once a week I can go over my calorie range with a cheat meal ? Would this cause weight gain if I'm maintaining and it's only one day a week ? And I don't mean like vastly over every week. Also I heard that a cheat meal can be considered anything you want to eat within 2 hours , is this true ? I never really have cheat meals but I want to start once I begin maintaining . An example would be like I stay within my goal to maintain for an entire week and then on Sunday I have a brownie cake at a resturaunt or like a bagel or something . Could I have one meal like this every week and still maintain ? Also in regard to the 2 hour thing , is it true that if I maintain for the week except for one day that I can eat whatever I want in 2 hours and still maintain consistently if I continue to do this ?

Replies

• drevaquera
    drevaquera Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    calories in and calories burned= weight loss or weight gain. 3500 calories more or less = 1lb
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I calorie cycle. Basically, during thw week I eat around 1300-1400, and weekends I eat 2000-2500. At least one day of the weekend, sometimes both I go over my maintenance calories, but as my overall intake for the week averages out to under my maintenance I lose weight.

The calories you eat don't 'reset' daily or anything, it is the trend over time that matters.
  • livelaughloveandfit
    Options
    Yes you can have a cheat meal a week! I have one every week and I am still loosing weight! I have to have one to keep sane! lol I still lose about 2 pounds a week with a cheat meal. It wont hurt your progress!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Let's be reasonable. How would your body knows the calories don't count in those 2 hours? If you ate 10 pizzas in those 2 hours how would your body know it is those 2 hours that don't count and not a different 2 hours when you ate only a small salad?

A reasonable cheat meal probably isn't going to do a thing, except maybe some water weight if you eat a lot of sodium, but I wouldn't go so far to say eating as much food as humanly possible in 2 hours isn't going to cause some issues.
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    I missed the 2 hours thing. That's one of the more.... interesting things I've ever heard. It's all about the calories. Food timing is irrelevant, and it's all about how much you eat, not how fast you eat it.
  • jjelly_swag
    jjelly_swag Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    One cheat meal a week won't hurt anything. Just don't go crazy...don't stuff yourself until you're so uncomfortable you don't want to do anything. There's a cheat meal and then there's being greedy lol. On my cheat meal day, I still work out and plan my cheat meal for later so I know that I will get the workout in no matter what. Also, my other meals during that day will be low fat, so I don't feel so bad. It doesn't matter when you eat it, or in what amount of time...just be reasonable. Also, know that you will retain water weight, you can fluctuate a lot the next day, just don't freak out.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Yes it could cause you to gain. If your maintenance calories are 2200 and you more or less average that 6 days a week but on the 7th eat 2500, over the long term you will gain. Many people gain this way. Not everyone gains weight eating over every day.
  • datsundriver87
    datsundriver87 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    It's all about the average. If you eat 1500 calories 6 days in a row and on the 7th you eat 4000 calories, it's basically the same thing as eat 1857 calories a day for 7 days. So if mfp says you need to eat less than 1700 calories a day to lose weight, you will gain. Having one day of being over your calorie goal is fine and helpful to allot of people, but you still have to pay attention to it and average it into your progress.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    It would depend on how everything else is averaging out over weeks and months...and years.

I don't log and have maintained going on three years...my natural eating tendencies will have me over eat at times but there are also days when I under-eat because not hungry or busy or whatever...the net effect over the last three years has been maintenance. If I have a big eating day or a party or holiday or whatever...I just sort of naturally compensate for that because I will naturally tend to eat less or I will crave a bunch of veggies and other low calorie foods following said holiday or occasion.

It just depends on what the net effect is.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Yes it could cause you to gain. If your maintenance calories are 2200 and you more or less average that 6 days a week but on the 7th eat 2500, over the long term you will gain. Many people gain this way. Not everyone gains weight eating over every day.

I agree with this. Say, your weekly calories to maintain are 12,600. If you eat over that consistently you will slowly gain weight, depending how far over you go of course. If you plan to have a high day, you need to make up for it elsewhere to keep yourself on an even keel
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I missed the 2 hours thing. That's one of the more.... interesting things I've ever heard. It's all about the calories. Food timing is irrelevant, and it's all about how much you eat, not how fast you eat it.

I could easily crush a week's deficit and then some in a 2-hour "cheat meal". An hour at the Chinese buffet, 30 minutes at the ice cream place down the street and I'd be at an easy 5000-6000 calories minimum, with 30 minutes to spare. :)
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

I could easily crush a week's deficit and then some in a 2-hour "cheat meal". An hour at the Chinese buffet, 30 minutes at the ice cream place down the street and I'd be at an easy 5000-6000 calories minimum, with 30 minutes to spare. :)

Man, I hear ya. 1.5 hours at an all you can eat sushi place, followed by 30 mins of ice cream? Phoar.
  • erimethia_fekre
    erimethia_fekre Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Just depends on what your cheat meal is and how over on calories you're considering. I make it a point to burn off whatever I go over in calories during the week to make up for endulging. Of course my treat is my oatmeal recipe :/
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Man, I hear ya. 1.5 hours at an all you can eat sushi place, followed by 30 mins of ice cream? Phoar.

Our Chinese buffet includes all you can eat sushi. ;)

(And I make them regret that decision every time I go in there - I can throw down sushi at an alarming rate!)
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I usually 'budget' for weekends, or plan to do some extra cardio to help burn any overages off, but I never go wild crazy- I think the most I've been over in the past month is 500 calories or so, and that was the chocolate souffle that was so dang worth it, I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat. :)

• L_Master
    L_Master Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    So I'm close to my goal and about to start maintaining my weight and I was wondering if let's say I have a good week of logging that once a week I can go over my calorie range with a cheat meal ? Would this cause weight gain if I'm maintaining and it's only one day a week ? And I don't mean like vastly over every week. Also I heard that a cheat meal can be considered anything you want to eat within 2 hours , is this true ? I never really have cheat meals but I want to start once I begin maintaining . An example would be like I stay within my goal to maintain for an entire week and then on Sunday I have a brownie cake at a resturaunt or like a bagel or something . Could I have one meal like this every week and still maintain ? Also in regard to the 2 hour thing , is it true that if I maintain for the week except for one day that I can eat whatever I want in 2 hours and still maintain consistently if I continue to do this ?

Depends on the deficit you're running. If you are losing 1-2lbs per week, then unless it's more on the 'ridiculous binge' side of the spectrum as compared to a planned refeed, the cheat meal is not going to effect you. Let's say you eat a pretty darn generous 3,000 kcal cheat meal and are a smaller female, that does an hour of moderate exercise. TDEE in that case is probably around 1800kcal for the day. So you're meal would create perhaps a 2,000 kcal deficit (accounting for eating more than probably this one meal.

If you're running a 750 kcal/day deficit, or 1.5 lbs/wk loss, that's still only blocks out a little less than 3 days.

Assuming a more reasonable cheat meal of 1,500 kcal, then you're hardly doing any 'damage' at all.

Basically this only becomes any sort of an issue if you have cheat meals that are ridiculous binges, or if you are trying to lose the weight really slowly, on the order of less than 0.5 lbs/wk (250 kcal/day deficit or less).
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It's just science. Doesn't matter when you eat the food. What matters is the calories... 3500 over maintenance = 1 pound.
  • chelseyperry735
    chelseyperry735 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the help !!! I learned a lot from this and think I may start the cycle calorie thing that looked interesting . Thank you again !
  • chelseyperry735
    chelseyperry735 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    It would depend on how everything else is averaging out over weeks and months...and years.

I don't log and have maintained going on three years...my natural eating tendencies will have me over eat at times but there are also days when I under-eat because not hungry or busy or whatever...the net effect over the last three years has been maintenance. If I have a big eating day or a party or holiday or whatever...I just sort of naturally compensate for that because I will naturally tend to eat less or I will crave a bunch of veggies and other low calorie foods following said holiday or occasion.

It just depends on what the net effect is.

Wow three years of maintenance that's awesome . Do you have any advice on how to maintain ? Are there any certain principles you follow ? I find that there is more information out there on how to lose weight rather than how to maintain it .