What do to with kids that is free?

Options
Amy_B
Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
We will be saving most of our money the next 2 months for vacation the first week of August. I am running out of free things to do with my kids. We just set up their swing set, and we don't have a big pool but several small ones. We visit the library weekly. Any other ideas besides going to the park? THANKS!

Replies

• BifDiehl
    BifDiehl Posts: 474
    Options
    Any state parks in your area? We use these to go hiking, playing in streams, playgrounds, and at the end we pay a few bucks to use the pool.
  • ajfranzen77
    ajfranzen77 Posts: 118
    Options
    Bike rides? My kids LOVE chasing bubbles, but they are 3 and 4 so it doesn't take a lot to entertain them. I wish I had more ideas for you.

Good Luck!
  • ♥Amy♥
    ♥Amy♥ Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I have a 7 year old and 2 year old and my 7 year old has made up a summer calendar for each day (except weekends). For instance, one day so far has been Dinosaur Day. He got to watch a Dinosaur movie (Land Before Time), played with his dinosaur toys, and wanted to eat like a dinosaur so he requested for dinner to have Pork Chops (for the meat eaters) and Broccoli (for the leaf eaters). Another day is Toy Story Day, which follows the same general idea. It's free and doesn't involve us going anywhere. Just an idea for you.

We generally go to the local library for storytime, go to our subdivision pool, play with the sprinkler in the backyard and once a week go to a different town (about a 15-20 mile drive) to do something there (water fountains to play in, Chick Fil A story/craft time, lunch with Daddy at work, etc.).

Oh yeah, certain movie theatres have $1 movies for kids during the summer. You could always check into that too. Not free, but cheap.

Hope some of this helps.
  • AudgePaudge
    AudgePaudge Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Look at your community's website, there might be free activities listed there. Also, Lowes and Home Depot have free workshops once a month for kids. You'd have to check out the website for the dates. If your library has a website, then it might have free kid activities also. Museums are a cheap and fun thing to do with kiddos also :)
  • skinnymeinaz
    skinnymeinaz Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Depends if you live in a bigger city. I take my son to the mall they have a large play area for the kids (bring hand sanitizer), my son loves the gym daycare ($10 a month and I get to workout), some of the rec. parks have indoor gyms/basketball courts and have activities (havent' been to one in years- my older children are in their mid 20's and I am starting over), some book stores have story time, michael's craft store has craft days (some free/some you have to buy stuff), Lowes' and HomeDepot have craft Saturdays too (check what saturdays though). Hope this helps!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Take your kids hiking! My parents started taking me on easy hikes when I was four or five years old. It instilled a lifelong love of activity and the outdoors for my brother and me.
  • cammons
    cammons Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Not exactly free, but I was at Big Lots yesterday and picked up a few kites for $1 each. Something to change up the usual park routine a bit.

Most museums have a free day or free evening once or twice a month you could check out too.
  • RubyA2011
    RubyA2011 Posts: 66
    Options
    i take the kids Geocaching.

we often make a day of it and go somewhere totally different taking a picnic ad making a day of it. sometimes we just do local ones and just spend a few hours on a weekend or on a sunny afternoon after school.

http://www.geocaching.com/
  • meggers123
    meggers123 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    look up "free kids crafts"

plan a scavenger hunt (i.e. find: 5 different leaves, 10 different colored rocks, a branch that is longer than your arm, etc), or in the house (find 5 blue things, something that starts with every letter of the alphabet)

kids yoga on the lawn :)

a (healthy) picnic.. taking a walk to find the perfect place.

set up an obstacle course (egg walk, hop scotch, sprint)

Have fun!
  • shellshell43
    shellshell43 Posts: 116
    Options

plan a scavenger hunt (i.e. find: 5 different leaves, 10 different colored rocks, a branch that is longer than your arm, etc), or in the house (find 5 blue things, something that starts with every letter of the alphabet)

I do this all the time with my daycare children..the scavenger hunt. It can take place in the back yard, at the park, but their favorite is when we are going for a walk.

we also go on a treasure hunt. I draw a map and we follow clues until we find the treasure which may consist of side walk chalk etc..something to entertain them for a while..
  • meggers123
    meggers123 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    More ideas: Do weekly fitness goals for your kids, how high/far they can jump, how fast they can run to a tree and back, how many jumping jacks they can do, if they can touch their toes, and how long (if) they can balance on 1 leg. Not only is it fun, but you'll be teaching them a good, active lifestyle. And they'll be so proud when they beat their own records!

We also did how long you can hula hoop, throwing a ball and back and forth without it hitting the ground (baseball size or beach ball), how long they can continually jump on a trampoline (if you have on or access to one), floating in the pool or treading water...

All of these can be made harder or easier based on your kids ages. :)

Make up their own lyrics to a song (maybe give them a theme)
    staple pages to make a book and have them write/illustrate their own stories, you can help them. :)
    Act out scenes from a favorite book or movie (and laugh at yourself while doing it!)
    Have them memorize a poem to impress their dad or grandparents or neighbors with (love Shel Silverstein for this)
    Plan a "lesson" and teach your kids about something new, i.e. sea animals, rocks, yoga... anything (use the internet for research before hand. ) and give them "homework" (coloring a undersea picture for the little ones, writing a poem about seals or sharks for the bigger kids.)

Last one: as a kid we would get to plan one meal a week, help to buy what we needed for it and cook it (I started at age 5 with help from my pop)
  • mmtiernan
    mmtiernan Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    i take the kids Geocaching.

we often make a day of it and go somewhere totally different taking a picnic ad making a day of it. sometimes we just do local ones and just spend a few hours on a weekend or on a sunny afternoon after school.

http://www.geocaching.com/

You could also try letterboxing - similar to geocaching but doesn't require a GPS! Check it out at letterboxing.org and atlasquest.com

Also look up Family Fun magazine online - they always have great, fun ideas that are cheap and easy.
  • bakebunny
    bakebunny Posts: 253
    Options
    Make homemade crafts like play dough or baking (good for teaching skills), camp in the living room when it gets too hot, play carwash either for your car or their toys, have a theme day (We watched How to eat Fried Worms with a spaghetti dinner and dirt cupcakes with gummi worms!), nature walks, plant a garden in paper cups with dried beans, learn how to make butter, make dioramas out of recycled stuff, puppet shows with old socks or lunch bags, tie dye with canned beets...

There's so much you can do if you use your own imagination and think about what you either did, or would have liked to do as a kid.
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Things I remember from my childhood that I plan on bringing out when I have kidlets...

-Pajama Day - where we all hung out in our jarmies - this included a trip to the local video shop to pick out some movies to rent for the day as well as popping into the supermarket to get some snacks for the movie. All in our jarmies... including Mum. Lots of laughter on Pajama Day!

-Upside-Down Day - where we had dinner for breakfast and breakfast for dinner. We also sat on the floor on a blanket to eat our meals instead of at the family table.

-Kids Day - like Mother's or Father's Day except the kids have to do everything - washing, cooking, cleaning the house. Mum was pretty smart, I think!

-Monopoly Day - where we just played Monopoly (or cards, or other board games) and there was no TV or computer allowed (once we got a computer that is!)

-New clothes day - we spent the day in the material shop looking at pattern books for the new clothes Mum wanted to make us. Never mind that we didn't ever buy anything 9 out of 10 times we went!

Growing up with 4 kids in a single-income family, there wasn't much money around. I seem to have a lot of awesome memories of hanging out with my Mum and brothers where we actually spent quality time together. It was amazing! And the times Dad could join in if he happened to be home from work were even better.
  • skypie23
    skypie23 Posts: 38
    Options
    Museums, art galleries with kids activity rooms.
    Check out your local parks website and see what free events they have.
    Woods, beach.
    By a bottle of glycerine from the chemist and make a bucket full of bubble mixture and use things like coat hangers to make giant bubbles.
    I find cutting shapes in potatoes for printing tricky, so DD loves printing with toys, plastic dinosaur and animal feet etc
    google a kettle play dough recipe, takes minutes to make.
    For any upcoming birthdays ask for annual passes for places. DD and I got zoo membership for ours so it only costs me a few quid on the bus to get there and it's a whole day out or a few hours to fill.
    Any free urban farms?
    By a roll of lining wall paper really cheaply and use it to draw zoo/farm/road scenes on,
    google free print out s and activity sheets.
    Visit pet shops, airports, ferry terminals
  • skypie23
    skypie23 Posts: 38
    Options
    That sounds ace Kr8351 :) we never did anything like that when I was a kid.
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    Awesome ideas! Thanks!

I also just remembered that we put up some toys they got for Christmas because they were too involved or needed adult supervision. We should do those too! Maybe I'll make a sort of calender up, since I'm anal like that.

Oh, my husband and I are teachers, so we're off right now, hence needing to "entertain" the kids for 2 months. :wink:
  • Pea4jjab
    Pea4jjab Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    These are all great ideas! We have 9 children, so always looking for things to do that are fun and cheap ;) I especially am interested in the geocaching!!!
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    when I have stale / old bread, I take the kids down to a local pond and they feed little pieces of the bread to the ducks.
  • bekahjk
    bekahjk Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    http://www.pennypinchinmom.com/page/2/ Go down half way. It says five things to do this weekend. I love this website. Not only does she give you all the awesome coupon deals all around but she also tells you every weekend what's going on all around for free!