Open food diary what am I doing wrong?

Options
Can y'all check out my food diary and let me know what I'm doing wrong? Scale is not moving!! I walk 8-12k steps a day and go to the gym 3-5 times a week ( treadmill/eliptica/bike) I lost 60 lbs about 2 years ago counting calories ( gained back about 10) currant weight is 208 so I still have a lot to lose. Thanks!

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    to start, you should be weighing all your food to avoid entries like: Tyson - Breaded Chicken Tenders ~ School, 4 Tenders.

How long have you been stalled? According to your diary you've been under eating on most days assuming your calorie totals are accurate.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Seconding the use of a food scale. You also have a quick add for 800 calories. What was that?
  • mistress8956
    mistress8956 Posts: 265 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    At home I weigh everything I eat on the food scale, to the point I weigh out each individual item in a dish separately so that I'm not getting to much/ to little of a certain thing once it's combined. I work in a school cafeteria and occasionally eat there, so even though the 'school' part might seem inaccurate on that entry it's actually correct, or at least as correct as it can get without bringing my scale to work. I started back up 3 weeks ago, which I know isn't a long time. But literally nothing's happening and I feel like with my activity level/gym time/ calorie counting at least something should be happening
  • mistress8956
    Options
    The 800 cal quick add was a bad moment I ate 8 cookies
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    At home I weigh everything I eat on the food scale, to the point I weigh out each individual item in a dish separately so that I'm not getting to much/ to little of a certain thing once it's combined.

Does your scale not have the tare feature? If not you might want to consider a new one to save yourself a lot of work and dirty dishes.
  • mistress8956
    edited February 2016
    Options
    What is this tare feature u speak of?
    Never mind I googled it lol yes my scale has that
  • galgenstrick
    Options
    How are you judging your progress? When and how often are you weighing yourself?
  • mpat81
    mpat81 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Try adding more veg and reducing the amount of packaged foods. You may be high in sodium and holding on to a lot of water.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    That chart has all you need to know. It doesn't look like you're weighing everything as closely as you say. There are too many whole number servings of packaged foods. Weigh your packaged foods; they can be off by up to 20% according to the regulations, if memory serves me correctly.

Whenever possible, use the USDA entries food of "homemade" entries (unless you're the one making them, of course, and using verified database entries).

When you clean up your logging, you'll see that you're eating far more than you think. Also, once you do realize that and start logging appropriately, please make sure to eat more than the amount you think you're eating now. I see way too many days in the eight and nine hundred calorie range. It's not a problem right now because your diary isn't accurate. If it was accurate, however, those would be unhealthy intake levels.
  • OMP33
    OMP33 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Keep your fat low and get your carbs up, eat 2k calories a day and burn off 500 of it daily. That's the key to success.
  • galgenstrick
    Options
    OMP33 wrote: »
    Keep your fat low and get your carbs up, eat 2k calories a day and burn off 500 of it daily. That's the key to success.

I don't think it work like that for everyone.
  • OMP33
    Options

It's basic calories in vs. calories out. That's what weight loss is.
  • galgenstrick
    edited February 2016
    Options

You're making a grand assumption that everyone's calories out are exactly the same. And you are also implying that ratios of carbs and fat matter for weight loss. They don't, like you said it's calories in calories out.
  • OMP33
    Options

But you're making a grand assumption that everyone's calories out are exactly the same.

Calories in vs. calories out. 2k calories consumed by me and 2k calories consumed by you is the exact same. 500 calories burned by me is the same as 500 calories burned by you. Calories in vs. calories out.
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options

That is only 1/3 of what you just said. You said keep fat low and carb high & that you need to burn off 500 calories daily.

I agree with CICO, but disagree that it is necessary to keep fat low and carbs high or that it is necessary to burn off 500 calories daily.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options

But you're making a grand assumption that everyone's calories out are exactly the same.

Calories in vs. calories out. 2k calories consumed by me and 2k calories consumed by you is the exact same. 500 calories burned by me is the same as 500 calories burned by you. Calories in vs. calories out.

Yes, but not everyone needs 2k calories.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I see lots of prepackaged "diet" foods, shakes, etc., but not too many fruits and vegetables or other "real" foods. You might feel more full and have a more balanced diet if you included a few things that are closer to their natural state. You also might feel more full.
  • OMP33
    Options

I see people eating 1k calories and they definitely don't need that little.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options

I see people eating 1k calories and they definitely don't need that little.

Irrelevant. That still doesn't mean that everyone needs 2k calories.