Talk to me about beet greens

Options
lporter229
lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
I am constantly throwing my beet greens away and I have no idea why. I know that they are edible and I love greens of all types. I have found some simple recipes that I might try, but I was just wondering if anyone could give me some opinions on how they substitute in things. How does their taste and texture compare to other greens? Any places where you have had success or failure using them? They remind me in appearance of Swiss chard. Would this be a good comparison? Any thoughts appreciated!

Replies

• drevaquera
    drevaquera Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    use the same as you would swiss chard. I like to sautee them in olive oil and garlic
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    I steam mine and add a very small amount of butter with a touch of salt and pepper. So good.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    I argued with the produce manager last year to stop cutting them off. Two for one foods are great! Saute them, seer them, add them with bok choy and stir fry, eat them in salads. Make a burrito with them(just cut some of the main shoot back); use them in ways you'd use lettuce or cabbage. Inexpensive, fiber, phytos, micro meeters(is this really a word). Eat dem Greens!
  • AvalonsUnicorn
    AvalonsUnicorn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I was JUST about to look for info on the same thing! also looking for ideas! lol
  • lporter229
    Options
    Thank everyone. Exactly what I was looking for.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    All of the above, and I sometimes toss them in smoothies.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Mine just go in the borscht with the rest of the veggies

but yes, a little olive oil, salt and garlic would be great to...similar to swiss chard (as mentioned above)
  • CathieCats61
    CathieCats61 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Juice or Sautee great fit liver
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I use only organic. They can also be added to morning protein shakes. Yum!
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I
  • NaturalNancy
    Options
    I

• NaturalNancy
    Options
    They're great sautéed with any kind of onion, salt and pepper in smart balance or olive oil!
    Just make sure all of the dirt/grit is washed out.
  • lporter229
    Options
    I just wanted to revisit this thread to say that since I originally posted, I have been using my beet greens for so many things. I am in love with them. I put them in just about anything I would put spinach in, pasta sauce, hash, beans and green. I will never throw my beet greens away again. thanks to everyone who responded!
  • NewGemini130
    NewGemini130 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    They're also good raw- thinly sliced, balsamic/tamari/sesame oil toss. Yum!
  • mylifeisbeautiful
    mylifeisbeautiful Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    One of my favourite Ukrainian recipes is called beetniks (adorable name). It's a rich dish- essentially little pieces of bread dough wrapped in beet leaves and baked in a creamy dill sauce. It is sooooo good. I beg my aunt to make them when I visit!
  • adrinesarkisian5370
    Options
    I boil them in a little water and salt, drain, let cool, mix with garlic and plain yogurt
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Had some the other day.

Cut them into bite sized strips, sauteed them in wok w/ginger and garlic and served them w/other veggies and protein w/boiled ramen (w/o the broth; too much sodium) with just a dash of sesame seed oil for taste.

Saving the beets to roast later.
  • leahkathleen13
    leahkathleen13 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Use pan spray to sauté, then scramble eggs in. Great in a tortilla!
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    we use greens of all kinds in our smoothies. If we don't like the taste, we also put fruit in to hide the taste, if we like it, we use less fruit. It's a good way to get nutrients out of things you don't like the taste of