Butt building and belly burning at the same time

Options
almas512
almas512 Posts: 17 Member
edited February 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I have some belly fat to burn and a butt to perk up. I'm 5'3" and 129 pounds, I eat 1500-1700 cals a day and burn 2300 cals (on gym days 5 days a week) a day. I have a good cal deficit for losing weight because I have been steadily losing a pound a week (it's been a month). However, I am feeling discouraged because my butt has not, if it has then very little, perked up. Each day I'll do 30 mins of cardio then 30 mins of ab/butt stuff like using plate weights and dumbells of 15-20 pounds and ankle weights 5 pounds each and I will definitely feel the burning in my flutes as I do the workouts (squats, lunges, deadlifts, bridges, many variations of each). Then I also do cardio stuff like jump squats and rocket squats, etc. I change it up every time I don't do all of these at the same time. I do this at my gym in front of the mirror probably 15-20 mins a day during the hour session that I go. However, since it's been a month, should I start devoting entire hour sessions to the workouts for my butt? Is something wrong with my diet? I'm usually at 30% protein 30% fat 40% carbs. But lots of times it could be a bit off of course. I am very devoted to the diet, I eat very healthily and drink lots of water. My concern is eating enough to lose belly fat but also have enough for me to perk up my butt. Let me know your thoughts and tips. Please don't send links as I've already searched the Internet for an answer with no luck.
******please DO NOT tell me about what's on the internet I just want advice from other girls doing the same

Replies

• sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Have you ready anything from Bret Contreras? If not, google and follow him.
  • almas512
    Options

I have and I've followed a lot of his tips for the past month
  • stialoves
    stialoves Posts: 2 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I've learned that in order to gain muscle, you must be in a surplus. It's possible to do in a deficit, but it will just take longer. You body needs those extra calories. Also make sure you are hitting your protein. I aim for 1g per lb of bodyweight.

I started off the same, in a deficit. I hit the weight that I wanted, then went up to maintenance calories. From there, I gradually increased to 300 calories over maintenance. I know it can be scary since you lost all the weight already, but it's totally different when you're constantly working out as well. I went from 112 to 120 (at the end of my mini bulk), but I swear to you my body looks better now. My waist stayed the exact same, but you can definitely tell that muscle was packed on :wink: Don't let the scale completely define you.

In terms of lifting, make sure you're using weights that aren't too light, aim for 4 sets of 10-12 reps per exercise (except if you are going really heavy on the compound movements such as squats and deadlifts), and squeeeeze your glutes! Pushing through your heels also puts more emphasis on your glutes rather than your quads or calves (if you are using the top of your feet to push up). Squats, lunges, sumo deadlifts, SLDL, and hip thrusts are a few of my favorites (but I love to go heavy, especially on compound movements. Anywhere from 2-6 reps or 1RM). It takes a while though, so patience is key and just keep at it :)
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    your butt or any other muscle in not going to look "perky" until you lose the fat that is covering the muscle.
  • karmaheart
    karmaheart Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    stialoves wrote: »
    I've learned that in order to gain muscle, you must be in a surplus. It's possible to do in a deficit, but it will just take longer. You body needs those extra calories. Also make sure you are hitting your protein. I aim for 1g per lb of bodyweight.

I started off the same, in a deficit. I hit the weight that I wanted, then went up to maintenance calories. From there, I gradually increased to 300 calories over maintenance. I know it can be scary since you lost all the weight already, but it's totally different when you're constantly working out as well. I went from 112 to 120 (at the end of my mini bulk), but I swear to you my body looks better now. My waist stayed the exact same, but you can definitely tell that muscle was packed on :wink: Don't let the scale completely define you.

In terms of lifting, make sure you're using weights that aren't too light, aim for 4 sets of 10-12 reps per exercise (except if you are going really heavy on the compound movements such as squats and deadlifts), and squeeeeze your glutes! Pushing through your heels also puts more emphasis on your glutes rather than your quads or calves (if you are using the top of your feet to push up). Squats, lunges, sumo deadlifts, SLDL, and hip thrusts are a few of my favorites (but I love to go heavy, especially on compound movements. Anywhere from 2-6 reps or 1RM). It takes a while though, so patience is key and just keep at it :)
    Great advice!
  • KickboxFanatic
    KickboxFanatic Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Great butts are not built in 4 weeks. It can take months of hard work and heavy lifting to recomp the body. For me personally, it's taken a year of heavy powerlifting and doing squats and deadlifts at weights much higher than my own bodyweight to finally see a difference in the shape and size of my glutes. Not saying that it can be done differently or faster but this was my experience.
  • time2cutnow
    time2cutnow Posts: 150 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Building a butt is one of the lengthiest processes of body building. It took me 6 months of glute work to finally see results. I went months without noticing any change, then took a deload week and immediately saw changes when returning to my routine - they've been coming steady ever since. Be patient. Women think squats=booty ..this is true, but it's not easy, not even close. You will need a surplus.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    almas512 wrote: »

I have and I've followed a lot of his tips for the past month

You don't build a noticeable amount if muscle in a month
  • almas512
    Options

This is the best advice thank you, I think I'm going to first lose some body fat. When I get to my goal I'll start increasing again and doing more strength training to target glutes. Hopefully in 2 months I expect to lose 9 more pounds
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options

This- More weight! Heavy squats!