Extra workouts and weight gain

Options
Last week I began working out twice a day every other day (Mon., Wed., Fri.). On the even days (Tues, Thurs, Sat) I just did one workout per day. I change it up between elliptical, running (3 miles) and workout dvd's (mostly BL Bootcamp and Jillian Michaels No More Trouble Zones). I wanted to jumpstart my fitness and get off the plateau I have been on for about two months. Without changing my eating habits since I am almost always under my caloric intake I thought this would work. However, I am disappointed to find that I have officially gained almost 3 lbs. Does anyone have any experience with this? I have heard that I should increase my water. I have tried that the last couple of days but it didn't change anything so far.

So, I want to know should I quit the extra workouts? Should I continue with the plan since I physically feel really good and just wait for the excess lbs to come off? Someone else suggested taking water pills. I haven't ever done that before and I am not sure I want to rid my body unnaturally of water.

Thanks for the help!

Replies

• songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Don't take water pills!

It's natural to gain weight when you drastically increase your exercise. Your body is increasing its stored glycogen (sugar) which holds water. It holds a lot of water! Plus inflammation can cause water retention, and you are going to have an inflammatory response to the exercise (which is good).

It will even out over time. :)
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I tried to look at your diary but it is not open. If you haven't changed your eating and you have increased your workouts, you probably are not eating enough and your metabolism could be all out of whack.
  • absolament
    absolament Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you've just gained muscle. Give it a week, then the scale should start dipping down again as your new muscle starts burning fat cells. Or, it could be you're not eating enough calories and your body is pulling it's nutrients from your muscles instead of fat.
  • sarahjj1
    sarahjj1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I tried to look at your diary but it is not open. If you haven't changed your eating and you have increased your workouts, you probably are not eating enough and your metabolism could be all out of whack.

Just for the record, I am not a perfect eater. I could be better, but overall I am under on my caloric intake. Most of the time I eat back about half or more of my exercise calories as well, which as I understand it is the healthy way to do this.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Open up your food diary so that I/we can take a look and offer suggestions based on your habits.

Also, you have not gained muscle. It is incredibly hard to build more muscle tissue and it's nearly impossible to do while eating at a calorie deficit. I don't know why everyone perpetuates this crazy myth, but it isn't true. Most weight gain is from water retention.
  • sarahjj1
    sarahjj1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Open up your food diary so that I/we can take a look and offer suggestions based on your habits.

It's open now.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Since you aren't very consistent with your logging it's hard to tell much from your diary. But, from the days you do have it looks like you need a lot more fresh fruits and vegetables and that you could use more whole grains. You also need to make sure you're getting at least 8 glasses of water every day. Cutting out the refined sugar, refined carbs and coffee from your diet would be really good. You might also consider raising your daily calorie goal. Even if you're eating half or more of your exercise calories your body may not be getting the nutrition it needs to function properly. I know that if I get less than 1400 net calories I stop burning fat completely.
  • SaraWutzke
    Options
    I agree that it's probably that you're not eating enough calories. Also, your water should drastically increase if you're working out twice per day...probably no less than three liters a day. I agree whole heartedly that you should not take any water pills or other medication to rid yourself of water! You're doing great!