Bakers: How can I get more protein into this muffin recipe?

Options
Triplestep
Triplestep Posts: 239 Member
Someone (can't remember who) recently posted a link to this Morning Glory Muffin recipe. I love this kind of muffin, and I knew I could play with it a little and get more muffins with less sugar. (Subbed 3/4 C of one of the baking blends for the 1C of sugar.)

I ended up with 18 muffins, each with 181 Calories, 19g Carbs, 3g Fiber, 10g Fat, and 3g Protein. That's a lot of calories, carbs and fat for not that much return on the protein.

Any ideas for getting more protein into these things? I was thinking of subbing out the applesauce for Greek yogurt. They're pretty tasty, but not "oh, I gotta have these". For the calories, I'd rather have a protein bar or a yogurt. Or even a couple of cookies!

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is said to be a good substitute for oil. I'd use that for the oil and keep the applesauce for the flavor.
  • Triplestep
    Options
    That's a good idea. Would cut down on the fat and probably the calories.
  • Ninkyou
    Options
    Yes, I think it would drop the calories considerably. I wouldn't worry about the fat, but if you're trying to cut calories and up the protein, I think it would be a good move.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Protein powder. Quest makes on that they market specifically for baking. Its unflavored.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Add chopped bacon
  • Ninkyou
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Add chopped bacon

drool
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I also add protein powder to my muffins, just the vanilla whey stuff that I have in the cupboard. I also add hemp hearts and chia seeds. The hemp is easy to use - just add it, but the chia can be difficult as it makes that thick gel - bake it up as soon as you mix it all together. You can add some extra egg whites, too. Greek yogurt and cottage cheese are often tossed into my muffin recipes, too.

Good luck. I'm always fiddling, too. If I start to worry that the muffins will be a disaster, I throw in a handful of chocolate chips, because they make a dry muffin so much more pleasant!!
  • JMcCavery
    JMcCavery Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Maybe try subbing out on of the cups of flour for a cup of almond meal?
  • Triplestep
    Options
    Protein powder. Quest makes on that they market specifically for baking. Its unflavored.
    Oh, good to know. I searched a bit before posting this and saw some references to protein powder creating a gooey result in baking.
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Add chopped bacon
    haha! Maybe someone will try this, but pork is not a meat I eat.
    spzjlb wrote: »
    I also add protein powder to my muffins, just the vanilla whey stuff that I have in the cupboard. I also add hemp hearts and chia seeds. The hemp is easy to use - just add it, but the chia can be difficult as it makes that thick gel - bake it up as soon as you mix it all together. You can add some extra egg whites, too. Greek yogurt and cottage cheese are often tossed into my muffin recipes, too.

Good luck. I'm always fiddling, too. If I start to worry that the muffins will be a disaster, I throw in a handful of chocolate chips, because they make a dry muffin so much more pleasant!!
    So you just use regular whey w/no gooey results? Good to know. As for the chocolate chips, maybe I should have added those to the chicken I made tonight :smile:
    JMcCavery wrote: »
    Maybe try subbing out on of the cups of flour for a cup of almond meal?
    excellent idea! The fat and calories would go up, but I could eliminate any extra nuts and try the yogurt substitution and see what I end up with.

• antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    Greek yogurt is said to be a good substitute for oil. I'd use that for the oil and keep the applesauce for the flavor.
    So in any cake or muffin recipe will yogurt work in place of oil? I have used applesauce in place of oil but greek yogurt would be awesome for protien
  • RebelDiamond
    RebelDiamond Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I agree with subbing a portion of the dry ingredients with protein powder. Works a treat for pancakes :smile:
  • nicoiam69
    nicoiam69 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Personally I'd sub nut meal for some or all of the flour and also add seeds of some type - even a 1/4 teaspoon sprinkled on top of each one before baking would help.
    I'm constantly trying to add more protein as I rarely make my goal but love having a muffin for brekky occasionally - I usually then have a protein shake but like the idea of adding protein powder to the muffin - think I'll try that in my next batch of oat bran breakfast muffins
  • Ninkyou
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    So in any cake or muffin recipe will yogurt work in place of oil? I have used applesauce in place of oil but greek yogurt would be awesome for protien

I would assume so. I have a site that lists substitutes and it says specifically for baking, so that'd be cake and muffins. I usually do applesauce but that's because I like the flavor it adds.
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Good to know! Thanks :)
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I'd be careful subbing in the almond meal AND the yogurt like that all at once. You might end up with hockey pucks. Almond meal is wonderful for a great many things - I use it often for crumble toppings, pie/crisp/cheesecake bases, meatballs, etc - but it's very dense and if you're looking for a baked good to retain a muffin-y texture, the more almond meal you sub in the more of that you're going to lose. And the greek yogurt will lend moisture the same way that oil will, but it also won't lend the same tenderizing factor and you again risk a chewy, dense cake. They're good swaps, to be sure, but I wouldn't go all out with it, especially since it looks like they've already swapped half of the oil from a traditional muffin recipe for the applesauce.

I think you could add some almond meal if you wanted, but if you're going to use yogurt, swap out the applesauce and not the oil. Or at least make a half batch at a time so you don't waste ingredients! Who knows, it could be wonderful!
  • damiarhan
    damiarhan Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Trutein Protein Powder bakes wonderfully! I make protein muffins all the time. They have a Cinnabun flavor that works awesome to make some blueberry ones. I've also used their red velvet to make some and used some Greek yogurt and mixed with sugar free cheesecake pudding mix to make a "frosting". Just cut out a portion of flour and replace it with the protein powder and you shouldn't have any issues.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Three ideas.

1. Replace much of the flour with oat flour.
    2. Add a tablespoon or two of vanilla protein powder.
    3. Separate the eggs and whip the whites until fluffy. Mix the rest of the ingredients including the yolks and then fold in the whipped eggs. You will get more muffins with the same ingredients. You MIGHT get away with 4 eggs.
  • a_marie52
    a_marie52 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Add more nuts! Throw some chopped or finely ground almonds or pecans in mix or sprinkle them on top! They're a great way to add a little extra protein and they contain the "good" fats
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Why do you need more protein into your muffin? do you lack a kidney failure or bone loss?

I'm sorry, normally I don't engage on this sort of thing and avoid seeming like I'm calling people out for poor grammar/spelling at all costs, but my curiosity is downright killing me here....what on earth does this MEAN?