Sub for sour cream?

Options
Angellore
Angellore Posts: 519 Member
Hi all

I want to make the recipe for Beef stoganoff that's on the skinny taste website one evening this week, but I notice it has sour cream in it, and sometimes it is difficult to get the low fat version here in the UK. Can I sub something else? Would 0% greek yoghurt work? Or low fat creme fraiche?

Here is the link to the recipe:
http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/04/moms-beef-stroganoff.html#more

Replies

• Riane22
    Riane22 Posts: 18
    Options
    There is not much that you can sub for sour cream. I have a recipe that uses cream of mushroom soup ( they have a fat free version of that also ) with just a little bit of sour cream. The best you can do is just look for the fat free kind.
  • Andie122
    Andie122 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I always sub 0% Greek Yogurt for sour cream, and it works for us!
  • cindybickler
    cindybickler Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    i use greek yougurt. it tastes just like sour cream on a baked potato. i bet it would would work great with your recipe.
  • bjam1234
    bjam1234 Posts: 75
    Options
    I have used plain yogurt in stove top stuff and strained yogurt (closer to greek style or a yogurt cheese) in pastries with very tasty results :)

if you have easy access to low fat creme fraiche then I think that would be closer, isn't it a sort of subtle version of sour cream? I cannot say I have used it as it is defs a luxury item where I shop!
  • SheilaSisco
    SheilaSisco Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt (the plain variety) is actually a GREAT substitute for sour cream... we use it in our house all the time. :)
  • trishlambert
    trishlambert Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I always sub 0% Greek Yogurt for sour cream, and it works for us!

Me too. I use it for sour cream, and also for heavy cream in cream soups. Works great!!! Hope the stroganoff is terrific!
  • andyxbear
    andyxbear Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    *bump*
  • TriciaHein
    Options
    Yogurt is the way to go.
  • meggers123
    meggers123 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I've used creme fraiche in recipes calling for sour creme, since it's hard to find here i germany, too. The consistency is great for it. I haven't tried yogurt, but I bet it would work too. sounds yummy.
  • briabner
    briabner Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Creme fraiche is going to have a milder taste than sour cream but you could alos try fat free cream cheese and melt it in. I typically use cream cheese instead of sour cream (I dont lke the taste lol)
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Tofutti Sour Cream!!! It's a great alternative!
  • Debbiecastor
    Options
    Yup...the greek yogurt will work great!! :smile:
  • Tiffani3089
    Tiffani3089 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Fat Free Greek Yogart! MMM..