Hi, very new to the program/very discouraged

Options
I am 46 and other than my shoulder and neck I am healthy but since surgery i am restricted from exercise and I may be facing 3 more surgeries one with my neck and one with my shoulder. It is disheartening to not be able to do anything but walk and that hurts my back after just a short time. The heated pools are too hot and break me out in hives. I feel like everything is against me.

Just want to say hi :-)

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit is for weight loss and exercise is for health. Any exercise you do is better than nothing but is not necessary for weight loss.
  • abrandt61105
    abrandt61105 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Don't worry to much about exercise. I am 42 and have been doing this 20 days with minimal exercise & have lost 5 pounds. I stick to my calories I am allowed and chose healthier foods. It make take a while but stay positive, good luck.
  • jessDly87
    jessDly87 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just had surgery as well and am completely immobilized. Its def hard to feel healthy when your physically helpless. So good luck to you
  • MrRheritage
    MrRheritage Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Im about the same age as you. Don't be disheartened, cliché: this journey is a marathon not a sprint. In the first couple of weeks you might see some significant results just by cutting out the crap as your body goes into shock and starts raiding the easy access energy stores. As you begin to lose weight you will feel fitter and you may begin to find walking easier. It's important to gradually build up your exercise because as you lose weight you require less calories so attempting to reach your weight loss target by diet control alone becomes an uphill battle. Those extra 100 calories you burn from a 30 minute stroll can make a lot of difference and you should be pleased if you finish the day under your target cals.

Take it steady and try to build up an exercise programme gradually, the companion app, map my walk is great and it automatically updates myfitnesspal. It can be used to track all kinds of outdoor activities and exercise.

Also, don't give up if you lose very little at times, even if your approach is consistent, the way your body reacts is not. There are good weeks and bad weeks. Scan as many bar codes as possible, myfitnesspal will warn you if a food contains too much fat sugar or salt and help you identify the healthy stuff in your diet, this can be fun and also enlightening
  • MrRheritage
    MrRheritage Posts: 9 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Also have a look at the app called ingress, it is a great way to discover your surroundings without realising how far you have actually walked. I average about 100km a month playing it fairly casually!