I stopped tracking on MFP and gained 30 pounds

Options
About a year ago I used MFP as a tool to help me get in better shape. At my best I was about 170 pounds. Since then, I stopped tracking my diet and exercise and gain 30 pounds and even went over 200 pounds for a brief period. I wish I had taken pictures of my gut to show how bad I got.

I've done this multiple times in my life. I get in great shape for a few months, lose interest and gain back the weight.

I think my problem has been in not reaching out to others for help. I may have assumed that I knew better since I had no problem losing weight.

I now believe that it doesn't matter how in shape in get, I still need help and support to stay in shape like anyone else. Going it alone only works to a point.

On MFP we often share diet and fitness strategies but I think the real value is in the support and encouragement we get from others.

How has the community and friends on MFP helped you?

Replies

• lauragoat
    lauragoat Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Lucky you... I gained back 80.... and I'm back... headed in the right direction again. This was after a 150 pound loss. You can do this again....always reach out and ask for help!!!!
  • TheChrissyT
    TheChrissyT Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I have real life friends on here as well as interesting strangers. I have women who are starting out where I am and women who are already where I want to be. I have chosen friends that are hardworking, honest, and kind in all areas of my real life and mfp groups because having people that are happy for you is key. I really enjoy looking at some of my energizer bunny friends exercise logs and food journals, because even though I know that I'm not capable of that YET, I know that I will be... and sometimes looking at your friend who is struggling and saying, "You want this, you can do this, you deserve this, you need this, get it!" is the same as telling your inner doubter the same thing.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I love my friends on my FL, they make me want to log in everyday. I like to encourage them and I am encouraged by them. Surround yourself with people you like, it's all good.

And for you personally, when you reach your goal weight you can not get complacent with your eating. Mindfulness is what you need for success. All the logging you do is teaching you how to let go of tracking. You can do this!!!
  • phildog49
    phildog49 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I don't know what caused the weight gain... Portion sizes? Falling back into old habits? Stop working out? All or none of the above? We're about the same age. Each year gets exponentially harder to get the weight off, and easier to gain it back. You have to find what works and STICK WITH IT.
  • FitnessTim
    FitnessTim Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody.

Phildog raised questions about what caused the gain. There was nothing dramatic or life changing that caused it. Life has actually been pretty good. I did have a period of time where I shifted focus to other goals. I tend to have an all or nothing personality when it comes to accomplishing goals. That's great for achieving a specific goal but life is a complex set of goals (sometimes conflicting).

I have to get better at maintaining a balance.

Another reason I gained the weight is due to temptations being everywhere. There's a McDonald's around the corner from where I live. The grocery store we go to has an amazing bakery. Bacon is delicious. And so on..