Yoga alternative?

Options
Hi :)
I am involved in a challenge right now that requires flexability and balance work but for personal reasons i cannot do yoga. Are there any good alternatives that are good for the flexability and balance work?
Thanks so much for anyone who replies!!

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Pilates
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Aqua fit
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Pilates is good, particularly Pilates reformer.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I haven't used it (yet), but Classical Stretch is a program I've heard rave reviews about. Some of the videos are available on YouTube, and the DVDs are on Amazon.
  • scottish_laura_13
    scottish_laura_13 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    pilates and tai chi
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    ballet
  • ChelleBelle2708
    ChelleBelle2708 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Total Barre - its a mix of ballet and Pilates
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    "but for personal reasons i cannot do yoga" Without knowing the reasons you can not do yoga, it is difficult to recommend an alternative exercise. It would not be known if the reason you can't do yoga would also prevent you from doing Pilates, Barre, ballet et al.

General stretching for flexibility and doing your regular exercise one legged (alternating, of course) for balance?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Bosu is good for balance.

youtube.com/watch?v=Z4tSR8IzC2o&list=PL6zNLg6sZg76ycf29mx_mhEyQFLyL1olH

There are athletic stretching videos out there.
    Some here:
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    "but for personal reasons i cannot do yoga" Without knowing the reasons you can not do yoga, it is difficult to recommend an alternative exercise. It would not be known if the reason you can't do yoga would also prevent you from doing Pilates, Barre, ballet et al.

General stretching for flexibility and doing your regular exercise one legged (alternating, of course) for balance?

This.
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Am I right in thinking the reasons are a clash of your religious beliefs and yoga's spiritual aspect?
  • seabeegirl81
    seabeegirl81 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    star1407 wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking the reasons are a clash of your religious beliefs and yoga's spiritual aspect?

Yes after doing research i realized the two would clash which is unfortunate
  • seabeegirl81
    Options
    Thank you so much for all the helpful hints :)
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i do all my yoga type stretching using the TRX. I hate yoga i think its so boring and i can never get a deep enough stretch
  • breestopher806
    breestopher806 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Ddp yoga!! :)
  • HeatherCarnes76
    HeatherCarnes76 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    PraiseMoves. It is a Christian alternative to yoga. I'm not sure if this will help either. Just another idea.
  • seabeegirl81
    Options
    PraiseMoves. It is a Christian alternative to yoga. I'm not sure if this will help either. Just another idea.

Thank you so much!!
  • star1407
    Options
    Pilates would be a good alternative too, no spiritual aspect. Just focuses on stretches and strengthening the core muscles. Have you not got anyone at your church that runs a fitness class? Usually the church halls have classes don't they?
  • star1407
    Options
    http://www.wholyfit.com/
    http://praisemoves.com/
    http://www.christianyoga.com
    Honestly I can't tell you if these are any good, just what I found doing a Google search
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Tai chi.