Maintenance and birth control

Options
I've never been one to really think birth control caused weight gain, but I'm starting to question that. I have been in maintenance for approx. 7 months. I was maintaining EASILY. I didn't slack on my logging a bit but upped my cals a little and would have an occasional meal that I couldn't entirely accurately log without stressing it. On nov. 30th I got the MIrena after being off birth control my entire weight loss journey.

I didn't make the connection til now but I had been gradually piling on a few pounds. I figured it was just the holidays despite me not eating more than usual except on the literal holiday. For example, I finally dropped just 1 lb above my maintenance weight on Monday. I carefully watched what I ate as always and exercised. Yet I'm up 3.4 lbs from Monday. I feel miserably bloated and have for awhile. Then it hit me. So I went back and checked the log of my weight since Nov 30th and it has been an obvious climb only since that point.

Has anyone else had that happen while logging your food so you can honestly say you aren't eating more than you used to? Contemplating getting it removed but it's only been almost 2 months.

Replies

• ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    I've literally come off birth control this week for the first time in 3 years. I lost throughout however I've always believed when I first took it, it contributed to my gain a little. I'm interested to see if coming off everything will effect my maintenance at all. Not really an answer sorry. ..
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,299 Member
    Options
    There is information out there on the net saying "the pill" disrupts the hormone balance. Can't think of a good place to look at the moment. Unfortunately this information tends to come from alternative practitioners which makes it controversial. Try to find a functional practitioner/medicine site they look at the body as a whole rather than fragment it. Hope this helps.
  • crazydogladyjess
    crazydogladyjess Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I would stay on it, and once your body adjusts it should even out. Your weight may fluctuate for the first few months, but I wouldn't be too concerned. I gained a bit when I started birth control, but I've been on it several months and it doesn't seem to be affecting my weight.
  • mom2ava07
    mom2ava07 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    If I knew that at worst, I may just end up a couple pounds above my max weight I set for myself I would be fine. I guess I'm just afraid of it spiraling into something major. I googled weight gain on mirena and found several people saying they gained 20 to 30 lbs in just a few months. I would like to think that to be impossible if you truly were monitoring your intake and exercising regularly. Other than the possible link between my extra few pounds lately, I really like this birth control method.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    If you keep tracking your calories, your weight gain shouldn't spiral up. The pounds you're seeing now is most likely water weight from the hormone differences. It can take 3-4 months for your body to get used to the hormones and settle down.

The reason most women see a large weight gain in a few months is because the hormones can mess with your appetite, meaning: you always feel hungry thus end up eating more. As far as I know, there is no science to back up that you just magically gain weight while on birth control. You have to be eating more to gain weight, which is where the hormones messing with your appetite comes into play.
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I'm on my 3rd mirena. I got morbidly obese on mirena, I lost 100 lbs on mirena, I maintained my weight for 2 years on mirena, I regained some weight on mirena, & now I'm re-losing weight on mirena. It was all about my eating.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    The hormonal shift may shift your appetite like @xcalygrl said. It doesn't make you gain weight unless you eat more (or use fewer calories).

I think lots of women gain on birth control because of the food related activities that often accompanies a new relationship. Of course, that's a generalization that doesn't work for every case.
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I've had mirena for just over a year now. I've lost weight. But I've also been tracking and eating and maintaining activities. If you just, just got it, it's possible that there's some water weight. But you said in your post it's been a couple months, so either you're less active and still eating the same or you're eating more.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Have you been weighing more often since getting the iud? Just thinking that if you are, maybe you're seeing fluctuations that you were missing before. At any rate, I would give it more time and just continue being vigilant with your logging. I've had mirena for 3yrs now and it really is great bc.
  • Ulwaz
    Ulwaz Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    i think alot of people just use birth control as an excuse, its all about calories in/calories out :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You said yourself that you feel bloated... I'd say it's probably water weight.
  • Troytroy408
    Troytroy408 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I had my mirena placed about 6 months ago, I have noticed that it has been harder for me to lose weight.. I have been watching my calorie intake and not eating junk. I believe it maybe be hormonal, and I look and feel extremely puffy.. Everyones body is different and I'm having my Mirena removed on Friday.
  • mom2ava07
    mom2ava07 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    No, I have always weighed myself every single morning so the fluctuation is new. I am as obsessive with weighing and logging my food now as I was when I first began in January 2015. I'm more active now because I wasn't exercising at all until a month ago. When I wake up my fingers feel so swollen that it hurts to move them. It has to be water weight since I can feel the bloat. I used to maintain on the same calories at 132 lbs (and no exercise) and now at the same calories and exercising 6 days a week I'm fluctuating 134 to 136.5. I know it's not much, but when you are working your butt off to maintain and the scale has consistently been up even a couple pounds it's frustrating
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Mirena has not caused any weight gain for me, or anyone I know. Pills did cause weight gain for my sister - 30 pounds - the doctor said "it's not the pills, you are overeating" but as soon as she stopped them, 30 pounds dropped off her so quickly it was amazing.

So everyone is different, but the Mirena is very low dose hormones and not usually associated with weight gain, no.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    There's no way you gained 3 lbs in 2 days. It must be water weight. I'd give it a few weeks to see if you get used to it.

I just came off the pill after many years. I don't know what will happen. The last two times I went off to have my kids so obviously I gained weight :). But now hubby had a vasectomy so I'm permanently done!
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I've been on birth control for about 10 years now. It hasn't directly affected my weight gains, losses, or maintenance. I do find that I can swing up to five lbs the days before my period, but that's just water weight.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    There are many different types of birth control, and they affect different women in different ways that are hard to predict beforehand. If you don't like the side effects of the one you're on, talk to your doctor about trying something else.
  • nainai0585
    nainai0585 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Starting taking a new pill called Lolo, I've been on it for 4 months and gained 10 lbs - this is also because it's winter and I'm not out walking as much. I've been having a hard time shaking it off, even with amping up my routine at home. I'm hoping by summer I'll have the 10 lbs gone.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    ARGriffy wrote: »
    I've literally come off birth control this week for the first time in 3 years. I lost throughout however I've always believed when I first took it, it contributed to my gain a little. I'm interested to see if coming off everything will effect my maintenance at all. Not really an answer sorry. ..

Same here, but I was on it a lot longer.

Just as an update, after about 2 weeks off the pill there has been a noticeable change in my appetite, ive struggled to eat enough calories and that's not something I have ever suffered with! I'm pretty convinced whilst it may not make you physically retain more fat, there's a definate link to appetite.