Ugh! Just need to vent

Options
A couple years ago I lost some weight. Then last year i lost motivation and pretty much did nothing all year. Well this year I have deemed the year of me and have gotten my motivation and determination back in spades. I've been going strong exercising 6 days a week and eating within or just below my calories. I set a goal to lose 5 pounds per month which I think is pretty reasonable. Lost 5.5 pounds in January. Today was my weighing day. For the past few days I have been telling myself not to be upset today if I see a gain cuz my time of the month is a couple days away and I usually gain 5 pounds right before I start. But while I'm telling myself that I'm also saying but I've been eating really really well and exercising my butt off so maybe I won't have the gain this month. So I stepped on the scale, looked down and burst into tears when I saw a 1.3 pound gain. I know it's just from time of the month and it'll likely be gone next week but I have been working so hard. It's so frustrating. Sucks being a woman sometimes. Anyways, I just needed to vent. Thanks for listening.

Replies

• tcaley4
    tcaley4 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. The scale will bounce around, up some, down some. What you are looking for is a general trend downwards. Don't get so upset over small changes to the higher weight. It is going to happen, just accept it and move on to a better tomorrow.
  • mausbop
    mausbop Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Don't be upset! C'mon, give it another try next week :)
  • jmpaterno
    jmpaterno Posts: 47 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Totally know how you feel! When I started losing weight I would weigh in during my TOM, and it always made me upset (doesn't help that I'm always a little extra emotional that week). I knew weight loss isn't linear, hormones can affect it, blah blah blah, but it can still be hard to see a bigger number when you're trying so hard! So I just stopped weighing in a few days before it and during it. It's way better for my sanity, plus it's nice to stay off the scale awhile and see a bigger loss when I get back on. If you can handle not knowing your exact weight for a week or so (know that's hard for some people), I would 100 percent recommend doing the same.
  • MissConsistency
    MissConsistency Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Please don't let the scale dictate your day. That time around I up anywhere from 3-6. It sucks. One day at a time. Always here to motivate. Keep up the good work.
  • browneyes1520
    browneyes1520 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Seeing the gain is frustrating as heck but I have pre-logged everything I will eat today and I'll definitely stay on the wagon and keep on plugging away. I know weight loss is not linear and my gain is only from my TOM and won't stick around past this week. Just needed to get my frustrations out of my head I guess and I feel better having done so.
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Instead of gaining your normal 5lbs you were only up 1.3? I'd call that a NSV and do a happy dance!
  • browneyes1520
    browneyes1520 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Yes that's true! Thank you
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    If you're doing 6 day/week of cardio, that's the problem. Keep cardio to twice weekly 20 min ea. Sprint 8 sessions, and on 2 separate days pump iron. :)