Frustrated!!!

Options
ok . Over the last year, I lost about 45 pounds. Keep in mind I am over 400. I have been stuck since about November at the same weight. I will admit I do not do perfect every day, but I never go over 2000 calories. I am not eating cheeseburgers or pizza etc.

I do 90 minutes a week of strength training with a personal trainer. I feel like when I pick up books or talk to people it's all low carb. Low carb gets me sick or really low energy. I am a leader of several sales people and I need full energy.

I need some advice to get my weight loss cranking again. I just started walking a lot more and bought a Fitbit to try and get my steps really high.

Replies

• Cchioles
    Cchioles Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    You Don't Have To Be "Perfect" Everyday.. You Just Have To Be Consistent. Get Close.. Low Carb Diets Has Its Ups And Downs, But If You're Always Drained And Struggling To Get Through Your Workouts, Are You Really Going To Benefit From Them If You Are Not Putting Enough Effort In To Them? Why Not Fuel Your Body So You Can Perform.. The Progress Will Follow
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary to the public? Usually a stall in weight loss is logging inaccuracies.

Pizza and cheese burgers are irrelevant, you can eat those and lose weight as long as you're in a caloric deficit.

Low carb is irrelevant for the same reason as above.

You have the right idea. Weight loss happens when you burn more calories than you eat. Weight training helps ensure that the weight loss is primarily fat.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Do you have a food scale? People can only guess answers since your diary is closed. Mine is opened. People helped me figure out I was not getting enough protein and fiber.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    colganteam wrote: »
    ok . Over the last year, I lost about 45 pounds. Keep in mind I am over 400. I have been stuck since about November at the same weight. I will admit I do not do perfect every day, but I never go over 2000 calories. I am not eating cheeseburgers or pizza etc.

I do 90 minutes a week of strength training with a personal trainer. I feel like when I pick up books or talk to people it's all low carb. Low carb gets me sick or really low energy. I am a leader of several sales people and I need full energy.

I need some advice to get my weight loss cranking again. I just started walking a lot more and bought a Fitbit to try and get my steps really high.

All your answers are right here: http://www.acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/

Why Am I Not Losing Weight: 11 Reasons You’re Failing To Lose Fat
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    How are you determining your calorie intake? I am going to state with certainty you are NOT 'never going over 2000 calories'. If you were, you'd be losing weight.

Get your calorie intake in order first and foremost, before delving into the other minutiae
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Are you eating the same number of calories now that you were back in November? If so, it is time to cut them down.

Two methods to cut them down:
    1) Simply cut 100-200 calories out from this point forward.
    2) Get better at counting calories. If you are not already, weigh all solids, measure liquids using a liquid measuring cup, and log them using verifiable nutrition info such as that from the USDA or food labels. If you haven't already been doing this, starting it will likely reduce the number of calories you are eating. People are generally off when eyeballing their calories, which is fine when you first start losing (I did it too and think that most people should start this way) but at a certain point you often need to tighten up your methods.
  • jkr1000
    jkr1000 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Totally agree, can't live without my carbs. When I'm not loosing weight I go back to basics, make sure I'm weighing and logging all my food correctly, no cheats or substitutes, an cut down on fat (although it doesn't matter if it's in your calorie goal but I find it helps give me that kick start again). Make sure you're drinking enough fluids but also not sure if you drink alcohol but I find even a couple of beers or glasses of wine can hinder the scales even when they are within my calorie count.
  • Soccerdawg71
    Soccerdawg71 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I was having the same problem. MFP told me to stay under 2,000 calories, so I just adjusted my calories down by 200. That helped a bit.
  • Soccerdawg71
    Soccerdawg71 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Also, try to get cardio in about five times a week. Weight training is important, but cardio is, too.
  • colganteam
    colganteam Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I think my fitness pal tells me to have somewhere around 2800 calories but i dont eat any where need near that. I will try to cut down 200 calories while doing more cardio and see if that kicks me into gear.
  • colganteam
    colganteam Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Is there a sweet spot for losing alot of weight. 1000 - 1200 calories a day?
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    First of all, you shouldn't even be considering consuming 1000 to 1200 calories per day. 1200 calories is the minimum recommended amount for women. The problem isn't that you're not seeing a loss because you need to cut down to 1000 to 1200; your problem is that you think you're eating 2000 calories or less every day and you're not. Period.

You said you are over 400 pounds. If you ate 2000 or under a day you would have definitely lost a good amount of weight since November. Not only are you underestimating your calorie intake, but you are so erroneous that you've lost nothing in months. Due to that, I'm going to suggest a food scale for you. It's not necessary for weight loss, especially the larger a person is, but due to the amount of error here it seems like your weight loss is pretty much going to be contingent on it from this point forward. I guarantee you will be surprised at how much more you're actually eating than what you thought you were.
  • shdyldy180
    shdyldy180 Posts: 5 Member
    Options

All your answers are right here: http://www.acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/

That was pretty good...
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,739 Member
    Options
    At 400lbs your TDEE, especially if you are able to be relatively active, is significant. You burn a lot at that weight.

You ought to be able to easily lose at a rate of 2lbs+ a week with a 1000 cal deficit while eating close to 3000 Cal a day.

UNLESS

--You are truly sedentary (and by that I mean not achieving 2500 steps a day)

--You have a medical condition that has significantly altered your TDEE. This includes both likely and unlikely options and would best be handled by a lab and doctor and testing if you feel you need to go there.

==> the most likely by a landslide situation: You are not estimating correctly what you eat.

Grab a little book with a pen and a pocket scale capable of doing up to 2 or 3kg with 1g or 0.1g precision.
    Record EVERYTHING that will go in your mouth in your book.
    The mint. The glass of water. The coffee.
    BEFORE you have it.

Transfer it into MFP when you go home choosing verified, or self verified (USDA database, back of packaging, nutritiondata.self.com), database entries.

I've seen people log 1oz of orange juice... that's a pretty small glass. Spices have calories. So does Pam spray even if it says it is 0. and mistakes do happen.

Plug your weight in observations into a trending weight program (Libra Android, Happy Scale iphone, www.trendweight.com or www.weightgrapher.com).

Re-evaluate what your logging says you should be losing vs what you're losing based on the trending weight program.

Talk to a doctor if necessary--for most people it isn't.

Watch your activity. Your knees might prefer that you use a pool for exercise as opposed to putting pressure on them via walking or more intense activity.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    mvfczyr1a697.jpg
    1.jpg 135.4K
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    shdyldy180 wrote: »

That was pretty good...

It snapped me out of a plateau 2 years ago - that's for sure. Blunt and to the point, but I prefer that to all the hand holding. ;-]

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    OP, you're eating at maintenance or very close to it-unfortunately. How are you logging your food? Food scale?