Reacting to compliments

Options

Replies

• CoryBIsMe
    CoryBIsMe Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    It's truly intended as a kindness. Most people know how much work goes into losing weight. Just say "Thanks".
  • BoyHaunt
    BoyHaunt Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It's hard for me to take a compliment in general about anything, much less weight loss. When I hear, "wow, you've lost a lot of weight", what I really truly hear is "dang, you were huge, before!"...

"Thanks", comes out of my mouth, as I was raised to be polite, but much like everyone else out there, compliments can be hard to take, even with the best of intentions...
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    I just say "thanks! I've been working really hard and hope to continue in my success!" Usually people won't push or embarrass you if they have a feeling you've still got work to do.
    When I know someone is working hard to lose and be healthy I make a point to let them know how great they look and how well they are doing, but I drop it at that b/c I don't want to make them feel insecure.
  • areallycoolstory
    areallycoolstory Posts: 1,680 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    'thanks for noticing' and a smile

this...

but i get you about not wanting it to get into your head. it can derail your progress if you let it. just say, thanks, and don't give in any more significance than it deserves. your journey is your own. sometimes the comments others make can be off the wall. i had a neighbor yesterday say she was going to start calling me skinny debi. i waved it off and made it a joke. "aww... just debi's fine." with a sort of mock "you shouldn't have" expression. it will get easier. good luck:-)
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    I am not good at receiving compliments. I don't know why, it just makes me uncomfortable. It's not just compliments about my appearance, it's anything really. I always say thank you but I have a hard time accepting compliments gracefully.
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Azercord wrote: »
    "Damn straight, I'm a sexy beast! *flex*

hahhaha i can't wait to be able to say this, and I will....outloud...twice. Just in case they didn't hear me the first time. :D
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I usually just say thanks to a compliment. The comments that fluster me are "Did you lose weight?" Especially if I haven't.
  • DrifterBear
    DrifterBear Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    It feels good, but I hate when people ask how much I've lost or get into details. I just say thanks and move on.
  • joinn68
    joinn68 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    hope516 wrote: »
    Azercord wrote: »
    "Damn straight, I'm a sexy beast! *flex*

hahhaha i can't wait to be able to say this, and I will....outloud...twice. Just in case they didn't hear me the first time. :D

@hope516 please come back and update when you've use it! (and not on your best friend either) lol
  • beautifulsparkles
    beautifulsparkles Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    It makes me feel uncomfortable because I haven't actually lost weight for about six months, and even then, my progress was super slow. I feel embarrassed because I could have/should have lost so much more. I feel undeserving.
  • CurvesCreations22
    CurvesCreations22 Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    I am bad at receiving compliments. A voice in my head says you still have work to do and you aren't there yet. But I hold back and say thanks not even truly hearing the compliment. I need to work on that.
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I guess what I'm really asking is how do you respond to compliments politely while trying to remain humble and focused?

"That's a nice thing to say - thank you!"
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    It makes me feel uncomfortable because I haven't actually lost weight for about six months, and even then, my progress was super slow. I feel embarrassed because I could have/should have lost so much more. I feel undeserving.

Thats one way to look at it, but the other way is that you have lost some weight and kept it off! If you had done nothing you would still be your original size!
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I do okay with compliments, I just say thank you. I'm not so smooth with the "have you lost weight?" I tend to do a weird uncomfortable, 'oh maybe I guess' and change the subject. I think I respond that way because I don't want to enter into a discussion about how much/why/how/blah blah.
  • adelinue
    adelinue Posts: 98 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    People here don't really say anything on my weight loss; I think because they don't know what to say (I'm talking about people i'm not close too.) Family and friends sometimes say something like: "You're keeping it up, that's great! Way to go" or "You look good now" and I just say 'yeah' or 'thanks', I didn't feel awkward or anything because those people are close to me so I feel comfortable around them.

However yesterday we were in a group at college; I didn't really know most of the people (I mean, they weren't people I was close too; we were juste classmates) and one of my friends there (who didn't see me in two weeks) said : "Wow, you look good; I wish I had your will power" (She was a diet buddy but gave up a few weeks in).

It was a genuine compliment, nothing backhanded or anything but all of a sudden all of the others thought that since the subject was on the table they can talk about it. So out of nowhere, I got 20 people or so complimenting me on my loss. I was feeling really awkward and I didn't know what to say. Fortunately that same friend noticed it and just said: "Yeah, you look great!" then changed the subject.

Weird thing is that at the beginning of my journey I was waiting impatiently for those comments! And the first time I got those (first couple of weeks) from family I felt great. But after about 20lbs the change became really noticeable and the comments became too much. I didn't know how to handle it gracefully and just began to resent myself for making people feel awkward by making me a compliment.
  • pislari_poljnamd
    pislari_poljnamd Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    In my case "wow I can't believe you had twins!!"
    My answer always is "that's very kind of you,thank you "
    We work sooooo hard so why not just enjoy honest compliment or sweet little lies! :)
    Don't be embarrassed of your achievements!
  • danielmedeirossr
    Options
    neldabg wrote: »
    As you all are losing weight, how do you react to compliments? I'm not big on seeking attention and the positive reinforcement is more embarrassing to me then helpful. I'm not saying I get mad when someone compliments me, but I'm not exactly comfortable with it. It may be a "guy thing" or it may be my own issue.

I guess I feel like my journey isn't done yet and I don't want buy into my own success yet. Strictly a mental thing with me. I feel like if I start listening to everyone's kind words, I may get a little complacent and lose motivation.

I guess what I'm really asking is how do you respond to compliments politely while trying to remain humble and focused?

I agree with you there. I've learned to strictly go by my own (and my doctor's) opinion of my body. People were telling me how slim I was when I was still 20lbs away from a healthy BMI(????). People generally do *not* know what healthy looks like, especially here in the USA, where everyone and everything is huge, so it's smart that you're teaching yourself now to ignore everyone's compliments.
    Compliments don't really bother me, but advice-type commentary is what really annoys me.
    I say "thank you" with a small smile and change the subject. It's polite, and it gives the person a tiny hint that you won't be focusing on your weight control success for the rest of your time together.

The same has happened to me and continues to happen, when I first lost 50lbs two years ago, everybody was telling me how good I look, and how I should stop...although I was under a bmi of 30, I was JUST under, another 10 would have been near perfect.

I Proceeded to starting bulking "on purpose" and now im cutting and I guess I look thinner...my own mom and others have said I shouldn't lose anymore, that I'd be too skinny, yet all of theae people tell me tales of how they used to look, or how "they do it when they want to slim down". In most cases, Im yet to see when they were ir are "in shape".

I actually enjoy the compliments and say a polite "thank you" like others here, because reality is although the compliments make me feel good and tells me the my progress is noticeable, I dont want to hear your "advice" and dont want to go into how I do it, just to get criticized by someone who has no clue what it takes.

• BEVERLYSTEEN
    BEVERLYSTEEN Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I understand your feelings. That being said I will tell you that when I was not on program, but wanted to be, I complimented someone and then said to myself "I sure wish I could get it together". Seeing others at work loose weight helped me to finally get back on track.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Thank you- feels like I have a lot more to do but my hard work is paying off!
  • FabianRodriguez94
    FabianRodriguez94 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I enjoy them, but I get a bit flustered. I'll usually say "thank you" and then worry when they ask HOW I lost the weight, because people will not usually react the same to the answer "I ate less and exercised more".
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!