More accurate calorie burning?

Options
Hi! I clean houses for a living and I found that the calories burned listed for heavy effort is actually less than for a light affort. I wish FP could get a more accurate rate. Does anyone know of one I could add? Thanks!

Replies

• erianswilliams
    erianswilliams Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    The only way to really get accurate calories burned is to wear a Fitbit or some type of heart rate monitor. I have a polar FT4 that I use when working out & I wear a Fitbit zip the other times.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I would suggest setting your activity level to active and just don't record your work. That is what the intention of the activity level is for - sedentary, lightly active, active, based on your lifestyle and job.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    omma_to_3 wrote: »
    I would suggest setting your activity level to active and just don't record your work. That is what the intention of the activity level is for - sedentary, lightly active, active, based on your lifestyle and job.

This^

Change your activity level.

A heart rate monitor is designed for steady state cardio, so that won't be much of a guess either. A FitBit might be the best option if you want a device that syncs to MFP. Enable negative adjustments so lower active days can adjust downward.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    omma_to_3 wrote: »

This.

People are marketed to think they have to be told what cals they are burning. I can't believe how much money is spent on HRMs or fitbits when you can figure it out more accurately in less than a minute using simple math.

Set your level, log accurately with a food scale. After a few weeks adjust your intake accordingly.