Breakfast food ideas??? HELP!

Options
Okay, so I'm having a hard time thinking of breakfast foods that are high in protein, but not extremely high in carbs. I've been on MFP for 25 days and it seems like I eat eggs every day! I usually only have 1 egg yolk or non at all to give me protein. I've also been eating peanut butter a lot (which i love!) but I'm kind of getting bored with it and need some good nutritious ideas. I have cereal but they are filled with carbs! I also eat a lot of yogurt, but I'm starting to get bored w/ that as well!

Any ideas would be awesome!

Thanks!
Becki

Replies

• sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Try your eggs a different way....like making a cheese omelette. You can even add low fat ham. Add green peppers and onion for a western omelette.
  • Curvy1taliana
    Curvy1taliana Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    This morning I had stuffed french toast: 2 slices of light cinnamon raisin bread (Country Kitchen brand @ 50 cal a slice) with 1/2 ounce of fat free cream cheese in between and dipped in 1/4 cup egg beaters with a pinch of cinnamon & SF syrup & a Morningstar maple flavor "sausage" patty.
  • Tissues
    Tissues Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    This morning I'm having two eggs sunny side up, and 3 slices of turkey bacon (high in protein, low in carb) and toast with peanut butter.

other days I usually eat oatmeal with almonds... or a fruit & yogurt parfait with almonds.
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Egg beaters! They really are good, and not the fat/cholesterol as regular eggs. A little chopped onion, tomatoes and a T. of low fat whipped cream cheese.

Oatmeal with chopped nuts and berries.
  • ladygloria
    ladygloria Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I have a Thomas whole grain light English muffin, 2 slices of bacon, and one ounce of cheddar every morning. Stats: calories 220, carbs 26, fat 10, protein 14, sugar 1. I also am in love with the ham and cheese frittatas in the taste of home diet book. The stats for that are in the database and the cookbook I highly recommend for tons of variety in healthy, easy, and tasty food.
  • bjam1234
    bjam1234 Posts: 75
    Options
    cottage cheese pancakes - delicious and high in protein...

Syrniki (Cottage cheese pancakes)
    2tsp sugar
    160g Cottage Cheese
    3 Tbsp SR flour (try 2Tbsp and add more if batter is still too thin – depends on cheese)
    1 egg
    1tsp vanilla

Mix egg and cottage cheese till smooth (or close to). Add other ingredients. Cook in well oiled pan till browned. Makes 8 small pancakes (2 ½” diameter), enough for 2 people. Serve with jam, sour cream, powdered sugar, apple sauce or honey. Make as a desert by adding sultanas and cinnamon to the batter and serving with honey or maple syrup. Really healthy and tasty if you whip up your own berry compote with some frozen berries and a tsp of honey in a pot, heat till they are hot and the berries are bursting/runny :D
  • maryd4love
    maryd4love Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could try a smoothie with a few of your favorite fruits and use the yogurt you eat to blend it all together with a little bit of milk.
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    I like to eat breakfast burritos. I get Xtreme wellness high fiber tortillas (they have 5 net carbs, 71 calories) and do egg beaters or scrambled, seasoned egg whites, sauteed veggies, and sometimes a touch of cheese inside of one. I pair with some blackberries, raspberries, or strawberries. Sometimes have a strip or two of morningstar farms breakfast strips or sausage patties.

Sometimes a protein shake is my breakfast.

Sometimes a protein shake and just scrambled, seasoned egg whites.

Occasionally, a piece of whole wheat toast (Nature's Own has 7 net carbs, 40 calories; not sure what weight watchers has) with some natural (no sugar added) peanut butter and either a shake or egg beaters, sometimes a yogurt.
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    i try to have my carbs early in the day and cut back at night. For breakfast I have organic rolled oats and I add a scoop of protien powder to balance it out and a hard boiled egg. I love cold cereal but they have so much sugar in it! I agree eggs do get boring after a while. I try to have my meals well balanced with healthy carbs, fat and protien. You need the carbs for energy and you shouldnt completely cut them out of your meals. Just have healthy carbs, like oats, whole grains, quinoa, brown rice.
  • L568
    L568 Posts: 15
    Options
    I have similar breakfast goals--my staples are:

0% GREEK YOGURT (Fage or Chobani are good ones), walnuts, and a cut up banana (Greek yogurt is so key--local and high in protein!!)

2 eggs scrambled with veggies (think peppers, mushrooms, etc), and fruit

Remember that PB doesn't have a ton of protein--something like Greek yogurt will give you more tein bang for your calories. I always look at PB as a good fat rather than as a protein.
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Every morning, I eat a 1 egg+1egg white sammich on a bagel thin. The bagel thin has 38g of carbs, which isn't super mega high as long as you aren't on an eating plan that restricts you to like, 50g of carbs a day, LOL I cook the eggs in this kind of pan:

egg-pan.JPG

It's the perfect size for making nice round egg patties to fit perfectly in my bagel thin :)

Another option could be a smoothie. I make mine with 1 cup of Fage 0% greek yogurt and a cup of frozen berries, a squeeze of fresh lemon juice, and about 1/4 cup of water just to thin it out some.
  • blm625
    blm625 Posts: 33
    Options
    I made this this morning, it has 27 grams of protein in it and is under 300 calories.. its a bit different but I thought it was pretty good.

Tara Costa's Protein Oatmeal Pancakes....

http://www.taracosta.com/?p=308
  • eggs are grest, you and i are in the same boat, mix it up a bit. sometimes i cut up bacon or sausage and mix it in my eggs... ive even mixed salsa in with it.
  • Chril
    Chril Posts: 1
    Options
    I doesn't sound like much, but I buy Sargento low sodium string cheese sticks. Sometimes with 1/2 super skim milk. I'm shocked that it keeps me going until my 10:00 snack at work. And I'm a BIG eater : )
  • Joyjmb
    Joyjmb Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I do one regular egg and three egg whites. First saute 2-3 cups of spinach until it reduces, then add about 10 chopped basil leaves. Set aside. Pour eggs into pan, set about halfway. Add spinach filling down middle and wrap like omlet. Add some hot sauce and ohmahgoodness, it is great!
  • eviltwinkie
    eviltwinkie Posts: 153
    Options
    Try adding egg or egg beaters to your oatmeal. Makes it more like oatmeal pudding when cooked in the micro. I usually only do 1/4 c mccanns quick cooking, 1/4 egg beaters, the flavorings are up to you (add water.) I often do blueberries and such, but there's no reason it can't be a savory oatmeal. Chop some ham in it. Make a porridge out of it.

You could try to make some egg quiches in muffin tins for quick grab items. Or baked oatmeal.

Also - don't forget - breakfast doesn't have to be breakfast food. I have made stir fry for breakfast. Hmm. usually I throw it over a little leftover rice, wonder what it would be like on cooked oatmeal? Hmm. I might have to go make some chicken rice porridge. That sounds really good right now.

Mm. I'd love a protein loaded recipie for banana bread. Half the fun of banana bread is the aroma (same with pumpkin bread.)