Do you stick to the same go-to meals or variety

Options
The_Pace
The_Pace Posts: 20 Member
edited February 2016 in Food and Nutrition
I know I will get bored and fall off if I stick to the same easy, safe, know how the calories by heart meals everyday so I have been trying to add variety. How do you manage and have any ideas to share?

Instead of a protein shake this morning I sautéed 1/2 of a ham steak with mini red and orange peppers and added one egg+one egg white over a slice of toasted light bread with a 1/4 avocado. Delicious and satisfying.

Share your ideas!
Btw, this is my first time starting a thread so please don't leave me hanging ;-)

Replies

• smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I tend to stick to the same meals, and yeah it gets boring.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat the same thing over and over again....I'm that person who would never change my order at Starbucks! I always think we are two different types...those who can repeat, repeat, and repeat and those who need more variety! :smile:

I also love to wear my favorite clothes every freakin day!
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    both. i stick to the same and mix it up.
  • Panda_brat
    Panda_brat Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    90% it's the same stuff, but i have a large enough reservoir of meals that I do not get bored of them. Plus when i do chicken i have at least 5 different ways of spicing, or marinating it, so it is never the same 2 weeks in a row.
  • Triticum
    Triticum Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Breakfast/Lunch tends to be quite similar, trying to work on 6-700 Cals for them both, before going mad on dinner!

Toast for breakfast, and possibly lunch too, but usually a sandwich with something along the lines of chicken, lettuce, tomato.

Dinner is whatever I fancy, pizza, burger, curry, salad, roast dinner. Just portion adjusted to make it sit right. Since MFP i've started eating a lot more things like carrot and tomato to bulk out the meals without adding calories.
  • mandikaysmom
    mandikaysmom Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Panda_brat wrote: »
    90% it's the same stuff, but i have a large enough reservoir of meals that I do not get bored of them. Plus when i do chicken i have at least 5 different ways of spicing, or marinating it, so it is never the same 2 weeks in a row.

What are your five different sources/marinades? I'm teed of the same chicken recipes.
  • michaela4910
    michaela4910 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    My breakfast is almost always the same. I know how many calories are in it and I'm rushing. Lunch if I'm at work varies slightly but I choose between a few things I know the calories and macros for. (I work in a restaurant) Dinner, I could a wide variety of things.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Variety. Even when I have the same dish, it's rarely the same as the last time I made it. I don't use recipes and tend to just add whatever is on hand or is closest to expiration to any dish I make. Eating this way makes me happy, but I did find it too much hassle to manage a diet like this and log all my food.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I hate eating the same thing more than 3 days in a row. Then typically I don't have it again for weeks.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    I have "pillars" that make a big portion of the rotation but I also bring in different stuff here and there to mix it up.
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I have my short list of regular meals for breakfast and lunch. Dinner is where I get creative. I will say it's time consuming, seeking out delicious lower cal, recipes. I have several "healthy" cook books I draw from, also Skinnytaste and Cooking light blogs. Pinterest is also a good resource.
  • misty589
    misty589 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I usually stick to the same things for breakfast and lunch but mix it up at supper with the family
  • berescga
    berescga Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same thing for breakfast every morning. I have a few different things I have for lunch. Dinner can be almost anything, and this is where I get my variety. More variety as they say goes on. Except my afternoon snack is always the same.
  • toe1226
    toe1226 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I cycle. I have the same thing for breakfast every day for a week, then move on to the next thing every day for a week. I try to have similar calorie and protein goals for breakfast. Its kind of the same thing for all my meals- I eat one thing for like, a week, then I mix it up, cycle through. A lot of it for me comes down to affordability/efficiency/reducing food waste.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    I have two work lunches I vary week to week. I do an egg casserole that is usually simple to start then I can have it with toast/ketchup or a tortilla with salsa to change it up. I also have a basic protein+veg+sauce lunch. Proteins are usually pork or chicken left overs, then peas broccoli or brussle sprouts (my favs), and I experiment with basic sauces. I like alfredo, I recently tried a tandoori sauce that is to die for and I am craving it even right now (but today is an egg lunch day). Other sauces could be marinara or sriracha with lemon juice. This gives easy to "guesstimate" calories so I can build my menu for the day, but there's still some room for variety.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    You have probably been eating the same meals over and over again your entire life, most people do.

Ignore all the so-called "diet" foods and just eat what you like. If trying to lose weight, you need to eat less than you have been, not eat different foods.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i eat what i always have. just less of it.

my breakfast is the same 90%of the time but everything else differs depending on what im in the mood for...
  • erinc5
    erinc5 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I tend to stick to the same meals and snacks for breakfast and lunch. Dinner usually varies.

Part of the reason is to make sticking to calorie goals easy and part is to make grocery shopping easy and less expensive. Once I started eating lots of similar things, my grocery bill got a lot smaller and I started throwing out less food waste.