I have never had wild animal steak. Deer. I guess it does not exist?

Options
It has always been ground deer.
In a hamburger, sausage, over pasta with spaghetti sauce.
To me, it just tasted like either corn meal, rice, breading, or regular ground beef.
(last time they mixed the ground deer with hamburger meat).
I've even had deer jerky and it was made from ground deer meat.

My question is: I guess you can't just have a deer steak?
Does that even exist?
Why don't people do this?
Is it too lean?
What is the reason for this?

Replies

• pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    They are called Venison steaks here in the uk. It's becoming more popular as it's lean.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure venison steak is a thing. I have never had it but, I have heard of it.
  • Thowe92
    Thowe92 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Venison steak exists. It just comes from a different part of the deer/elk.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can have venison. It's not sold at supermarkets (at least I've never seen it here in Ohio/the U.S.) Most people get it from hunting or from friends who are hunters. I haven't had it since I was a kid but I liked it then.
  • LHWhite903
    LHWhite903 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I've never tried venison, but I'd kind of like to, out of curiosity.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    We have a burger place that sells elk burgers. They're delicious! We have a lot of deer where I live though.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm, venison. I can get it in Wegman's. I like venison steaks, but I prefer to cut it into chunks and make a casserole.

And now I'm hungry, and it's a long time until dinner.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    Options
    The biggest issue is it seems like you can only get them from hunters. Deer meat is hard to find in grocery stores, at least for where I live. Not a lot of deer farms around.
  • mean_and_lean
    mean_and_lean Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Like everyone said it's called venison steak. They're very good but they have to be cooked extremely rare otherwise it's like eating an old shoe.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    The biggest issue is it seems like you can only get them from hunters. Deer meat is hard to find in grocery stores, at least for where I live. Not a lot of deer farms around.

You can order online from farmed deer. Yes they have steaks, I love backstrap steaks, cooked rare. The rear steaks make the best fajita meat.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Grew up on venison steaks. Ate it about 5 nights a week cuz we were poor and Dad was a good hunter. I hope I never again have to eat venison steaks...
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Venison steak! I love it!
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    I had it only once when I was a kid. My family made me cry as they told me that I had eaten Bambi. :disappointed:
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    I come from a family of deer hunters, and we have deer steak. It has a very strong gamey flavor (and smell) which takes some getting used to.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I've not had venison steaks but roasts are very common. After soaking, marinating, and slow cooking it is very good and the gaminess is gone.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Venison doesn't cook up the same as beef for a steak. The best cut of meat for a similar experience to me is the chops (loin). It is tender enough that a quick sear on either side with a bit of salt and garlic and you have a delicious bite of meat. The problem with Venison is it is so lean that you actually need to add oil to fry it. It is really easy to make it chewy and tough and taste gamey. I much prefer most of the meat ground and in a casserole of some kind.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I've had venison steak. Don't know anyone who hunts locally, so I've bought it at a meat market in my neighborhood. You can also get it at various restaurants.

When I was a kid we used to have moose, but haven't had that in years. That we'd get from hunters we knew.
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Venison tenderloins are the best! Lots of hunters in my family:)
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    yes backstrap! I often get meat from my father's pals when they hunt. I'm making elk chili tonight in fact, from a pound of ground & a pound of elk steaks I need to use up, adding a bit of fatty beef & chorizo.

There's a place called Broken Arrow Ranch that specializes in game meats as well. We've bought from there before, excellent products... https://www.brokenarrowranch.com/

I love to braise venison for pot pies, this was most of a venison hind that was given to me...omgyum

6urcmdhlof3m.jpg
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I've never had venison but I've had moose. It tastes like a gamier beef