Ok I'm finding that I need somewhere between 2000 and 3000 calories to lose weight.

Options
shana5569
shana5569 Posts: 5 Member
edited February 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I am being told I need anywhere from 2000-3000 calories to lose weight. I have a very physical job and work out 3-4 times a week depending on my work schedule. I had weight loss surgery 9/31/14. But since I uped all my workouts I have only been at about 1200 calories but I feel super light headed Nd weak. Anyone have any ideas?

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    Options
    How much weight do you want to lose? When you set your activity level to Active, how many calories do you get?

Log your workouts separately and only eat back 50% of the calories you earn from them as the burns given are considered to be inflated.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    shana5569 wrote: »
    I am being told I need anywhere from 2000-3000 calories to lose weight. I have a very physical job and work out 3-4 times a week depending on my work schedule. I had weight loss surgery 9/31/14. But still nice I uped all my workouts I have only been at about 1200 calories but I need super light headed Nd weak. Anyone have any ideas?

But you feel super light headed an weak?

You said you're only getting about 1200 calories, do you mean that you're subtracting the calories you burned vs what you ate, or that's all you're eating? My guess is that you're pouring on the exercise and getting activity at work but you're not eating to compensate. Your body needs the fuel, without it, it won't perform. Fuel it. :smile:
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    I had weight loss surgery 9/31/14.

Talk to your Dr instead of listening to us yahoos on the interwebs.
  • absoluttalent
    absoluttalent Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    What type of surgery we talking about? Maybe talk to doctor about side effects?

And you are told you need 2000-3000 calories a day to lose, and only taking in 1200? That's also a reason. Eat more. If you are very active at work, and work out, no way 1200 would sustain you
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Age, height, current weight?
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    You are told you need 2000-3000 calories to lose weight by who?

You're eating 1200 calories a day and feeling lightheaded and weak. I suggest you eat more.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I'd also suggest getting your iron levels checked. Does the surgery limit what kinds of foods you can eat? Are you losing weight too quickly on what you are currently eating maybe?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I am being told I need anywhere from 2000-3000 calories to lose weight. I have a very physical job and work out 3-4 times a week depending on my work schedule. I had weight loss surgery 9/31/14. But since I uped all my workouts I have only been at about 1200 calories but I feel super light headed Nd weak. Anyone have any ideas?

Were you not given a calorie intake from your doctor? My understanding is those who have had WLS have to eat a small amount and be very careful about what they eat. Doctors orders trump online calculators or advice from people like us.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    There's no reason to make yourself lightheaded in order to lose weight.

I'm not sure of your stats or who gave you the 2000-3000 calorie goal. That's a huge range but it's not completely unheard of for a woman to lose on 2000 calories. Why not eat 2000 calories for three weeks and see what happens?

Nevermind. Just reread and saw the bit about WLS. Talk to your doctor.
  • shana5569
    Options
    Afura wrote: »
    I am being told I need anywhere from 2000-3000 calories to lose weight. I have a very physical job and work out 3-4 times a week depending on my work schedule. I had weight loss surgery 9/31/14. But still nice I uped all my workouts I have only been at about 1200 calories but I need super light headed Nd weak. Anyone have any ideas?

You said you're only getting about 1200 calories, do you mean that you're subtracting the calories you burned vs what you ate, or that's all you're eating? My guess is that you're pouring on the exercise and getting activity at work but you're not eating to compensate. Your body needs the fuel, without it, it won't perform. Fuel it. :smile:
    Afura wrote: »

• shana5569
    Options
    I'm trying to stay around 1800. I do not eat what I burn. Thank you for your comments and all you help. I am 5"11, 260, 30 yrs of age. I weight lift three times a week and do cardio 2-3 times a week depending on my schedule. I had weight loss surgery the sleeve.
  • Samrny
    Samrny Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    But where did you get the 2000-3000 number?
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    2000-3000 is supposed to be a deficit caloric intake for you? Not only is that a huge range to play with, that's a lot of calories for a deficit. I think you'd better check that with your doctor. It doesn't sound right...