1200 calories is tough!

Options
Hi All!
Just started this week and really struggling to stay at 1200. I am making good food choices, but this limits snacks and meals tremendously. I have done WW in the past and it makes a difference that vegetables and fruits (in moderation) are "free" and the program allows for extra weekly points...seems to make it more manageable...any thoughts/ideas on this?
Thanks so much!!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    1,200 is a very low goal. Do you not have much weight to lose or did you choose an aggressive goal (2 pounds a week)?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    1200 BEFORE exercise is MFP's lowest default minimum. This is generally correct for very petite and/or senior ladies.

A couple ideas....

1. Add exercise and eat 50-75% of calories "earned." This is how MFP is designed to work.

2. Decrease your weekly weight loss rate, and MFP will give you more calories. If you aren't petite and/or a senior....it's a little aggressive.

Weight Watchers calories start out lower to accommodate "free" fruits & veggies. Extra points (fiber, whatnot) are kind of a way to game" the system.

• LHWhite903
    LHWhite903 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I agree with @janejellyroll about this, either eat back some of your exercise calories or choose an easier goal to shoot for.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    What's your age, how tall are you, and how much weight do you want to lose? 1200 may be overly aggressive for you.
  • marissaallen65
    marissaallen65 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Wow..thanks so much for the quick responses! I am 50, 5'4 and would like to lose about 60 pounds. I did choose the 2 pound a week goal so I can start by adjusting that....and I need to add more exercise so that sounds like it will allow me more calories as well.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Hi All!
    Just started this week and really struggling to stay at 1200. I am making good food choices, but this limits snacks and meals tremendously. I have done WW in the past and it makes a difference that vegetables and fruits (in moderation) are "free" and the program allows for extra weekly points...seems to make it more manageable...any thoughts/ideas on this?
    Thanks so much!!

I was on the 1,200 cal x day option here at MFP for quite a while and it was successful. It is possible, just opt for more filling foods (high in protein) and snack throughout the day instead of having three main meals. Feel free to check out my old entries for inspo.
  • tiffanyhernandez1804
    Options
    I'm on a 1200 calorie diet too and man is it tough! My doctor put me on a 1200 Cal diet with at least 30 minutes of cardio a day. I hate going into the red but take it day by day. Some days are harder that's ok! As long as you keep at it!
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    1,200 cals a day sets me up for bingeing. I can only do it for a week at most at a time.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    Hi All!
    Thanks so much!!

I was on the 1,200 cal x day option here at MFP for quite a while and it was successful. It is possible, just opt for more filling foods (high in protein) and snack throughout the day instead of having three main meals. Feel free to check out my old entries for inspo.
    1,200 cals a day sets me up for bingeing. I can only do it for a week at most at a time.

Both of these. I did 1200 myself until I had 10 lbs to lose. Personally, I didn't find it too difficult, and I was pretty good at getting the most bang for my buck with food (high volume foods ftw). It's doable, though treats do have to be limited, and you have to be extra careful to reach minimum macro/micro requirements, but only you (and your doctor) know what's best. I never felt the urge to binge on 1200, but I know many people do, and that's the downfall. Honestly though,1200 calories in not necessary for successful weight loss, and depending on your activity level, you could still lose pretty steadily on 1300-1500 calories, or even more. I agree with above posters; definitely eat back those exercise calories. Stay safe, and enjoy the ride! ^^