How fast do you run?

Options
I'm working up to outdoor running; still on a treadmill at the moment. My comfortable running/jogging speed is 8.8km/hr ....I just can't seem to build up anymore speed without shortening my workout. I can't help but feel like I'm really slow (my brother does 13km/hr). Sometimes I do interval jogging with spurts of sprinting at 11km and slower periods around 7.6. Should I push to go faster or just stay in my "comfort zone?" I usually do 40 minutes.

Replies

• jeff261159
    jeff261159 Posts: 385
    Options
    i started running / jogging around 4 months ago. I run about 5 to 6 mph from 45 minutes to about 75 minutes. This morning i did a 10 mile / 16 km run at 5.5 mph for 111 minutes. Its not about the speed, its about the stamina and extending the duration of your runs. Whatever you do, listen to your body, make sure you do your stretches and most importantly - enjoy it!!!
  • sprinkies
    sprinkies Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    i run at a 6.0 for runs up to 6 miles, i usually only do a 5.7-5.9 for my long runs (9+ miles)
  • themyriadthings
    themyriadthings Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I am a very slow runner. My best 5K so far was 37:57. But I really like running and I don't care too much how fast I go as long as I'm out there enjoying myself and moving my body. That being said, I bet you would run faster just going outside! Running is so much more fun outside than on the treadmill!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to get outside. I run way faster outside, without feeling like I'm going any faster, than I can on the treadmill. And I "learned to run" on a treadmill. But for me, it's just much more exhausting. I think it's because you have to keep the exact pace on the treadmill, whereas running outside, you can speed up a little and slow down a little as needed. So overall, your average is faster. At least mine is.
  • hail87666
    hail87666 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I was working on increasing the distance (got up to 7km) but recently had an op so just taking it up again. I'll carry on with that plan
  • hail87666
    hail87666 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I can't run outside yet! I don't know why, tried it a couple of times but get really knackered after a couple of kilometres ...and I always seem to twist my ankle. It's a goal though.
  • cahira
    cahira Posts: 163
    Options
    I am a very slow runner. My best 5K so far was 37:57.

My current dream is to get my 5K under 40 minutes! But I totally agree that running outside beats all. Even when it's as hot and humid as all get out here in Florida!
  • SweetP88
    SweetP88 Posts: 79
    Options
    I started out quite slow and now I am an average runner....I worked up to it....10k (57 min) and half marathon (2 hrs 7 min).
  • Courtneymartinez
    Options
    I am a slow runner too. I think its best to listen to your body and improve at your own pace. I love to run and figure I will just get to my goals at my own pace. Just remember to push yourself once in a while, you can sometimes surprise yourself!
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    If you don't push yourself beyond your comfort zone, you will never leave your comfort zone. I think HIIT workouts are the best way to get used to running faster as you push yourself for a short amount of time. If you continue doing these, you should find that these will become easier and you can either go faster or continue sprinting longer. A lot of times it is your mind holding you back, not your body.