I did it, I changed my goal, I am taking it slow...

Options
Hi all, Just thought I would share my struggle. When I first started I was super excited and motivated to lose weight and lose it for good and wanted to do all this fast, so silly because we all know it took awhile to get in this state why do we all "wake up" and expect miracles! I personally think because our brain really sees ourselves for the first time in a long time and we panic! Like how the heck did this happen? Who fell asleep at the wheel? Dang, clothes are far to stretchy! So back to the story, I had set my goals to 1 1/2lb a week. Safe? Yes! Do-able? Yes! Hungry? You bet! MFP put me at 1200 cals a day. I didn't always eat my exercise cals back because I didn't trust the numbers. I am seeing results because I am busting my *kitten*, super motivated like! I started reading the community forums like crazy in search of the "secret" I learned a bit, most contradicting, but informative, I was also inspired by some. The common thread and heated discussion was on how many cals to take in and if we should eat more or not. I agree everyone needs to find their own balance and what works for them. But let me ask you this, is fear holding you back? It was with me. I am letting go and I changed my goals to 1lb a week so MFP is telling me to eat 1500 cals a day. I am going to eat more and continue to eat healthy and exercise and I have a feeling I will see the same if not better results. Because if this is a lifestyle change what does it matter how long it takes and why should we be uncomfortable with our new life when we don't have to be? Anyone else take the "more food" leap and and loving it? I am excited to see where my journey takes me. Feel free to add me as a friend if you are also super motivated! Love you guys! :love:

Replies

• otovsen
    otovsen Posts: 1
    Options
    You were starving yourself....especially if your current weight is 192! and even worse, you were exercising alot and probably not eating your exercise calories! Yikes! Your body was in starvation, fat-storing mode! I am so glad you decided to up your caloric intake....you're gonna do great now! Good luck!
  • lyrical_21
    lyrical_21 Posts: 25
    Options
    I totally agree with you!!!! There is no need to rush the results since this is suppose to be a lifestyle change. And since there is no need to rush to achieve the goal weight maybe once we reach it we'll be able to maintain it.
  • pamgolden
    pamgolden Posts: 3
    Options
    Thank you for your post. I enjoyed reading it, It is so open, honest and real! I started using MFP around 5 days ago and I'm finding it so helpful. When I know how I have lost a lot of weight quickly (but put most of it back on), I keep thinking I should go for the quick loss. But I am working on having my 1268 calories a day and getting the feel of it in my body and making it a habit. I have been eating Weight Watchers Smart Ones for many of my meals. I have found that to be really helpful.

As you say, this is a lifestyle change and needs to be built up in a way that it is maintained. I turned 65 in November and I want my "Golden Years" to be truly Golden, so I want to be physically fit and able to climb mountains (at least small ones!).

Thanks again.

Pam
    SW 178
    CW 175.5
    GW 135-145
    5'6"
  • TrophyWifeSass
    TrophyWifeSass Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I think I was starving myself but my body has so much jiggly stuff to lose that it hadn't affected my weight loss yet. I am sure if I stayed on that track It would have had negative affects. I really believe (now) that we can live and lose and enjoy life! I am really enjoying feeling fit and fitting in my clothes! Life is good! Thanks all for reading! :smile:
  • liveskinnyxo
    liveskinnyxo Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    AGREED! recently upped my cals & loving it, i have more energy to workout & more focus now that I dont have a rumbly tummy. the goal isn't to be skinny, it's to be healthy. skinny is the icing on the fruit (:
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,248 Member
    Options
    Glad you realized this, so many don't.
  • Yori1
    Yori1 Posts: 142
    Options
    Glad you found that to be the case, started at about 76kg on MFP in March and decided to set myself to lose just 1/2lb a week - lost steadily until i upped it to 1lb a week and since then, no weight loss, so i've now gone back to 1/2lb a week - and guess what the scale is finally moving. lol.

Glad i did that as i feel confident that i will be able to maintain my weight loss when i reach my goal weight...... I say to myself to enjoy the journey, it's not a race/competition.......
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your post. I enjoyed reading it, It is so open, honest and real! I started using MFP around 5 days ago and I'm finding it so helpful. When I know how I have lost a lot of weight quickly (but put most of it back on), I keep thinking I should go for the quick loss. But I am working on having my 1268 calories a day and getting the feel of it in my body and making it a habit. I have been eating Weight Watchers Smart Ones for many of my meals. I have found that to be really helpful.

As you say, this is a lifestyle change and needs to be built up in a way that it is maintained. I turned 65 in November and I want my "Golden Years" to be truly Golden, so I want to be physically fit and able to climb mountains (at least small ones!).

Thanks again.

Pam
    SW 178
    CW 175.5
    GW 135-145
    5'6"

I can't believe i'm actually going to write this as I was the Lean Cuisine QUEEN! My hubby bugged me for years not to eat them....I never listened. LOL. But be careful with them as they are usually very carb heavy and SODIUM heavy. Also, husband SWEARS on his life that they are not legally responsible for putting the correct info on the label. That science teams have actually done tests and they are much higher in calories than they say. Did I lose a lot of weight at first on them? Yes...so I don't know....he's usually spot on with that kind of info...but I've tried to switch to salads the size of my head so A) I'm not eating all the sodium B) it's not all carbs and C) the salad is a lot more food and it takes me much longer. I can eat a Smart One in two seconds. :-D So, not to judge at ALL. I lived off of these for a decade! But just some food for thought!! :smile:
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,248 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what the case is in other countries, but in Canada they have to have at least the amount of product that is on the label. The problem is because they have to have at least that much, they shoot for more to avoid legal problems. The calories are probably correct for the appropriate serving size (at least close enough) but the serving in the actual container is very likely bigger than what is labeled. For fun some time weigh a slice of bread and see how close it is to the weight they say it is supposed to be. I have never found it to be right on.