How many calories is this?

Options
dpr73
dpr73 Posts: 495 Member
nh4kwr0bn5zp.jpeg
Hello,

I am retrying the bulk cycle again after decent results the first time. This time I am making special note of the quality of foods I'm taking in (a little more clean). However, being at school weighing and accuracy is not so easy in the dining hall, although I can usually use measuring ladles provided for things like rice. Attached is a picture of my lunch today and just for my own knowledge going forward I was wondering what you all thought the numbers would be on this:
I said it was 6oz chicken (there is a second similarly sized piece under the first breast), 1.5 cups pineapple, 1 cup brown rice and then the salad which didn't add up to much.
I logged about 690 cals for the whole lunch

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Did you weigh each item on a food scale in grams? If not, I can't tell you.
  • BekahC1980
    BekahC1980 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Can't help on the guessing but having major drool looking at it
  • dpr73
    Options

Unable to do this as I am in college dining hall. This is the problem

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    dpr73 wrote: »

Unable to do this as I am in college dining hall. This is the problem

Then your guess is as good as mine.
  • mixa4u
    mixa4u Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    yep, mby even less than 690.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Having done professional kitchen work in strict dietary requirement settings for a long time, and having a pretty good estimate eye- I think, just from looking and guessing at plate size (standard school cafeteria?) that you're about spot on, maybe a little lighter on the rice. 690 is a good high estimate, depending on the sugar content of the pineapple and the type of dressing on the salad (looks like a straight-up vinaigrette?)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Not enough for a bulk.

But roughly:

Chicken - 400
    Rice - 160
    Pineapple - 150
    Veggies - 30
    Dressing - 50

So 790 depending on how much chicken that is.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Not enough for a bulk.

But roughly:

Chicken - 400
    Rice - 160
    Pineapple - 150
    Veggies - 30
    Dressing - 50

Really? Compared to the salt shaker, those look like really small chicken breasts.
  • sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I think you're probably over-estimating a tad. Going off of both the comparative size of the chicken to the (1) plate and (2) salt shaker, I would guess you're at around 5oz's, maybe.

EDIT: Looks tasty and well balanced.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    Not enough for a bulk.

But roughly:

Chicken - 400
    Rice - 160
    Pineapple - 150
    Veggies - 30
    Dressing - 50

Really? Compared to the salt shaker, those look like really small chicken breasts.

It's probably 4-5 oz. But it also depends if it's marinaded. So if you really want, you can take off 100 calories. And than 690 would be the best guess.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

Because...the answer to everything.

But for a 21 yo male - mostly this:
    Not enough for a bulk.

• peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Just gotta guesstimate! I do that often. Better to weigh food, but as long as you are logging as accurately as possible you should be fine. Get a scale and start weighing food when you're at home so you have a better idea of what say, 6 oz. of chicken breast looks like. This will help for guessing when you're out to eat.
  • dpr73
    Options
    Thanks guys. I am finding that my eye is very good (I have done a bit of practice when I first lost weight). The vinaigrette was simply a drizzle of balsamic over top the salad. The other "dressing" for salad is cream based dressings which I like to avoid.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I am finding that my eye is very good (I have done a bit of practice when I first lost weight). The vinaigrette was simply a drizzle of balsamic over top the salad. The other "dressing" for salad is cream based dressings which I like to avoid.

Is there a particular reason you avoid cream based dressings? The extra calories would likely help with your bulk.
  • dpr73
    Options
    Not enough for a bulk.

But roughly:

Chicken - 400
    Rice - 160
    Pineapple - 150
    Veggies - 30
    Dressing - 50

It's two breasts (both comparable size...so the one on the bottom is equal in size almost exactly to the top one). And I am trying to break down meals evenly throughout the day so three bigger sized ones and then just feeding between. I think this is easy cause i could eat all day honestly. I have been hitting between about 2400-2700 (guesstimating) and just gonna monitor weight from there. My protein seems to be coming in high everyday but I am in the process of getting healthy fats and carbs in to balance.
  • dpr73
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Is there a particular reason you avoid cream based dressings? The extra calories would likely help with your bulk.

I just never loved creamy fatty dressings and honestly I would rather expend the calories elsewhere. Also, I'm trying to keep the surplus small to slowly and sustainably put on muscle. So I am adding things as my weight kind of dictates.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    My estimate was the same as yours OP