I don't even know what to eat anymore...

Options
Been researching diets/weight loss etc. and am so freaking confused about macros... I lost 15lbs and would like to drop another 25. I'm exercising (cardio and strength training regularly), and being so much better (not perfect, but so much better) about what I eat, but not seeing a loss. Don't get me wrong I feel a thousand times better just with working out, but I really want to shrink a few sizes. I don't believe in "low fat" products since with the removal of fat, they are adding other crap I don't need/want! I can't seem to get enough protein and still find myself eating way too many carbs. I'd love some suggestions...

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose weight, focus on the calories -- not your macros.

Ensure you're getting sufficient protein and fat and you should be fine. Do you have trouble identifying foods that are higher in protein or do you not like foods with protein? If you share why you struggle getting enough protein, you may get some useful advice.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    Sometimes simplifying things such as your food makes it easier. cook a chicken breast, weigh out 3-4 ounces and eat that. OR, dice it up and have it on a salad, or over rice, measure and track it all. I love sautéed mushrooms so I'll have chicken and mushrooms pretty often. OR I will slice up an apple and nibble on 3 ounces of chicken breast and a sliced apple, the whole thing is about 250 calories.

Find the low calorie thing you like and eat it often...apples, carrots, celery, whatever it is!

if you eat packaged foods or foods where there are a lot of ingredients, it is hard to track and measure. If your macros are confusing you, stick with total calories. You will find that if more of those calories are from proteins you will not get as hungry throughout the day.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Make you diary public and you will get better suggestions. Also what are your macros set to now?
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    Don't overthink it. You don't need to adhere to a special diet. If you find watching your macros overwhelming or confusing at this point, then just focus on staying within your calorie goal, for now. In your spare time, you can read the forums to learn more about macro options and why people choose them. For now, just focus on maintaining a modest calorie deficit and exercising regularly.
  • australianna
    australianna Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Fruits and vegetables, nuts, legumes, lean meats whole grains, dairy, avocados. Stay away from added sugar and artificial foods. I lost 40 pounds by counting calories, giving up refined sugar and I eat very well and I am maintaining my weight loss almost a year later. Eat more protein and you won't crave carbs so much, the only bad carbs are the refined grains and sugars, vegetables and fruit are a wonderful form of carbs. Logging foods everyday and staying within my calorie range and exercising. I hope this helps, it really has worked for me and I feel great at 58.
  • esn222
    esn222 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    My current calorie goal is 1230; macros set to: carbs 25%/Fat30%/protein45%
    I like protein and try to eat clean (hubby is NO HELP in this dept lol). I just set my diary to public.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Start with what you would normally eat. Look at the portions and reduce them as needed to fit your calorie goals. That's all you need to lose weight.

However, for improved health, you probably also want to look at macros (just go with what MFP tells you, at least to start) and the overall composition of your diet. If you're low on protein, make a few substitutions - nuts, canned tuna, greek yogurt, etc are easy sources. There's also nothing wrong with protein bars or shakes if you like them (and, of course, lean meats give lots of protein). You may have to substitute some other foods so you can fit the protein in. Also look for where you can add in fruits and vegetables (veggies are usually pretty low calorie, so you can add them in without having to give up much else).

As far as foods to avoid - unless you have medical issues there's no need to cut anything you enjoy out of your diet. It's all about finding the right balance in portions, etc.

• janejellyroll
    Options
    esn222 wrote: »
    My current calorie goal is 1230; macros set to: carbs 25%/Fat30%/protein45%
    I like protein and try to eat clean (hubby is NO HELP in this dept lol). I just set my diary to public.

It looks like you include a lot of higher carbohydrate foods in your diet (bananas, potatoes, maple syrup, pierogies, beans, chia pudding, pasta). Are you sure you've chosen a macro breakdown that meets how you like to eat? You don't have to limit your carbohydrates to 25% (unless you have a medical condition that you haven't shared). How did you decide to limit carbohydrates to 25%?

Some people enjoy "eating clean," but it isn't necessary for weight loss. If you want to lose weight, you just have to be in a calorie deficit.
  • esn222
    Options
    I avoid gluten as it upsets my stomach but otherwise my carb lowering was based on what I have been reading about the sugars in carbs. This is partly where I am torn - the bananas, chia seeds, beans should be part of a healthy diet as long as they have significant fiber, no??
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    esn222 wrote: »
    I avoid gluten as it upsets my stomach but otherwise my carb lowering was based on what I have been reading about the sugars in carbs. This is partly where I am torn - the bananas, chia seeds, beans should be part of a healthy diet as long as they have significant fiber, no??

I don't know what you read about the sugars in carbohydrates, but as long as you are in a calorie deficit you can lose weight and still consume carbohydrates. I got about 60% of my calories from carbohydrates when I was losing weight (not that you should necessarily go this high, just sharing for an example).

Bananas, chia pudding, beans -- these can absolutely be part of your diet while you're losing weight.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    Track carbs, not sugar. Low carb is unnecessary. You can do it if you want, but it's not necessary for weight loss or health.

OP is tracking carbohydrates -- says in initial post that carbohydrates are too high.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP there is a lot of confusing (often conflicting) information available about what people need to do to lose weight. The simple answer is... be in a calorie deficit. That's it. Now, the foods that you eat to achieve that calorie deficit vary largely by individual preference and some people have medical reasons to restrict certain macros or certain types of food. If you do not have a reason to restrict carbs or sugar, it is not required to lose weight.

My standard advice for people starting out:
    1. Set up MFP with accurate stats (height, weight, activity level) and reasonable goals
    2. Track everything you eat as accurately as possible, using a food scale ideally.
    3. Eat a variety of foods, focusing on nutrient dense items and things that fill you up, but don't be afraid to leave room for a treat if you like.
    4. Exercise if you enjoy it, making sure you eat back at least a portion of those exercise calories.
    5. Be patient

There's good stuff in this thread too, as well as the ones linked above:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1235566/so-youre-new-here/p1
  • bannedword
    bannedword Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Food. Eat food.

It's not really that complicated.
  • morgan_mfit
    morgan_mfit Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Eat a lot of white meat. Chicken, seafood, and turkey are low in fat. Quest bars are tasty, packed with protein and fiber as well. You can buy them on many online stores (vitacost, the quest bar website, others..)

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose weight, focus on the calories -- not your macros.

This ^^

Just eat a balanced diet that leaves you in a calorie deficit. Don't over complicate it.
  • esn222
    Options
    Thank you all :smiley: I'm going to try to track more accurately and worry less about the macros. I appreciate the input and support!!
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Your calories seem pretty low considering how much you workout. Have you tried increasing them to try an lose 0.5 - 1lb a week? Macros are important, but I agree if you are confused I would get calories on point then worry about macros.
  • esn222
    Options
    I've only just increased the intensity of my workouts (doubled my cardio this week). I thought the calories sound low too, which is why I felt like I should've been seeing more progress.