I have never had wild animal steak. Deer. I guess it does not exist?

Options

Replies

• brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    It's just a cut. Steaks, roasts, burger; they are all just methods for butchering. They most certainly do exist. If this seems like I'm just stating the obvious (I feel like I am), I'm only doing it because I'm confused by the OP. There are lots of foods I've never eaten, or versions of food in this case, but I don't assume they don't exist just because they've never made it past my pie hole. But maybe I missed something. Apologies for my lack of understanding.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Venison is tasty - it's available here at Central Market (occasionally) and at my local butcher's. Plenty of restaurants, too. I usually skip the steak and go for stew instead.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    brower47 wrote: »
    There are lots of foods I've never eaten, or versions of food in this case, but I don't assume they don't exist just because they've never made it past my pie hole.

This was my thought from the title too. The OP didn't actually clear it up, but I got from the post that she had looked for it and not been able to find it. Then again, at one point (years ago) I looked for a suet pudding and could not find one and did not then conclude that those people in the UK were playing an elaborate con on us and that they did not really exist.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    ITS POPULAR HERE IN THE BOONDOCKS OF NC. NEVER SEEN IT IN STORES BUT MOST FOLKS KNOW HUNTERS WHO ARE HAPPY TO SHARE,.

sorry, caps not typing all that back out. LOL
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    I had it only once when I was a kid. My family made me cry as they told me that I had eaten Bambi. :disappointed:

Well, now, that's just mean! Did they tell you that you ate Bessie the cow after you had a hamburger? I hope it was all in jest and not serious.

Anyway, I used to eat a lot of deer and elk meat because my first husband was a hunter. Still get some steaks from him occasionally, but I gave up meat a while back anyway. There are a few local butchers you can buy it from but it's not readily available at the grocery stores.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    To get venison here, you have to kill it yourself, or know a very generous hunter. I typically send my deer out for processing, and get back the backstraps and tenderloins, ground venison, and custom made summer sausage. I could just order it butchered, and get back roasts and steaks. It's incredibly lean, however, and unless you like your meat rare or medium rare, you won't care for it. cooking it past medium changes the flavor, and makes it tough due to a lack of natural fat. I have my butcher add beef suet to my ground venison to add fat and flavor.
  • kenwoelk
    kenwoelk Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have 100 lbs of Venison burger and 100 lbs of venison steak in my freezer. You can't buy it in the store, it's illegal to sell wild animal's meat in the USA. I bow hunt, and had a good year. It is VERY lean, and VERY healthy. With deer overpopulation, we need more hunters to keep the population in check.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    brower47 wrote: »
    There are lots of foods I've never eaten, or versions of food in this case, but I don't assume they don't exist just because they've never made it past my pie hole.

This was my thought from the title too. The OP didn't actually clear it up, but I got from the post that she had looked for it and not been able to find it. Then again, at one point (years ago) I looked for a suet pudding and could not find one and did not then conclude that those people in the UK were playing an elaborate con on us and that they did not really exist.

No, I didn't get that at all from OP's point. I got that she was wondering why if you can cut a steak from cattle, why she's never heard of a deer steak, only ground venison... But again, rather than going to the Google, OP has chosen to ask the wise folks of MFP to solve the world's mysteries for her.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    We live to serve!
  • M3ltD0Vvn
    M3ltD0Vvn Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Generally need to add another fat since venison is so lean. Duck fat is popular. I do a 24 hour marinade in Beer, Worcestershire Sauce, and spices (pepper, salt etc). I dislike venison as it tends to be too gamy - tastes like soil to me with the exception of deer salami, but my kids LOVE it.

I prefer Elk - and even then I prefer it slow cooked and shredded into a chili.

As a side note, I don't like pheasant either, and all my friends rave about it when I come home with a fat hen. I BBQ it and let them tear into it, while I eat an inconspicuous chicken breast haha.

\m/

• AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Yes you can have deer steak. It's delicious.
  • superfox12082
    superfox12082 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I have venison steaks and chops and roasts in my freezer. Not sure how it doesn't exist...
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    I've only had them from hunters. Venison steaks need to be rare!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    yes backstrap! I often get meat from my father's pals when they hunt. I'm making elk chili tonight in fact, from a pound of ground & a pound of elk steaks I need to use up, adding a bit of fatty beef & chorizo.

There's a place called Broken Arrow Ranch that specializes in game meats as well. We've bought from there before, excellent products... https://www.brokenarrowranch.com/

I love to braise venison for pot pies, this was most of a venison hind that was given to me...omgyum

6urcmdhlof3m.jpg

I have been craving pot pie for two months. That looks so good.
  • MichelleB69
    MichelleB69 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I grew up eating wild game: mostly deer, elk, moose and grouse as my dad was/is a hunter and we did not buy any of our meat from a store. I grew up in MT and currently reside in WY and can't recall ever seeing wild game meat for sale in any of our grocery stores, but it may be available at your local butcher or meat shop?
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm.....back straps.......
  • timetochange52
    timetochange52 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    It can be processed into the same cuts of meat that you get from any other animal - steaks, roasts, chops, etc- either by sending out to a butcher or home processing. I have always processed mine at home, and circumvent the hamburger or sausage processing by just using the misc. parts as what we call "fry meat" for soups, stews, and chili. I even brown/broil the bones in the oven and then cook them down for a nice soup base.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    The biggest issue is it seems like you can only get them from hunters. Deer meat is hard to find in grocery stores, at least for where I live. Not a lot of deer farms around.

It's illegal to farm deer in the US. And hopefully will remain that way. If farmed they would quickly go the way of other farmed animals.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    The backstrap is the best venison steak IMO.

Some of the local deer processors in my area will sell deer meat that is not picked up timely. You'd be surprised how many people kill a deer, take it to the processor, then never show up to pick it up. I guess they don't have the $60 processing fee.
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    The biggest issue is it seems like you can only get them from hunters. Deer meat is hard to find in grocery stores, at least for where I live. Not a lot of deer farms around.

It's illegal to farm deer in the US. And hopefully will remain that way. If farmed they would quickly go the way of other farmed animals.

not farming, but again:

purveyor of free-range game in the US

https://www.brokenarrowranch.com/

their processing is pretty amazing