Costco

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
I just found out that a Costco is going to open 5 minutes from my house. I'm so excited about this.

What do you typically buy there? What's a good deal, and what isn't? I typically only buy things on sale at my regular grocery stores so I'm wondering if it's worth it? I went to BJ's for a while but in the end buying on sale at my normal store was cheaper, but it was also 15-20 minutes away, not 5.

Replies

• jessica22222
    jessica22222 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I'm in Canada
    I buy boxes of frozen chicken breasts
    Peanut butter
    Cereal
    Eggs
    Butter
    Fruit
    Veggies
    Olive oil
    Spices
    Bread (freeze)
    English muffins (freeze)
    Milk
    Cheese

...just about everything! The mark up at Costco is very very low. They make their money on memberships so most things are worth buying there. I do a large once per month shop there, then maintenance shop weekly for little extras the rest of the month.
  • PaulineNicole_
    PaulineNicole_ Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    What to buy:
    • Vitamins
    • Protein Powder/ Shakes
    • Veggies/Salad mix
    • Fruit
    • Eggs

What not to buy:
    Perishables that will go to waste
    Note: In my small household of two (just me and my husband) I have fallen into the trap of buying too much at Costco because everything is in bulk and cheep, so food goes to waste. Be careful with buying too much that your family cannot finish.
  • drdwngfan
    drdwngfan Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    The meat and seafood selection is awesome. Great steaks !!!
  • Graymanstole
    Graymanstole Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Coffee. It's the entire reason I have a Costco membership.
  • whirlygigs16
    whirlygigs16 Posts: 6 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I buy all of my non food items there - detergent, dishwasher soap, trash bags, toilet paper , diapers, etc
    It's nice to only need to buy these once every couple of months.
    I don't pay attention to prices though.
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Raw almonds, almond butter, coffee
  • Ribena145
    Ribena145 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Their ground turkey is great.....good substitute for ground beef in spaghetti and burgers....also love the Janet & Greta Gourmet chicken burgers - available in Canada, not sure about the States - super easy to make and nutritional good.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    We are so obsessed with Costco! I used to think it was a load of crap and that nothing could be that good of a deal, but it really is. Ziploc bags, trash bags, cleaning products, paper goods, chicken breast - all stuff that is excellent to stock up on at Costco. I can get double the amount of lotion/shampoo/conditioner for the same cost that I typically would at Walmart. Definitely worth the membership fee. If you get the upper level membership you also get 2% back!
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Coffee. It's the entire reason I have a Costco membership.

Hahahaha, this is so me.
  • pfgaytriot
    pfgaytriot Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Fruit
    Meat
    Coffee
    Juice
    Eggs
    Fish oil
    Vitamins
    Protein powder
    Socks
    Shampoo and Conditioner
    Bacon
    Windshield wipers

Well... just about everything. You could even buy a car or a coffin there if you wanted to!
  • toe1226
    toe1226 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I am SO excited for you, Costco is my FAVORITE.

Walnuts, Pecans, Almonds, Pistachios
    Turkey Cold Cuts
    Turkey Burgers
    Salmon, Tilapia
    Corn Tortillas
    Spring Mix Boxes
    Tomatos
    Bell Peppers
    Sweet Potatos
    Egg Whites
    Canned Wild Alaskan Salmon (for salads)

...oh thanks you just made my grocery list for me!!!
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    Their fresh produce is the best (especially avocados)! We also love their hummus. Although not low-cal, their cheesecake is wonderful (and cheap) for a party. Their allergy meds and Ibuprofen are also super-cheap. We also buy coffee, pre-cooked bacon, trash bags, dishwasher tablets. And I've bought my kids lots of cute, brand-name clothes for cheap.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Their house brand individual frozen salmon filets- Great price, easy dinner.
    Basil-pesto frozen talapia
    Morningstar original veggie sausage patties- They are almost half the price of the grocery store.
    Chicken thighs- freeze well
    Socks
    Any vitamins/meds

ALWAYS grab a $5 rotisserie chicken for dinner! So good!

Also, stop by the cafe thing- $1.65 huge nonfat swirl froyo is always my treat, and bf gets the giant polish dog.
  • xickel
    xickel Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    All of the above, plus clothes and bedding
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Like someone above said, watch the produce. I've too often bought it there and it goes bad before I can eat it. Mostly I buy non-perishables and things that you can store in the freezer. Exception is spinach. I do buy their large bucket of spinach there because I go through that stuff like water.

The most common things we buy there are:
    • Nuts (almonds, pecans & walnuts) - They come in a large bag, but nuts freeze well
    • Fresh spinach - way cheaper than in the grocery stores
    • In season fruit
    • Frozen fruit (like peaches, cherries, pineapple, blueberries)
    • Frozen chicken
    • Cereal/Oatmeal/Granola
    • Condiments
    • Kirkland brand paper towels, toilet paper, napkins and tissue paper
    • Cleaning products (dish soap, laundry detergent, fabric softner, etc.)
    • Personal products (lotion, shampoo, condition, toothpaste, etc.)
    • Over-the-counter meds
    The occasional stuff:
    • Bedding
    • Electronics (radios, tablets, monitor, tv, etc.)
    • Photography equipment
    We've also occasionally used their pharmacy, and I'm thinking about checking out their optometry section on my next trip.

I also have to remind myself to not go there hungry. Free samples everywhere! The only day of the week I can get out there is Saturday, which is usually crazy-busy, so to beat the crowds I usually get there within an hour after they open.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Everything. Almost literally.

Costco coffee fans-- What do you buy? I never know what coffees are good, being new to coffee. I do buy whole beans there and grind them, though. Oh.. or are you getting k-cups?
  • KellieTru
    KellieTru Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I buy:
    My salmon
    Brie (never giving it up!)
    Parmesan cheese wedge (huge! Lasts my household 6 months)
    Thick bacon in the two pack
    Hummus
    Coffee
    Their brand spices...they used to have a dry seasoning rub that they no longer sell and I'm so sad about that!
    Raw mushrooms...great deal!
    Pineapple spears
    Lettuce
    Avocados
    Crackers
    Frozen chicken breast
    Frozen shrimp
    Smoked salmon
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I'm following this thread because between aldi and pricerite I seem to get great prices.
  • Panda_brat
    Panda_brat Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Fruit, veggies, nuts, greek yogurt, cheese, all sorts of house hold non food items, clothing (good quality fairly cheep since i have to get smaller sizes evrey few months). I love looking around seeing what deals I can get. oh, and almost forgot booze.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I used to have a Costco membership but switched to Sam's club when there was a groupon making the membership practically free.

I'm a couponer so I tend to get stuff that I can't get cheap with coupons. Stuff like:
    Spices
    Parmesan and romano cheeses
    Romaine hearts
    Whole Turkey around the holidays
    Flour (for bread baking)
    Yeast
    Giant bags of chicken nuggets
    Rotisserie chicken
    Sam's club brand dishwasher tabs
    Toilet bowl cleaner
    Nuetrogena face wipes
    Contact lens solution
    Sam's club brand baby wipes

Every month they send out "coupons" for specific items - if they are a good deal for something we eat/use I will get it. Like last month gogurts were on sale so I got 2 boxes. We just bought a big screen tv too - lol