Fishing for KETOSIS/INDUCTION friends.

Options
Hello there.

I'm looking for others like myself who are currently subscribing to the "keto" diet. Basically, that's an incredibly restricted-carb diet, also known as Atkins induction.

IS ANYONE OUT THERE?! I'm in a vast sea of carb-lovers and I can't seem to find more than a few people like myself!

Replies

• nitenic
    nitenic Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Here I am! :)

I did a program that was very similar to the induction phase of Atkins from May-October and lost 65 lbs. I've been maintaining since then but have another 40-60 to go and want to restart the program in April.
  • Pinkribbon_Doc
    Options
    Hi! :) Im going low carb/high protein. Im not really following Atkins and the whole induction stuff, but trying to keep my carbs below 50g/day and eating boat loads of protein!

Feel free to add me...we can look at each others food diaries and get ideas!
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    IS ANYONE OUT THERE?! I'm in a vast sea of carb-lovers and I can't seem to find more than a few people like myself!

It's because carbs are a vital part of any nutrition plan. I did the Atkins method between high school and college. Yeah, I lost 50 pounds in 3 months, but looking back, I wasn't healthy. I had almost no real muscles or strength. And as soon as I tried eating "normal" again, the weight came back. Every single one of those 50 pounds. My digestive system has never been the same since either

I'm losing those 50 pounds again, but this time I am doing it by eating healthy and moderation in all aspects of my food intake. Carbs are a vital part. Fat is a vital part. Same with protein, fiber, etc. But I know when I need to adjust to maintaining, it's going to be so much easier.

Just a word of wisdom from someone who has been there and done that. Skip the heartache and do it "the hard way". It's much more fulfilling, and you'll be the better for it.
  • ErrataCorrige
    ErrataCorrige Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I did Atkins and it just didn't work for me, but I am of the opinion that it can really be effective for people who can live a healthy, low-carb lifestyle comfortably.

You can add me as a friend. Even though I am a carb lover :) we can still support each other!
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options

It's because carbs are a vital part of any nutrition plan. I did the Atkins method between high school and college. Yeah, I lost 50 pounds in 3 months, but looking back, I wasn't healthy. I had almost no real muscles or strength. And as soon as I tried eating "normal" again, the weight came back. Every single one of those 50 pounds. My digestive system has never been the same since either

I'm losing those 50 pounds again, but this time I am doing it by eating healthy and moderation in all aspects of my food intake. Carbs are a vital part. Fat is a vital part. Same with protein, fiber, etc. But I know when I need to adjust to maintaining, it's going to be so much easier.

Just a word of wisdom from someone who has been there and done that. Skip the heartache and do it "the hard way". It's much more fulfilling, and you'll be the better for it.

It is true, you need carbs. Cutting out things like white bread and things with bleached flour-all your unhealthy carbs. Fruit, whole grains are good. Your body needs these. Basically your body needs this. Your body uses carbs to function, if you are not getting enough they will go for other sources such as protein. So it is like having a house and using the boards (protein) from that house to create a fire to stay warm. So someone give you more wood (protein) and instead of using it to build back that house you keep burning it to stay warm. Your body isn't getting carbs for energy so it is using your protein. You need your protein for you muscles especially for exercise to rebuild, but if you aren't giving your body the carbs they need your body will not rebuild it will take it for the energy it is not getting from the carbs=unhealthy.

You may lose weight, but a lot of it may be lean mass-so be careful!!
  • nitenic
    nitenic Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi! :) Im going low carb/high protein. Im not really following Atkins and the whole induction stuff, but trying to keep my carbs below 50g/day and eating boat loads of protein!

Feel free to add me...we can look at each others food diaries and get ideas!

Awesome!! I can't wait to get started again. I know seeing y'all's diaries and posts will definitely help stay motivated.
  • KillyKhan
    KillyKhan Posts: 12
    Options
    First of all, it's not really a diet. It's a way of eating, much like becoming vegetarian or vegan for your own special reason. You don't start it planning to "go off" of it at some point. I still eat my fiber, my protein, my vegetables, stay under my BMR calories for the most part, and I take a multivitamin as well as fish oil just like I used to when I was eating 150-200 carbohydrates a day 2 months ago. Only now I feel like a million bucks.

Secondly, I'd like an article with some science (that makes sense) that tells me exactly why I need more than 20 net carbohydrates outside of my daily fiber requirements. I know a lot of people see low-carb as a "quick fix" diet, but I've been researching this for about 6 months and personally see it as a viable, natural way to eat that I'd like to adopt as a lifestyle.

If anyone had done any reading past "The Atkins Diet Revolution" on this subject would know that your body does not actually use your muscle mass for energy once you are in ketosis. If you've balanced yourself the right way regarding your macronutrients (yes, I keep track of those!), your body actually starts to utilize the fat (like from your omentum, that dreaded fat-holding organ attached to your stomach that smashes your other organs and therefore makes them less affective).

Lastly, why would you go into a topic that says someone is looking for low-to-no carb friends to preach at that person? That is useless. What I would LIKE to know is why you "went off" keto.

Also, anyone who thinks that keto is "the easy way" is full of it. I really love watching my friends eating burritos, pastries and other things I would be able to have "in moderation" had I not chosen to eat this way. It's really cool to get stared at when I take the burger off the bun. No! Even though I don't crave these foods anymore (really!) I don't like being the odd one out. However, I DO like being able to bike the extra five miles on the stationary with all the energy I have.
  • Pinkribbon_Doc
    Options
    Amen and Thank you for this. People need to start understanding that throughout human history we have been largely meat and protein eaters. Enjoying carb heavy meals only started with the introduction of mass producing corn and wheat. The bodys default fuel source come from the break down of fats (through beta oxidation) into ketones which are used by the brain and your body to produce a whopping amount of the bodies fuel (ATP). That being said, the idea that we NEED carbs to be healthy is an assumption that is perpetuated by unfounded, unscientific nonsense. I suggest everyone who disagrees to watch the documentary "Fat head" and also to look into Gary Taubes books "Good Calories, Bad Calories" and "Why we are Fat". The reason people gain right back after being on a low carb diet is because they are going back to eating carbs again...which essentially results in disregulation of your insulin response. So no duh you put on weight. Being low carb is a lifestyle, not a diet...you will shed the pounds and maintain the weight you are naturally supposed to be at. Those who say they were weak and lost muscle mass were obviously not doing strength or weight training. Muscle atrophy does not come from a low carb diet, it comes from not working out those muscles. Low carb results in utilizing the bodies fat stores to produce energy. Sorry for the rant, but sometimes reading peoples misinformation can get aggravating especially in such a public forum that can influence people. Read the literature (pubmed, not some random about.com blog post) and come to your own conclusions :)
    /rant
    First of all, it's not really a diet. It's a way of eating, much like becoming vegetarian or vegan for your own special reason. You don't start it planning to "go off" of it at some point. I still eat my fiber, my protein, my vegetables, stay under my BMR calories for the most part, and I take a multivitamin as well as fish oil just like I used to when I was eating 150-200 carbohydrates a day 2 months ago. Only now I feel like a million bucks.

Secondly, I'd like an article with some science (that makes sense) that tells me exactly why I need more than 20 net carbohydrates outside of my daily fiber requirements. I know a lot of people see low-carb as a "quick fix" diet, but I've been researching this for about 6 months and personally see it as a viable, natural way to eat that I'd like to adopt as a lifestyle.

If anyone had done any reading past "The Atkins Diet Revolution" on this subject would know that your body does not actually use your muscle mass for energy once you are in ketosis. If you've balanced yourself the right way regarding your macronutrients (yes, I keep track of those!), your body actually starts to utilize the fat (like from your omentum, that dreaded fat-holding organ attached to your stomach that smashes your other organs and therefore makes them less affective).

Lastly, why would you go into a topic that says someone is looking for low-to-no carb friends to preach at that person? That is useless. What I would LIKE to know is why you "went off" keto.

Also, anyone who thinks that keto is "the easy way" is full of it. I really love watching my friends eating burritos, pastries and other things I would be able to have "in moderation" had I not chosen to eat this way. It's really cool to get stared at when I take the burger off the bun. No! Even though I don't crave these foods anymore (really!) I don't like being the odd one out. However, I DO like being able to bike the extra five miles on the stationary with all the energy I have.
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    Wow-I am sorry. You are right I should not have posted, because you are looking for people for support. I in no way intended to offend or make mad. That is never my intention. I want to say-I didn't say that your body will take energy from your muscles, I said it will take it away from the protein you eat. Don't worry I have done my research on the subject too. My older sister is a dietitian, husband is a doc and I am in the fitness industry. However it was not my right to push my opinions on your blog you are right and I am truly sorry.
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options

I did Atkins style induction a few times and was never able to stay on it more than a few weeks. The reason I ended up going off is my brain would get foggy and my thought processes seemed slow. I went from a quick witted bouncing off the walls kind of guy to a slug. I did not like it at all, because I work in a high tech field and have to be able to think quickly and outside the box at times. I found later that carbs feed the brain and by cutting carbs I was also cutting of vital nutrients my brain needs. Since finding MFP I have changed to use complex carbs like brown rice instead of eliminating carbs. I feel much better and I am approaching 2 months eating like this and still feel great while dropping 35 lbs. I am all about balance these days, If low carb works for you, great. I would not eat bad fats like Atkins recommends though.
  • deverez
    deverez Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Keto dieter here!

I tried it once back in high school and lost a lot of weight... but of course, a few years later I gained it back after I started slamming donuts.

I'm now back on it, and the induction this time is the easiest it has ever been!
  • curvykent
    curvykent Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    " Skip the heartache and do it "the hard way". It's much more fulfilling, and you'll be the better for it."

Doing low carb is HARD. There is nothing easy about eating on a low carb or keto diet.

I just recently switched from the low carb to a more balanced eating plan but only because the low carb stopped working for me. And I have to admit it's much easier to eat the way I am eating now than it was to eat on a low carb diet.
  • cacrat
    cacrat Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Cyclycal keto dieter here. Lyle McDonald is known for his keto diets. You could read up on the science through him. But to sum up, like you probably already know, you can still go into ketosis with under 100g carbs. Lyle can fill you in on all the biophysiological reasosn behind that too. But I understand your reasons for going lower, eg 16g. I'd say up your protein tho, ~115g protein seems a bit low.
  • Dattard
    Dattard Posts: 10
    Options
    Hi there,
    I myself am beginning the Keto diet @ Dr.Bernstein clinic next week, and judging by his 'plan' which I downloaded last week its going to be TOUGH.
    The research I've done all week, leads me to beleive this is HARD but not entirely unnatural as a way of life. I am looking forward to the immediate gratification/weight loss and learning to eat in appropirate portion sizes/proteins/sugars/etc.

I've just come off of a 12lb weight loss using Isagenix, and found that very helpful to get me to eat MORE calories, with regularity. Instead of my coffee for break, coffee for lunch and super sized dinner... LMAO

But it did train me to eat several small meals per day and moved me 100% to whole grains, and overall a healthier way of eating. I imagine ths Keto diet will do more of the same.

Can't wait to see how I do with this one...
  • Dattard
    Dattard Posts: 10
    Options
    Well eating healthier and more regularly than I ever did - albeit smaller portions. But lost 4lbs in first 3 days on the Dr.B diet! So can't complain... I feel fine now, although I was tired and had a mild headache day before last (2nd day on program) ...
  • Janet39
    Janet39 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Hiya

I am doing the Dukon Diet, which is high protein, restricted carbs and fat. I think it may be easier to stick to than the Atkins.

Something to look at, if you find the Atkins routine a bit strict. My diary is open if you want a look ( you can eat meat and fish on this diet, but I am Vegetarian, just a heads up for if you look at my diary as there will be no meat about).

Diet layout is as follows

3-10 Attack phase, as little carbs as possible
    ongoing Protein + Protein and Veg days til you get where you are going.

There are maintenance and consolidation phases after the weight loss to ensure you do not rebound.
  • Janet39
    Janet39 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    In addition, just so you know, I am struggling to eat the extra cals, I have not been restricted by my diet plan.
  • larsoncd
    larsoncd Posts: 8
    Options
    You can friend me, I'm following a low-carb Paleo diet. Hopefully for life!