Best sore muscle relief?

Options
I started an interval training for beginners routine. One of the cardio intervals was jumping jacks. Between that and squats (which I do properly, no worries there) the muscles surrounding my knees are seriously killing me. Well, it's more the outside of the knees. It gets better for a little while when I take my bath or shower. Ibuprofen helps but I don't want to take a lot of it if I can help. Nothing is swollen and it doesn't hurt to actually do squats. Just jump and sometimes stairs. I'm wanting to start a couch to 5k but I was trying to let my knees and legs have a rest since they've been so sore. Does anyone have any other relief for soreness? Stretches maybe? I've never stayed sore this long before so it's new to me. Anyway, I thought I'd pick the brains of people who may have been at this longer than me. Thanks for reading.

P.S. Does anyone have any experience with using Tiger Balm?

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    keep moving, active recovery. walking will help, stretch and massage.
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Regular yoga helps me with soreness.
  • JoJo__Fit
    JoJo__Fit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I just take glutamine before during and after my workouts daily and it helps with soreness. I also use the foam roller after my workout
  • 883xlsportster
    883xlsportster Posts: 221 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I've had some issues myself. Right on the front after a workout lasting for a day or two. My case being bad squat form. Maybe something like runners knee?
    Anyhow I found this link a few weeks ago and bought a foam roller. It does help with the pain somewhat.

carrotbowl.com/how-i-cured-my-runners-knee/
  • MGiesta
    MGiesta Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi! I would continue stretching after every workout but I use a gel called arnica and it helps with my soreness from long runs.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/34719031?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222228023668105&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=40753940912&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=64049032135&veh=sem
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Alcis.
  • Amby6912
    Amby6912 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! I'll check out the foam roller. I read that blog and it sounds so similar to me! Which is funny because I have done any running!

Anyway, I did finally manage some relief. Not a ton, but enough that I can run errands without feeling like my legs will give out at the end of the day. I ended up soaking in a very warm, very long bath with Epsom salt. I woke in the morning with no stiffness while walking or going down stairs. If I attempted exercise I was very stiff, though. And by the end of the day I was stiff and sore again. I am gonna locate a foam roller and see if that does me any good.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    MGiesta wrote: »
    Hi! I would continue stretching after every workout but I use a gel called arnica and it helps with my soreness from long runs.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/34719031?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222228023668105&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=40753940912&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=64049032135&veh=sem

Arnica is the best. It works so well on painful bruises as well.
  • e_v_v
    e_v_v Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Foam rollers work wonders! If you don't have one or don't want to purchase one, have a friend or family member use a rolling pin to roll out those sore muscles.

I have had back spasms in the past, so my doctor prescribed me muscle relaxants a few years ago. My back spasms have since passed, but I have quite a few muscle relaxants left. I by no means abuse these pills, but on my extra-sore days, I will take one before bed and feel completely relaxed and DOMS-free the next morning.
  • harrybananas
    harrybananas Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Foam roller was first thing that crossed my mind - use before and after workouts. Yoga stretches would be next. And fish oil helps with inflammation and possibly joints.

Other thing to consider that may be overlooked is your form and mechanics, as well as proper shoes.
  • drevaquera
    drevaquera Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    A hot bath with epsom salts
  • coretemp
    coretemp Posts: 1,796 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    You just started so expect some soreness while your body gradually adapts to the new demands being placed on it. Walking, basic methods of stretching and a good sleep each night will overpower any lingering soreness in the morning rather than feeling defeated by it unless you have an actual injury. You can't beat waking up solid and refreshed with a foam roller etc. although I like using a foam roller too from time to time which is great at smoothing the knots out before or after a run or something.
  • Amby6912
    Options
    coretemp wrote: »
    You just started so expect some soreness while your body gradually adapts to the new demands being placed on it. Walking, basic methods of stretching and a good sleep each night will overpower any lingering soreness in the morning rather than feeling defeated by it unless you have an actual injury. You can't beat waking up solid and refreshed with a foam roller etc. although I like using a foam roller too from time to time which is great at smoothing the knots out before or after a run or something.

I definitely expect to be sore. I've been sore. I was active in high school and the beginning of college but asthma knocked me out of doing much more than walking or swimming. This goes so far beyond the typical soreness of exercising after a long hiatus. It feels more like a deep bruise to the bone/when I tore the ligaments in my ankle.

I bought a foam roller at the running store we have here locally and I did do a low impact workout today and even that had my knees screaming on fire. I had to wait 20-30 minutes before I could use the foam roller. It was painful at first but after a few passes over the sore part of my knee I started feeling like I was massaging out a ton of tension. So hopefully the roller and epsom salt baths will be just what I need. I went ahead and made an appointment with my doc, even though it won't be til the end of the month. If by then it persists I'll keep the appointment. If it goes away I can cancel it. But either way, the foam roller seems like a pretty sound investment. It's like it massages all the spots the hands can't seem to get to deep enough!
  • Amby6912
    Options
    Thanks so, so much to everyone that suggested the foam roller! Absolutely frikken wonderful and worth it! My knees don't hurt at all anymore! I just have a little bit of normal soreness from working out yesterday!
  • time2cutnow
    time2cutnow Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Takes your BCAAs. I have gone a week without it for the first time in over a year due to running out and no time to pick more up and I now realize how much they help heal muscles.
  • finneyjason218
    finneyjason218 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    If you are getting DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) that's great! The absolute best thing for you to do is hit it hard again the next day. and the next day. and the next day. It will feel better everyday, and eventually your body will adapt and you won't feel sore anymore. This is the fastest way through the start up pains. If you wait till your not sore anymore, you will just find yourself in the same place again the next time you work out. By resting you are actually working against yourself, slowing down progress, and making the soreness feel worse. *Note - DOMS is different than pain from injury (and you should be able to tell which is which). If you are injured, you need to heal.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    hot tub and sauna
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    Yoga!!
  • FrankTivoli
    FrankTivoli Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Beta alanine in your pre/ intra workout is the only supplement proven to minimize soreness.
  • Amby6912
    Options
    Beta alanine in your pre/ intra workout is the only supplement proven to minimize soreness.

Thanks for the suggestion but I don't use workout supplements.