How to Get Enough Potassium

Options
Wow. I decided to select calories, carbs, fat, protein, calcium, and potassium for my food diary. I was shocked at how little potassium I'm getting, but I'm not sure how to get more into a normal diet. The day before yesterday I only got 1,187 out of 3,500. So, I still needed 2,313 of whatever measurement they're counting with. The potassium I got was from a side of potato salad, a slice of tomato, an entree of Morning Star Farm- Sesame Chik'n (vegetarian) meal, 2 cups of small green grapes, 1/8 cup of walnuts, and 1/4 cup of cantaloupe. Yesterday, I was so sleep deprived that I slept 22 hours. Crazy, I know. So, naturally, I didn't get any. Today, I have had Morning Star Farms- Sweet n Sour Chik'n (veg) meal and have gotten 350. I plan to eat a mango today since it is wonderfully ripe and I don't want it to get too mellow. I added the mango to see what would happen. I also added a medium banana and a glass of whole milk to see how it would affect potassium. It would still leave me at 1,444 potassium and needing 2,056. I had no idea I was getting so little potassium. How can a person eat a normal diet and get enough?

Replies

• jaybaileys
    jaybaileys Posts: 317
    Options
    Banannas
  • darwintheboxer
    Options
    Two things going on.
    1) Many people do not get recommended potassium, especially on a reduced calorie diet.
    2) Potassium is not required on nutritional labels, so many packaged foods do not list potassium, often because the amount is not large, but it is not insignificant either. So you are probably getting more than you think but still less than the recommended 3500 mg. I would not rely on the mfp database for an accurate potassium count.

Edited to add: Bananas are a source of potassium but there are many better sources. Cantaloupe is one. Fruits and veggies are a good source of most micronutrients.
  • rhiannon1979
    rhiannon1979 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I have wondered the same. I don't like bananas at all, either.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Is there a supplement you can buy? I would maybe look into it... lots of people will tell you that it is better to get it from your "well balanced diet" but Unfortunately If you cant then you aren't getting it.... And well, its better to get it from a supplement than to not get it at all.
  • kmunis
    kmunis Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Bananas are a good choice. I eat one everyday. Kale is also an excellent source of potassium and a lot of other vitamins as well. Some others are spinach, apricots, figs, potatos, tomatos and raisins.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Two things going on.
    1) Many people do not get recommended potassium, especially on a reduced calorie diet.
    2) Potassium is not required on nutritional labels, so many packaged foods do not list potassium, often because the amount is not large, but it is not insignificant either. So you are probably getting more than you think but still less than the recommended 3500 mg. I would not rely on the mfp database for an accurate potassium count.

Edited to add: Bananas are a source of potassium but there are many better sources. Cantaloupe is one. Fruits and veggies are a good source of most micronutrients.

A good place to go for potassium contents in foods is nutritiondata.self.com. It's a huge database and they have detailed nutritional breakdowns further down each food page.
  • jaybaileys
    jaybaileys Posts: 317
    Options
    Just found this tons of ideas at the bottom chart.

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/foodnut/09355.html

Looks like buttermilk, salmon/tuna, dill pickles, or tomatoe juice are highest sodium content.
  • rodegghero
    rodegghero Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Green leafies, beans and legumes...I think limas havea lot
  • TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    there is potassium naturally in unfiltered water & many food labels don't list potassium, so you're likely not getting an accurate approximate. don't worry about it unless you're eating clean & know the exact amounts of potassium/sodium youre getting. they should be about equal to maintain optimal brain, nerve, & muscle function :o) if you are having problems with muscle cramping, you're probably not balanced & need to get a CBC done with the doctor. otherwise, the body is good at maintaining homeostasis, so you're probably just fine on your potassium intake. :o)
  • jillbarnes
    Options
    I try to eat one banana a day and take a potassium supplement (sometimes double throughout the day if I get a good workout in). Even with my supplements, it seems so low. My breakfast today of cheerios, milk, strawberries has almost 500.
  • PhantomMermaid
    PhantomMermaid Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I will check out the websites and see what I can do about increasing my levels. I am a bit paranoid about the potassium because you can get low on it without realizing it before it is at a dangerous point. My aunt ended up in the hospital on two different ocassions for potassium deficiency. I know at least one of those times, she hadn't realized that there was anything seriously wrong with her. Also, I've heard that even diluted potassium i.v.'s are painful. I used to think one banana a day would be enough to take care of it, but from what this counter is telling me, it's not enough. I never realized I needed so much potassium.
  • PhantomMermaid
    PhantomMermaid Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    there is potassium naturally in unfiltered water & many food labels don't list potassium, so you're likely not getting an accurate approximate.

By unfiltered water, you mean unfiltered tap water? What about bottled water? Also are you speaking treated or untreated water?
  • TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    i was referring to tap water. i'd assume all tap water is treated, but i'm not sure & i have no idea about bottled water. i'm in nursing school & we had a class on nutrition. :o)
  • leafprint
    leafprint Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I was having the same concern. Try adding avocado into your diet...has 3x the potassium of a banana! However, I too am STILL too low. Supplements don't provide enough potassium either.
  • drivelerq
    drivelerq Posts: 9
    Options
    I cannot eat raw bananas so I looked it up..... ABC Avacados, Bananas, Cantelope, apricots, Yogurt and raisins. just to name a few. Google "natural sources of Potassium" that's what I did.:bigsmile:
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I put together this list a few years back when I first started obsessing about nutrition... I'm sure there are other databases with varying amounts, but I think you can get a general idea with this list. Also, red meat is loaded with potassium....but stick to lean, un-marinated ones otherwise you'll negate most of the sodium/potassium gains you'll make with it. I'm sure other lean cuts of meat have a lot of potassium as well..

Raisins 1 cup 1089 mg
    Baked potato with skin 1 potato 1081 mg
    Lima beans 1 cup 955 mg
    Tomato products 1 cup 909 mg
    Winter squash 1 cup 896 mg
    Cooked spinach 1 cup 837 mg
    Dried prunes 1 cup 828 mg
    Prune juice 1 cup 707 mg
    Raw bananas 1 cup 594 mg
    Plain yogurt 8 ounces 579 mg
    Cooked beets 1 cup 519 mg
    Cooked Brussels sprouts 1 cup 504 mg
    Orange juice 1 cup 496 mg
    Cantaloupe 1 cup 494 mg
    Honeydew melons 1 cup 461 mg
    Dried apricots 10 halves 407 mg
    Fat free or skim milk 1 cup 407 mg
    Quaker Take Heart Instant Oatmeal 1 packet (45g) 360 mg
    Nectarines 1 nectarine 288 mg
    Dried dates 5 dates 271 mg
    Dried figs 2 figs 271 mg
    Raw kiwi fruit 1 medium 252 mg
    Fresh pears 1 pear 208 mg
    Dry roasted peanuts 1 ounce 187 mg
    Raw avocados 1 ounce 180 mg
  • beckym71
    beckym71 Posts: 3,511
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! I also just started tracking my sodium and potassium and I am barely hitting 500mg of potassium per day. I appreciate the food lists people have provided! :flowerforyou: