Options
2»

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    star1407 wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking the reasons are a clash of your religious beliefs and yoga's spiritual aspect?

Yes after doing research i realized the two would clash which is unfortunate

But you don't have to follow any of yoga's spiritual aspects - both the Daily Yoga app and most classes I've taken are empty of any religious or spiritual elements. It's just exercise.
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I think tai chi clashes with Christianity
  • star1407
    Options
    Am I right in thinking the reasons are a clash of your religious beliefs and yoga's spiritual aspect?

But you don't have to follow any of yoga's spiritual aspects - both the Daily Yoga app and most classes I've taken are empty of any religious or spiritual elements. It's just exercise.

It's forbidden in Christianity, quite a big deal apparently. One of my friends is what I call hard core Christian. I'm a pagan, we have some interesting discussions lol
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options

It's forbidden in Christianity, quite a big deal apparently. One of my friends is what I call hard core Christian. I'm a pagan, we have some interesting discussions lol

I'm sorry, but no. Yoga is not forbidden in Christianity. Yoga is perhaps forbidden by legalists that think they have to check off certain things off of their list in order to follow the "rules", but it is not forbidden.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

Nope. Sorry, it is not - that might be some radical interpretation but no, it isn't forbidden in Christianity.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options

If you're not subscribing to the whole thought process, isn't it just a new way to move your body? You don't have to go to a class and chant or participate in learning about Chakra. If I do a yoga pose in my living room, it's not anything but a stretch right?
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Oh dear I am a heck of a sinner! The things that I learn in MFP!!!
    I never knew that yoga and Christianity are at odds with each other. What exercise has to do with religion?
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

My pastor has never told me that doing yoga is a problem. Now, maybe it's just never come up, but I don't feel a certain kind of way about doing it. I'm not saying that some pastors don't warn against it, but I personally have never felt like yoga was leading me away from Christ. But OP, you know what's best for you. You know your spiritual life. So if you don't want yoga, just try regular stretching or pilates.
  • star1407
    Options
    I shouldn't have said forbidden, strongly encouraged not to would be more accurate. This explains it, like I said I'm not Christian myself, just learned a lot from my devout Christian friend
    https://carm.org/should-christians-practice-yoga
  • EvgeniZyntx
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I shouldn't have said forbidden, strongly encouraged not to would be more accurate. This explains it, like I said I'm not Christian myself, just learned a lot from my devout Christian friend
    https://carm.org/should-christians-practice-yoga

There is nothing wrong with stretching at all. In fact, stretching is a very useful exercise to help people stay healthy. The problem comes when one meditates and focuses on the religious aspects of yoga. One needs to distinguish between purely stretching and yoga. So if one is just purely stretching and is not practicing the philosophical and religious nature of yoga, then feel free to participate.

So according to the site, it is fine under certain conditions.

And a counterpoint: http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2005/mayweb-only/42.0b.html

(anyway, this site is not for religious discussion, so I'll stop here. Not that I don't find the question engaging, just not the place for it.)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    most mainstream yoga classes and videos are pretty secular.

check out leslie fightmaster yoga on youtube. i don't know what's up with her "fightmaster" label, but her youtube videos are pretty great and cover a broad range of yoga techniques. you can play and watch one without participating to see if it really conflicts with your beliefs.
  • rsb1023
    rsb1023 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My sister's baptist church offers yoga classes and I have a Presbyterian minister that attends the yoga class I do so its ok with most Christians
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Consider looking for a yoga teacher that does not promote the religious/spiritual aspect of it. Mine does not.
  • seabeegirl81
    seabeegirl81 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the helpful advice i do appreciate it very much and am grateful. :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    If yoga doesn't fit your beliefs then +1 for Pilates

Good luck finding what works for you!
  • brianeleven
    brianeleven Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Chi Gung