Help! Hungry ALL the time!

Options
Hello, I have been on this app for a month. I have lost 9 pounds so far but I am hungry ALL the time. I need help with what I can eat more of that will fill me up and that is low in calories, I only get 1200 a day. If anyone has some low calorie recipes too, that would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• bigbodybake
    bigbodybake Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    1200 a day is the bare minimum a woman needs to remain healthy and it looks like you're losing the maximum (and slightly more) that is healthy to lose. 1200 calories is uber-low, and unless you're in the 'obese' bmi category, you might need to rethink that.

Two suggestions:
    Look at your macros. Are you getting enough fiber and protein? It's easy to stay under 1200 eating nothing but veggies and fruit, but your body might be screaming for protein and a little fat in your diet.

Use one of the TDEE calculators to figure out exactly how many calories your body needs every day, instead of just going with the minimum 1200 that MFP gives you. It's possible that you're actually harming yourself not eating as much as you should.

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    The most satiating things to consume:
    Water water water
    protein
    fats
    fiber

Increase the above and it should help.

Now, depending on how much you have to lose it may also be easier if you try and cut the weight loss goal to 1 pound per week or a little higher lower. Sometimes it's easier for our sanity to eat at a level where we lose but aren't going crazy.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    How much weight do you want to lose?

You may have chosen an overly aggressive calorie goal. If so, readjust. Also - eat back your exercise calories.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »

You may have chosen an overly aggressive calorie goal. If so, readjust. Also - eat back your exercise calories.

My thoughts exactly.

• FabianRodriguez94
    FabianRodriguez94 Posts: 221 Member
    Options

This. Reevaluate your calorie goal and make sure you are not under eating.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

Yup...eat more. Also - if you exercise, be sure you're eating back at least a portion of those as well.
  • chulipa
    chulipa Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Im on 1200 and i have the opposite problem i struggle to eat all my calories because everything i eat is high protein and fiber wish i could give you some of mine since im just wasting them.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    bump up your cals. 1200 is too severe for most people.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    1200 is intense, but doable. A crustless quiche for under 200 calories, a soup/stew/chili/curry can be around 150-250 cals, then a stir fry or a stuffed veggie option will be around 300 calories. Snacks added in or tweaks will lead you to a very easy and volumetric meal plan.
  • hastymj
    hastymj Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have a similar calorie goal. Three things to suggest:

Olives, any kind. Low cal, "good" fat, lots of flavor.

Salad greens with two heaping tablespoons of blue cheese dressing.

Sparkling water (the no-cal flavored kind, several varieties at Trader Joe's or just about any other grocery). I drink about a liter per day. I love drinking this from a giant wine goblet (instead of wine).

Good luck!
  • cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Veggies and soups. Also, think about playing around with your macros. You may find that a different ratio works better for you than the default given by MFP.

• emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Depending on how much you want to lose, you may not be eating enough.

Plug in your stats and see what it says for you. http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Most new people try to be too aggressive too soon and they don't eat enough. Then they get discouraged because they're hungry all the time, and you don't need to be.
  • MsBuzzkillington
    MsBuzzkillington Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Eat a bit more, play around with it.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I believe that 1200 is too low for most people, especially if you're not eating back exercise cals (are you?). The fact that it's been a month and you're hungry ALL the time might be a sign that you're not eating enough. You don't want to over eat, but you sure don't want to under eat either. My goal is to eat as MANY calories as I can and still lose weight - or more importantly - FAT, and eating at a small calorie deficit is better for long term fat loss and keeping it off.

In my world, 1200 was not sustainable. Don't short change your body by eating too little and then asking it to perform in workouts and every day life. Food is fuel! Make sure you've set reasonable weekly loss goals (1/2 to 1lb a week unless you're morbidly obese), and then make sure you eat your calories! :smile:

Eat your calories, drink water, exercise, take rest days, get good sleep, and have patience. If you want it to stick, you've got to do things that you can stick with long term. Not every day is perfect, but always a learning experience - look over your dairy each week, see where you did well, and where you might have gone over, and ask if the overage was worth it? Sometimes it is!

Good luck!
  • dabb95
    dabb95 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the responses. I think of I had good low calories things to eat the 1200 calories wouldn't be so hard. I really don't buy a lot of "diet" type foods. I just try really hard to portion what I do eat. My measuring cups and spoons are always dirty, lol!
  • dabb95
    dabb95 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I don't really exercise and I don't add my steps that I do at work because I wasn't sure I should even thought it is the most exercise that I do.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    dabb95 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for the responses. I think of I had good low calories things to eat the 1200 calories wouldn't be so hard. I really don't buy a lot of "diet" type foods. I just try really hard to portion what I do eat. My measuring cups and spoons are always dirty, lol!

Generally speaking, this is true. However, when you're just starting out, 1200 and a diet overhaul is asking a lot. Better to set a smaller weekly weight loss goal and make you dietary adjustments gradually. :)
  • sherrifoster123
    sherrifoster123 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I really like the Skinny Taste website for healthy meal ideas. I have found some good recipes there that are filling but lower calorie.