Do you stick to the same go-to meals or variety

Options
2»

Replies

• Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I ate chicken parm 8 days in a row last month for lunch never again!! I typically do three or four days for lunch and dinner

Breakfast is a HUGE sandwich every morning Tuna or Roast beef or Ham or turkey etc to mix it up always warm with a protein shake everyday!!
  • dan_IRL
    dan_IRL Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I find I do much better when I try and stick to a routine. When I have to make decisions, I usually fail so I try and take decision making out of the picture.

I try to eat the same few things for breakfast and lunch most of the time.
  • MimiOfTheFraserValley
    Options
    Breakfast is pretty well always the same, with the occasional change. I'm huge on sandwiches for lunch, although I do love having salads in wraps. Supper's almost always the one meal that changes. From reading this thread, I can see that I'm like most others here. :smile:
  • jasmineruth
    jasmineruth Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I love trying new recipes. Then when I find a good one I throw it in the rotation with the same old same old ones. I usually don't eat the same thing twice in a month with the exception of a couple favourites.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    dan_IRL wrote: »
    I find I do much better when I try and stick to a routine. When I have to make decisions, I usually fail so I try and take decision making out of the picture.

I try to eat the same few things for breakfast and lunch most of the time.

This is a good point, I certainly make better choices when I preplan versus deciding at the cupboard.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I prefer planning pretty much the same few breakfasts because I don't have much time and I don't care. For lunches I grab my homemade pre-cooked and frozen meals so I have variety as well as something that fits in my calorie count. For dinner, I have a plan that I make with my family ahead of time so we can grocery shop and/or use up things we have as well as have everyone happy. I don't usually cook high calorie food so it's pretty balanced.
  • noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I've changed my macros a few times in the last year and tend to stick to the same foods each time. It's just easier to maintain macros when I do that and takes out a lot of the thinking with meal prep.
  • The_Pace
    The_Pace Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    I have "pillars" that make a big portion of the rotation but I also bring in different stuff here and there to mix it up.

Thanks everyone for the responses. I think I am along the lines of Carlos with some regular go to meals but need to add in a little variety.
  • Gianttiger14
    Gianttiger14 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I need to have variety, I get recipes from www.epicure.com and Pinterest.
  • C_Stretton
    C_Stretton Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Lately I've found myself bored with my go-to meals. I decided that this month I was going to try at least three new recipes each week. So far, I've made two new good meals and one that promptly went to the trash. What I've noticed is that I'm incorporating more vegetables into my meals. I hadn't realized how much of my mom's meat and potatoes way of cooking seeped into my own. In other words, variety is good. Except that one day...
  • stmokomoko
    stmokomoko Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Same thing until I'm miserable lol. Crockpot meals will a bajillion servings do this to me.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I plan 28 different dinners every month so for dinner I am eating variety.
    For breakfast I have yogurt, cereal, fruit, a sandwich or leftovers usually.
    For lunch I have a sandwich, salad or leftovers usually.
    For snacks I often have popcorn, fruit, carrots, cheese, trail mix or a granola bar.
    So some variety but some go to foods.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is the same every week day. Lunches for work are always leftover dinner. But my days off and my dinner is where I get to explore and create. I might eat the same things for a week but pretty much every week changes and also the different seasons change what I eat. I try to eat things that are in season as well as a wide variety of grains. Last night I used Quinoa in a meal for the first time.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    M-Th I have a pretty simple rotation. Some crockpot recipes, some protein rich salads, some pastas/risottos and tacos/enchiladas. A little carry out in a pinch. Friday I buy fresh fish, so lots of variety there. On Saturdays we grill a red meat and on Sunday I make a chicken supper. Those are the nights when I might try something new. I used to cook a lot but now that I work out more I don't spend as much time in the kitchen. Amen!
    I like the app 'Paprika' for storing recipes & making shopping lists. It's always with me so I can shop any time.
    We've always eaten a lot of veg. Now I'm more conscious of protein & fiber. And I do less cooking with creams & butters. Still love that kind of stuff but it's just an occasional treat.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I would venture a guess that most people that stick to it are fine with eating the same everyday. It's people that have to have lots of variety that have the most trouble with watching calories. I'm not saying it's not possible to do, but I'm saying that it's really easy when you eat the same thing day after day. It gets routine to where you can not log for weeks and know it's fine. It's just a trend that I have observed with various people IRL and online. People that are picky with taste, and need sauces and lots of flavor usually fall off the wagon a lot because that's the stuff that makes it difficult to stay on track. I can eat plain baked chicken every day of my life. It doesn't bother me at all.

I don't know about picky eaters. I eat a large variety because I'm not a picky eater. Seems like the picky eaters would be the ones that eat the same foods over and over. When you love all the foods variety is much easier.

But the first part of the post does not ring true for me at all. I do have a problem with measuring everything I cook/eat but I've never had a problem controlling my weight when I tried.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I vary week to week. I usually try to switch it up daily - but stick with the same variations (eggs with avocado and tomatoes, tuna and celery, etc.)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    toe1226 wrote: »
    I cycle. I have the same thing for breakfast every day for a week, then move on to the next thing every day for a week. I try to have similar calorie and protein goals for breakfast. Its kind of the same thing for all my meals- I eat one thing for like, a week, then I mix it up, cycle through. A lot of it for me comes down to affordability/efficiency/reducing food waste.

This is what I do too, for the same reasons. I eat some every day until the item is gone, then I start something else, but in the same category, whether it's sandwich spread, raw vegetables, fruit. A well stocked pantry allows for a steady intake of crispbread, porridge and nuts, and pasta, rice and grains for dinner. Sometimes I'll add cheese or yogurt to my evening meal, sometimes have a smoothie, sometimes I'll have a salad for lunch, but mostly the same kinds of things.
    scolaris wrote: »
    M-Th I have a pretty simple rotation. Some crockpot recipes, some protein rich salads, some pastas/risottos and tacos/enchiladas. A little carry out in a pinch. Friday I buy fresh fish, so lots of variety there. On Saturdays we grill a red meat and on Sunday I make a chicken supper. Those are the nights when I might try something new. I used to cook a lot but now that I work out more I don't spend as much time in the kitchen. Amen!
    I like the app 'Paprika' for storing recipes & making shopping lists. It's always with me so I can shop any time.
    We've always eaten a lot of veg. Now I'm more conscious of protein & fiber. And I do less cooking with creams & butters. Still love that kind of stuff but it's just an occasional treat.

A bit similar here. I have a "base" of dinners, each assigned to their own day of the week (Tuesday pork/chicken, Thursday salmon/herring, Saturday toast/pancakes, Sunday beef/lamb), which I cycle through every 2/3/4 weeks, plus a list of 12 favorite soups and casseroles for Mondays with leftovers on Wednesdays, making a 12 weeks rotation plan, with a slot for whims on Fridays. If anything stranger than usual happens, I just switch around meals, but there's a point of no return the night before whenever I need to defrost or soak something, and that involves most dinners.