Rice or Mashed Potatoes??

Options
If you had to choose one which would it be? Which one is better for you (ie. lower cal, fat, carb)
I have 5 children in the house and a husband who is a meat and potatoes (and rice) person.. They all have to have some sort of bread with a meal which i can do without the bread but i do have a hard time with letting the potatoes and rice go.. any suggestions???

Replies

• DawnReid04
    DawnReid04 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Ok great. Is high carb a good thing? I see everyone post so many different things about low calorie diets, low carb diets, low fat diets. Im so confused
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Weight loss comes down to calorie deficit, i.e. eating less calories than you burn.

Low carb and low fat are just preferences to achieve that deficit (unless you have a medical condition).

• DawnReid04
    Options
    Ok, that makes sense. Thanks!!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Both are perfectly fine, just count the calories and eat them ideally as part of a balanced meal with some protein (seems like there won't be a problem) and vegetables. I eat potatoes a lot more often, but only because I like them better. The skin has lots of nutrients, so you might want to add in some recipes where it's included if it's not in the mashed, but of course that's not necessary for weight loss. If you add milk and butter be sure to count those calories too.

Carb % is just personal preference.
  • DawnReid04
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Both are perfectly fine, just count the calories and eat them ideally as part of a balanced meal with some protein (seems like there won't be a problem) and vegetables. I eat potatoes a lot more often, but only because I like them better. The skin has lots of nutrients, so you might want to add in some recipes where it's included if it's not in the mashed, but of course that's not necessary for weight loss. If you add milk and butter be sure to count those calories too.

Carb % is just personal preference.

Great Thanks!! We typically eat more potatoes as well but use a fair share of rice. Is brown rice and wild rice a better option? I use that a good bit also
  • DawnReid04
    Options
    @PlantBasedKnight thank you for that information. I have a long way to go but am trying to learn all I can so I can do everything the right way. Thanks again :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Bread, rice, and potatoes. And pasta. If I were to try and follow a diet where I would have to give up two of the three I would lay down and weep.

I suggest you portion out a half-cup of the carb of your choice at each meal. Just pick one. Mix and match throughout the week so you and your family can continue to enjoy a variety of foods.
  • DawnReid04
    Options
    I didnt realize there was so many varieties to this stuff lol but i typically use the one to the left when i use brown rice.. Thank you so much for taking time to answer my questions it really means alot.. @PlantBasedKnight
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Don't forget golden rice, @PlantBasedKnight . There's golden Yukon potatoes too. My last (happy) purchase of rice is a brown Basmati rice.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    @PlantBasedKnight that middle rice looks like a parboiled rice. It has more nutrition in it than white rice.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Eat them all on different days or in different meals! Just log your calorie count and keep a tab on your satiety.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Wild rice is not a rice but a grass seed. It has a nice nutrition profile. Because of it's expense, I often add a tablespoon to my regular rice so I get the benefits of both.

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Forbidden rice is my absolute favorite, but I rarely buy it because it's not as cheap as jasmine or basmati.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    @elphie754 you forgot to mention low protein too. Low every thing helps to lose weight fast. and health too.

@DawnReid04 High carb is humans natural food as long as those carbs are WHOLE PLANTS. like boiled or steamed potato, steamed rice, legumes, squashes. etc.

She didn't ask about protein, hence why it wasn't included.
  • veggiecanner
    veggiecanner Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    the potatoes are better for you
  • DawnReid04
    Options
    @jgnatca parboiled rice is the main rice i use.. My mother in law got me hooked on it because it doesnt get sticky when you cook it lol..

Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond. It is very much appreciated!!!