Been doing home work outs and possible injury?

Options
Hi all, i've been doing 30DS and today would be my 3rd day of it, however yesterday (day 2) i found my knees were so painful, i did the 30ds workout anyway but today my knees are agony...........standing up, going up stairs etc kills! I'm not sure if its just muscles i don't use much aching or whether i may have actually done a minor injury......i want to do day 3 but not if its the possibility of permenant injury.....any advice???????????

Replies

• megrrt
    megrrt Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Today is day 7 for me and Yesterday I had my left knee do something funny that now it feels like someone is pushing on it..and my right knees sounds like crunching. My right knee always did that but not my left. I was thinking about not doing it today and iceing it....I dont have great advice for you but take it easy.
    You do not want to hurt yourself for good.
    I am thinking about just doing weights today and starting back tomorrow...maybe have a rest day each week and not go the full 30 days in a row.
    Good luck.
  • Shanzstar
    Shanzstar Posts: 197
    Options
    well i'm no expert but I would say something is going on with your knees. I would lay off of doing it everyday and ice them. I got shin splints from doing 30ds everyday. I now rotate my routine. I think whoever said to do 30ds everyday gave some bad advice. I'm not even new to exercise! But I do know you have to give your muscles a break and a time to rest. Its not good to keep working the same ones over and over. hope you feel better soon.
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Poke around on theshredheads.com for their 30DS Adaptation for Knee Problems or something. If it hurts in a bad way, don't do it!
    -LP
  • shonasteele
    shonasteele Posts: 473
    Options
    bump - my knees have been bugging me too lately
  • twitbffl
    twitbffl Posts: 24
    Options
    Never ignore pain. It's your body's way of telling you there is something wrong. You should ice and elevate your knee(s) and see if that helps the pain. I would not recommend doing the workout until you heal. If the ice and elevation aren't working, you definitely need to see the doctor. I had knee surgery a couple years ago after tearing my meniscus. I thought the pain was just muscular at first, too. Listen to your body! Good luck!
  • miaka51
    miaka51 Posts: 10
    Options
    The best rule of thumb is listen to your body. If it hurts, don't do it. You are doing this to get healthy but it is not worth it at the expense of your body! You know the difference between a good hurt and a bad hurt, and what you are describing is definitely skewing toward that bad hurt. See how you are doing in a day or two and take it from there. There is no need to use your knees or your legs in every workout, so switch it up and try something for the upper body only. I know it breaks your routine, but it doesn't mean you have to do nothing. If your knees continue to be an issue in your workouts, try a low impact workout to start, such as pool workouts or using resistance bands instead of body weight + gravity. And as always, consult your doctor if you are having concerns. He or she will know you best and will be able to tell you how to safely exercise for your body type. Good luck!
  • miaka51
    miaka51 Posts: 10
    Options
    Also, ice is a good idea for inflammation if you are having issues with swelling and sharp pains, but be careful not to over ice or you can cause more harm than good. A rule of thumb is no more than 10-15 minutes per hour. If you take a shower and your knees feel worse afterward, ice is the way to go, but if they actually feel better, stay away from it. The heat of your shower will be a good indicator if it is a muscular issue or a joint problem. If the shower helps, try a heating pad on your upper leg, just above the knee. Don't put it directly on the joint - there are no muscles to relax there! Also, feel free to take an anti inflammatory (like ibuprofen) with the ice treatment to reduce any swelling that may occur. Otherwise, a pain reliever will do the best job. I am a trained massage therapist and I did a lot of work with athletes, so I am not just talking out of my bum! Be careful and see your doctor if it doesn't improve in a few days. Good luck!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Never ignore pain. It's your body's way of telling you there is something wrong. You should ice and elevate your knee(s) and see if that helps the pain. I would not recommend doing the workout until you heal. If the ice and elevation aren't working, you definitely need to see the doctor. I had knee surgery a couple years ago after tearing my meniscus. I thought the pain was just muscular at first, too. Listen to your body! Good luck!

^
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    My daughter is going thru the same thing. She saw the doctor and possibly has torn her LCL. She is in PT 2x/wk now for it. She continues to do the 30DS (with the therapist's reluctant permission), but is avoiding any of the painful jump moves and replacing them with non-painful alternatives.

Take care of yourself. Take your time. You'll still get there!