My First Cauliflower Mash (serves 2)

Options
McKayMachina
McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
If you're like me, you've thought about it but have yet to make a cauliflower mash. I just did and it was pretty awesome.

There is only one mandatory ingredient: 1/2 head of cauliflower (about 500g), roughly cubed

Boil the cauliflower for 5-10 minutes. You can add salt to the water while cooking, if you'd like. Drain well. Mash or puree. I used the bottom of a mug to do a rough mash. Add whatever sounds good and eat.

I added (per serving) 2 oz. reduced fat cheddar (way too much cheese - noted for next time), 1/2 oz. crushed fire-roasted almonds, 1 tsp. minced garlic and a dash of smoked paprika. Total was 295 calories.

I'll be subbing the cheddar for parmesan next time.

I really liked it, so did my Mom and it was freakishly easy.

:heart: Half a head of cauliflower on its own is only 125 calories.

Replies

• astovey
    astovey Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • ANeWcRe8N
    ANeWcRe8N Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    I've actually just bought some cauliflower to make instead of mash potatoes.. hope it comes out wonderful since this will be the first time for me. Plan to make loaded mash cauliflower mmm :)
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I've made it many times, each time thinking that this time it won't taste absolutely gross, but it does, every time!!! Nasty stuff. Just my taste bud's opinion.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    I've made it many times, each time thinking that this time it won't taste absolutely gross, but it does, every time!!! Nasty stuff. Just my taste bud's opinion.

Yeah you have to like cauliflower on its own, for sure. :)

I happen to love the stuff!
  • marrtini
    marrtini Posts: 75
    Options
    Sounds great .. I am going to have to give it a try.
    Thanks for the idea and the general recipe!
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I make it with chicken broth... and salt and pepper. Sometimes I add parm to it, or roasted garlic, if we have any leftover from anther recipe.
    At first, I had to do half potatoes and half cauliflower to get used to the taste. Then 3/4 cauli, 1/4 potatoes, and finally full cauliflower mash. Yum!
  • chris6515
    chris6515 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I roast my cauliflower with cloves of garlic and a light olive oil drizzle, then puree and add Greek yogurt and a touch of melted butter and Parmesan cheese to taste. It is to die for yummy if you crave mashed potatoes.
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Just a question here. What is your goal in eating mashed cauliflower over mashed potatoes? A 2/3 cup serving of mashed cauliflower is 50 calories and 2/3 cup of mashed potatoes (just potatoes, not as prepared) is 90 calories. Is it the flavor you're after or the 40 fewer calories. I would always have to add butter, milk or even yogurt to make it somewhat palatable which kind of defeats the purpose I would think. Just wondering. I still haven't seen anything to make me think this next time they will taste better. I will accept a challenge though.
  • emilyc92
    emilyc92 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I made something like this last night and it turned out so good! I didn't use any cheese though, and i boiled a handful of carrots and mashed those into the cauliflower too. I thought the carrots were a great addition, it gave it a pretty nice flavor! I also put some garlic and rosemary in it for flavor.
  • heatherisms
    Options
    sounds delish!!! I'll have to try it
  • Tuffjourney
    Tuffjourney Posts: 971
    Options
    Just made a cauilfower mash, added 2 tbl fat free mayo and curry powder a little S & P and two crumbled up turkey bacon. I know a mish mash for sure. But OMG, it was soooooo good. I ate too much. But, that was all I had for dinner. I so would do it again.
  • rebelontherun
    rebelontherun Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Angellore
    Angellore Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Just a question here. What is your goal in eating mashed cauliflower over mashed potatoes? A 2/3 cup serving of mashed cauliflower is 50 calories and 2/3 cup of mashed potatoes (just potatoes, not as prepared) is 90 calories. Is it the flavor you're after or the 40 fewer calories. I would always have to add butter, milk or even yogurt to make it somewhat palatable which kind of defeats the purpose I would think. Just wondering. I still haven't seen anything to make me think this next time they will taste better. I will accept a challenge though.

I must admit, I think the same! Is Cauli a lot lower in Carbs maybe, if you're cutting back on them? (I'm not specifically, just trying to up my protein a little). I like Cauli as a side with my roast dinner, but I love my spuds!
  • Tuffjourney
    Tuffjourney Posts: 971
    Options
    I eat cauliflower versus potatoe only because I actually like it better. But I agree, potatoe is doable if done right.
  • NewVonnie
    NewVonnie Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I roast my cauliflower with cloves of garlic and a light olive oil drizzle, then puree and add Greek yogurt and a touch of melted butter and Parmesan cheese to taste. It is to die for yummy if you crave mashed potatoes.

That sounds awesome. I love roasting my veggies anyway so this sounds perfect. Thanks!!!!