Whole foods and trader joes!

Options
I'm going to those stores for the first time this Saturday!
What should I buy?
What should I try?
What should I expect?!?!?

I'm a small town country girl that recently moved to a big city, I need suggestions!
Please and thank you!

Replies

• HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Whole Foods, went to one the first time last weekend, and to me, it is just hype. The meat/fish was a good selection, but the one I went to was mainly hot foods, nothing I really wanted, but some was interesting to me, it was fun to visit. I personally like Sprouts better for anything special I need and HEB really is my favorite store to shop at. Trader Joe's isn't bad, again, special things I get there, like their soy ice cream. I can't eat dairy products and that is the only reason I shop at those types of places, is for non-dairy things. Oh I do like to buy TJ's butter over HEBs too, seems the dairy based cookies I make turn out better, if that counts ^_^
    You can use the search function in the forums to find other forums on both stores. Sorry for not being a bigger help.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    I go for the green tea selection. They also sell TVP, textured vegetable protein, which I add to my veggie burgers.
  • spidergirll
    spidergirll Posts: 3 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I've recently started doing my grocery shopping at Trader Joe's. I've learned to slow down and look around as there are so many hidden cool items. Keep an eye on the Nutrition labels - I'm often surprised at how either super healthy or super splurgy each item is. Here's some of my favorite finds so far:
    • Frozen Alaskan Cod Fish ($5-6 for 2 fillets / easy lean dinner item since practically no fat, cooks in under 10min.)
    • - Stuffed Red Bell Pepper with Seasoned Turkey & Rice (in the area with prepped wraps/salads/meals. Super yummy)
    • Heat & Serve Chicken Wrap with pesto vinaigrette
    • Trader Joe's brand of Fat Free balsamic vinaigrette salad dressing is the best I've ever tasted. I always swap that into any salad i buy to easily cut calories and fat, but still tastes fantastic.
    • *any* of their prepped salads in the clear plastic square containers are delishious. I'll usually split 1 salad into 2 meals by just adding a protein. I just tried a new one called "Roasted butternut squash, Red Quinoa, Wheatberry Salad" so good!
    • A staple when going to hang with friends and I want to bring something: Olive Tapenade Spread (short little jar, gold-ish lid) + Pita Bite Crackers + goat cheese log covered in blueberry or cranberry. Not for the "eating lean" days hahaha but they're mega favorites... had to share :)
    • buy yourself some flowers each time - you're worth it and it'll make you smile!
  • alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Halo top ice cream at whole foods!!!!!
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    If you like chick peas, buy them from Trader Joe's. They are the best on the market @$0.99 per tin, organic and less salt then Goya, taste better too.

I like Whole Foods and buy my cereal, cashew and sunflower seed butter when they are on sale (not a peanut butter person - too heavy on my stomach). I buy organic chicken from Whole Foods, yes it is expensive, my SO works hard and the chicken does taste a lot better than the processed kind sold in supermarkets.

I love WFs bread especially their prairie bread, one of my weakness. I buy 100% cranberry juice and 100% tart cherry juice from Trader Joe's (its too expensive in WFs). Love the Horizon selection in WFs.

I would take a good look around at both stores and mix and match. Love WFs apples, especially the Fuji ones, very crispy and sweet - good selection too.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    My partner and I like to buy our steaks and lamb from whole foods, always amazing quality. Other than that I do not shop there for price alone. Trader Joe's has GREAT finds, good prices on most items, and an overall more "approachable" atmosphere. I don't have sticker shock every time I turn around!

But due to variations, I never do count in finding any item in particular. I just shop there when I feel adventurous. I like their selection of frozen Indian style meals- my other grocers don't carry frozen curries or tandoori chicken but I always find awesome options and new things to try at TJs
  • squatdeadrun
    squatdeadrun Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I like the meat/fish selection at Whole Foods, and their BULK section! You can grind your own nut butters, or get just a scoop full of nuts, dried beans, rice etc instead of buying a big bag or container. They have bulk spices too in case you only need a bit of something for a recipe.

Trader joes has some great produce for cheap, I like the bagged chopped kale.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    From Trader Joe's:

Jar of Pesto quinoa
    Coconut cranberry granola
    Speciloos cookie butter
    Coconut Greek yogurt
    Cookie butter cookies
    Honeybush rooibos tea
    Matcha latte mix
    Banana chips
    Vitamins (cheap)
    Cat cookies (they come in a 1 lb tub)
    Cereal bars
    Any kind of cheese, but eat it fast their cheeses go mouldy very quickly.

From Whole Foods:

The price so unjustifiable that when I do go I stick to the bulk section and some flyer items.
  • carrey224
    carrey224 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    From TJ
    Pink Himalayan salt
    Organic pasta sauce
    Organic pasta
    Organic roasted red pepper & tomato soup
    Organic stocks/broth
    Organic blueberries & raspberries (freezer)
    Dark chocolate covered bananas (freezer)
    Japanese fried rice with edamame (freezer)
    Dark chocolate bars. The firecracker one with pop rocks in it is fun to eat.
    Peppermints in the blue tin usually by the register
    Sriracha BBQ sauce
    Dijon mustard
    All of those are very reasonable $$ wise.
    Sesame coated cashews.
    Butter & more!

Take your time and look around & have fun!

Whole foods is expensive but you can still get some good buys sometimes. I like to buy my chapsticks from there. The pomegranate one and the coconut one.

• mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I do a good portion of my grocery shopping at TJs, but a lot of what I get there regularly is produce that I could get anywhere. Things that I specifically get there:
    - because it's cheaper here: plain greek yogurt, fresh pineapple, shredded coconut
    - pesto stuffed tortellini
    - cookies and creme cookie butter
    - peanut butter filled pretzels
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Whole foods I like the bulk bins and a few other things here and there depending on what sounds good. They have a lot of tea. Puffed kamut cereal @ 50 calories a serving that I add to higher calorie sugary cereal for bulk. Different veggies and fruit that I don't see in other stores. I like to eat from their salad/hot bar but that adds up $ fast so not every trip lol.

Trader joes I buy tons. Frozen fish, frozen fruits and veg very cheap, soy chorizo is amazing, cheeses, cheap produce, mango black tea bags, chicken sausages and sometimes other meats, lots of nuts and dried fruits, spicy thai chicken pasta salad is incredible (2 servings per container so lot of calories), lots of sauces....take your time and really look at stuff. And coffee beans.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    What I love at Whole Foods is their bakery section, but it depends on the store... the one I used to go before this one sucked. The rest is pretty much overpriced, although they do sometimes have decent sales on yogurt.

I love Trader Joe's but it's really hit and miss and they are often out of some things.
  • echmain
    echmain Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Skip both these stores and visit your local grocer.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    i mainly get my dairy and meat at whole foods. Seriously the best quality from local farms. most of our produce at whole foods is from local farms as well. I am about that.
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    echmain wrote: »

What if they *are* my local grocer?
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options

What if they *are* my local grocer?

ditto.. here in san diego they are the preferred stores. In fact regular grocery stores are all closing down around me.
  • C_Stretton
    C_Stretton Posts: 201 Member
    Options

Trader Joe's is actually cheaper than my local grocer. My weekly food bill for the family went from $150/week to $65/week. And the chicken is a better quality.

OP, like everyone else said, take your time and look around. There are a lot of great finds at TJs. I don't know about Whole Foods, as the closest one to my house has little to no parking and is not close enough to walk to.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Meh...I do most of my shopping at Costco. What I don't get there I get at the Sprouts around the corner for a fraction of the cost of Whole Foods...IMO, that's about the biggest rip off grocery store I've ever been to.

I've found Trader Joe's to have some pretty good bargains, but the nearest one to me is 20 minutes across town and there's generally nothing there that I can't get for the same price at Sprouts or Albertsons.
  • CajunTess
    CajunTess Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I am also from the Houston area, and have both of these stores nearby. I have shopped both, and there are a couple of specialty items worth going for now and then (great dried fruit, kettle corn), but for everyday shopping, you can't beat HEB. In fact, when TJ's moved into the Houston area, HEB has duplicated many of their best sellers, and price is similar. I skip Whole Foods altogether, except for their health/wellness section for natural health/beauty items - too expensive. Check them out for yourself, and you decide. Everyone's tastes and needs are different.
  • KwaziiNeko
    KwaziiNeko Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I am also from the Houston area, and have both of these stores nearby. I have shopped both, and there are a couple of specialty items worth going for now and then (great dried fruit, kettle corn), but for everyday shopping, you can't beat HEB. In fact, when TJ's moved into the Houston area, HEB has duplicated many of their best sellers, and price is similar. I skip Whole Foods altogether, except for their health/wellness section for natural health/beauty items - too expensive. Check them out for yourself, and you decide. Everyone's tastes and needs are different.
    Oh awesome!
    I'm from Bryan/college station and I usually shop at wal mart and HEB.
    I haven't went to the HEB here yet but I've heard the on off of Buffalo speedway is really nice!
    I'm going to check that one out in Sunday.
    I've always heard about whole foods and trader joes online and my ex mother in law is crazy about whole foods in Austin.