Pre-diabetic

Options
I'm using this app to track my eating, but need more ideas for pre-diabetic meal planning. Anyone have sites/ideas for me? Thanks!

Replies

• WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Try www.eatthismuch.com, which generates automatic recipes for any daily calorie limit. But if you're borderline diabetic, bear in mind that most doctors will tell you the important thing is to reduce your weight. Don't worry so much about exactly what you're eating right now, just eat less of it. After you lose 20-30 lbs. go back and have your blood tested again, and see if it's not better! Then keep going until you've lost as much as you need to.--As for how to control portions, create a calorie deficit, and so on, there's a ton of information on this site. Check out the "stickies" in the forums, read some comments here, and send friend requests to some people who've been here a while. I'm fairly new, only two months, but this is working for me, so feel free to send me a friend request if you're interested.
  • Myracoe
    Myracoe Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    On the same track as you! Wendy seems right, eat less. Don't know how, but looking up weights and watching calories remaining for the day, on this site is certainly making me realise what I've been doing. Still can't work all this stuff, but got to find a way of jettisoning this fat, as otherwise will be in trouble. There appear not to be any books like you want. I've looked for something easy to follow. I suppose because everybody is different. Doesn't help really does it?!
    I'm going to see a dietiiician sometime soon, hopefully to get a structure to each day. You know, how many grams of carbs or protein to aim for. I have also put away large plates so's I can get a "different" view of what a portion should look like. Not sure I want to know!
    Anyway, maybe it helps hearing someone else trying to understand the mess she's made! Take care.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    Weight loss and exercise can have a big effect in reducing insulin resistance.
    I found this book (The Prediabetes Diet Plan, by Hillary Wright, M.Ed., RD) somewhat helpful in thinking about meal planning, but honestly I didn't really follow it that closely; I focused on weight loss and exercise and at my next doctor's appointment I had a normal A1C result (tests for a marker that indicates your average blood glucose level over several months).
    Best of luck, and congratulations for taking charge of your health and not waiting for full-blown diabetes to develop!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    The book I found helpful was Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solutions. It completely turned my life and health in the right direction.

Good luck.
  • Angel0298
    Angel0298 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Go to diabetic.org for information
  • jtyogabba
    jtyogabba Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm pre Diabetic.
  • chromilo
    chromilo Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    whattadame wrote: »
    I'm using this app to track my eating, but need more ideas for pre-diabetic meal planning. Anyone have sites/ideas for me? Thanks!

I'll be attending a 2hr pre-diabetic class offered by Fraser Health in Feb after I convinced my doctor to refer me to a nutritionist or dietician. I'll find out how useful this class is with meal planning.
  • iafunegurl
    iafunegurl Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    3 months ago I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic. a week ago i was diagnosed as diabetic. I started tracking my food, that day. making changes, has brought my blood sugar down & i have lost 9 lbs. i am meeting with a dietician on thursday because I am already tired of eating this way. maybe she can shed some light on recipes, etc. good luck & keep tracking. that's what is really eye-opening to me. keeps me on my toes.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    I used to be pre-diabetic. I changed my way of eating at the beginning of September 2014 (I follow a low carb lifestyle now). I am no longer pre-diabetic.
  • pickadilly2009
    pickadilly2009 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am pre-diabetic also and determined that this is where it stops. My family history for this is pretty bad but I will prevail.

I wanted to share this because it has helped me so much. emeals.com It has a diabetic meal plan option. It give you the recipes, the shopping list and it is just a no brain power meal plan. It does cost, but not much and you can try it for two weeks for free. The recipes has been amazing. The entire family loves it!

Do you all mind if I send you friend requests? I need some pre-diabetic buddies!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I found the plate illustration to be most helpful.

http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/planning-meals/create-your-plate/

This way I could visualise every plate to see if it was portioned correctly. My diabetes is in remission by the way, from significant weight loss.
  • edival
    edival Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    For a diabetic or pre-diabetic, I HIGHLY recommend looking into the ketogenic diet. By eating low-glycemic foods you won't spike your blood sugar and after a short period of time your resting BS will be in the normal (non-diabetic) range.
    I know quite a few diabetics (type 2) who have actually reversed their diabetes completely with this way of eating.

If you're wondering what Keto is, it's Low carb high fat... essentially under 30g net carbs per day and about 75% fats (not trans-fats).

It's delicious and it works extremely well.
  • supertigress007
    supertigress007 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    In general you want protein based snacks and avoid simple carbs (eg baked goods,juices, etc). I don't know where you're from but perhaps your doctor can refer you to a dietitian and it would be covered? The benefit of seeing a dietitian is that they'll be able to teach, answer your questions and help you meal plan based on your likes and give you suggestions for alternatives for things you like but aren't the best for you. Also, exercise can play a vital role in stabilizing blood sugars.
  • cmwolfe112
    cmwolfe112 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm a type one diabetic which is different because it's more genetic than diet based but regardless, I struggle with high blood sugar a good amount of the time. Stay away from anything with white flour. It hits your blood stream faster than whole wheat or whole grain. While whole wheat bread products have a higher carbohydrate count, it does not turn to sugar so rapidly. Hope this helps and good luck!
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    edival wrote: »
    For a diabetic or pre-diabetic, I HIGHLY recommend looking into the ketogenic diet. By eating low-glycemic foods you won't spike your blood sugar and after a short period of time your resting BS will be in the normal (non-diabetic) range.
    I know quite a few diabetics (type 2) who have actually reversed their diabetes completely with this way of eating.

If you're wondering what Keto is, it's Low carb high fat... essentially under 30g net carbs per day and about 75% fats (not trans-fats).

It's delicious and it works extremely well.

Ditto. Except I'm not convinced yet about delicious.

But it does work exceedingly well to control blood glucose. Mine has been in the normal range since 3 days after diagnosis with diabetes in early October all but 3% of the close to 400 times I've tested. (It might have been in the normal range even earlier, but I didn't get brave enough to test before then.)

As long as I eat fewer than 20 net carbs in a 3 hour period, my blood glucose rarely goes above 140 (when it does it is part of the 3% of the time it is over). Most mornings are below 100 (not all, unfortunately, thanks to a healthy dose of dawn phenomenon).