Stair Climbs

A few fire department members participate in at least one stair climb yearly. I had in the past, but, when you think you're gonna die before you get to the top, you shy away from them! They practice a good number of times a month, and I am going to get back into doing them, the question I have is....Stair Climb isn't an option in the exercise menu...how do you figure out the calories burned for an exercise that's not listed, I know it's a huge number burned, but no way to know for sure! Thanks!

Replies

• sweetmanjd
    sweetmanjd Posts: 94 Member
    I love doing stairs! It's a weird thing:) There are options under Cardio for "walking up stairs", "running/jogging up stairs", and "stairclimber" (like the gym equipment). I pick whichever one best matches the effort I put into my stairs that day.
    Try adding a rear leg lift/glute squeeze on some of your sets...just a nice little extra burn to mix things up:)
  • 67chevelleSS
    67chevelleSS Posts: 50 Member
    Thanks, we/they climb with full gear and air packs with the tanks full of water. So I hope to get plenty of burn out of that!
  • sweetmanjd
    sweetmanjd Posts: 94 Member
    Holy cow!!!! Forget my little leg lift:) That's awesome! Not sure anything in MFP database matches that workout!
  • 67chevelleSS
    67chevelleSS Posts: 50 Member
    Guess it really doesn't matter if I log it or not, as long as I'm burning the calories, huh?
  • wilsonksam
    wilsonksam Posts: 3 Member
    edited July 2017
    I've been stair climbing for a month YASSS!!! All the feels when I look in the mirror! Google the 30 day stair climbing challenge and look at the images. Look for the one that changes week to week. It gives you a full week each week on one target goal before you move to the next. Then a semi big increase until until you get to over 100 floors! I track it with my fit bit blaze. It connects to myfitnesspal and adds more calories.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,996 Member
    edited July 2017
    Thanks, we/they climb with full gear and air packs with the tanks full of water. So I hope to get plenty of burn out of that!

What's that add up to - - 100# of gear?

Killer! Put any cal burn number on it that you like and it would probably still be too low.

Seriously though, just found this backpacking calculator that might help you put a spe ific number on it:

http://hikingscience.blogspot.com/p/calculate-calories-burned_22.html?m=1
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    This is a necro thread back to life but I participate in one of those stair climb challenges - the firemen do it a week or so before with all their gear and then us regular folks do it either timed or untimed. I did timed this year. Awesome challenge but killer - I couldn't imagine doing it with grear - and they wear oxygen so they can't take those good deep breaths. They are amazing.
  • burnthefatnicole
    burnthefatnicole Posts: 8 Member
    I have been doing the Stair Master at the gym for a month now. It is a rotating staircase, kinda like a escalator. I started doing that as my cardio at the gym because running was hurting my knees. I find it is more difficult than running and according to the machine I am burning more calories than on the treadmill. I also hope that I am building muscle at that same time. Overall in 30 minutes at level 5 I can burn 270 calories. My goal is to get up to level 12, but the faster you go the more difficult of course.