Yoga for Beginners

Options
Hey there. I've been wanting to incorporate some yoga into my daily schedule but I'm at a loss of what would be best for beginners. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• SmashleyJo
    Options
    If you want to do in-home Yoga, I would suggest the Gaiam A.M. Yoga. That is what I started out with, and I really love it.
  • AngelicaDulas
    Options
    I'm somewhat new to yoga also, (ten years ago I used to do it and pilates) but my sister in law gave me the Jillian Michael's Yoga Meltdown for my birthday recently. Yesterday was the first time doing it. It felt good but I couldn't do all the reps of everything just because I'm out of shape. But It really works the ENTIRE body!! I'm feeling it this morning for sure. :)
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Hatha Yoga if you just want it for the stretch as opposed to the high calorie burn

Sara Ivanhoe - Basic Yoga Workout For Dummies

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMjcyNDc3MTI0.html
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    The first yoga DVD I ever did was Prevention's Better Belly Yoga. It's not too challenging; I actually liked it. Then I got Biggest Loser Weight Loss Yoga. It's definitely more challenging, but there's no crazy advanced moves or anything, so that one's good for beginners as well. (And probably easier to find.)
  • AtomicDarling
    Options
    There are some fantastic videos out there but honestly having been where you are, the best way to begin with yoga is to find a local studio/class and try out a beginner's or yoga flow class. (a lot of places even give you one free class to try it out)

Being around all the people and having an instructor is great because if you have problems with a pose or doing something, they notice and help you through it.

It's a great way to learn.

Otherwise there are lots of yoga at home videos but I've always done better in the classes.
  • Uk_Yogini
    Uk_Yogini Posts: 167
    Options
    Best to try a couple of basic yoga classes first. There are many different styles of yoga out there depending on your needs, flexibility ect.
    A few personal favorites of mine are Shiva Rea and Seane Corn, both have basic dvd's out
  • Rakeda1210
    Rakeda1210 Posts: 44
    Options
    Hatha Yoga if you just want it for the stretch as opposed to the high calorie burn

Sara Ivanhoe - Basic Yoga Workout For Dummies

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMjcyNDc3MTI0.html

I just LOVE your quote.
  • thebutteredtoast
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks for all the suggestions! I've been looking for an at-home one since I'm just a poor college kid and can't afford a gym membership and I want to do something until classes go back into session in the fall and then I plan on taking a fitness class at the gym on campus.
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options

I just LOVE your quote.

I assume you mean in my sig?

You can thank Jillian for those babies!