Overdoing it at dinner

Options
Hi everyone! I have a problem. I eat a well portioned/balanced breakfast and lunch, and I go home with every intention of doing the same at dinner, but somehow every night the wheels fall off and I wind up eating unhealthy foods or overindulging in the healthy ones I cook. Do you guys have any tricks for avoiding overeating at dinner? Writing this now (and from the vantage point of the morning) it seems like such a silly issue with an obvious answer, but nonetheless it's a habit I can't seem to shake. Please only respond if you have overcome this issue, or have something constructive to say. Some of the MFP commenters are kinda mean :(

Replies

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Either pre-plan your day so that you have your snacks worked in, or if you'd rather start counting at night (for example 5pm-5pm, it could help since you know how much you have left.

One of the easiest things that I did when I was just cooking for myself and even as a single mom is make a meal and divide it into equal portions then put it away (fridge or freezer). I'd totally grab an extra spoonful of something, but I would absolutely not grab a second whole serving!
  • MikaMojito
    MikaMojito Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I tend to have that problem, too, so I often pre-log for the whole day.

For example, I had some meat and veg left over yesterday and I logged an approximate account but the portion wasn't enough for dinner, so I logged it for lunch. I knew I would be having lunch very late, so my usual apple wouldn't cut it, so I prepped a nice container full of apple, oatmeal, milk and cranberries for breakfast. Then I checked how many calories I still had left for the evening and checked fridge and cupboard for something that would fit the bill. Often when I don't do that I eat too much during the day to have a satisfying dinner and then I go to bed with a growly tummy and a horrible mood.

I usually leave some leeway for a sweet or savory snack in the evening or afternoon.

And I agree with @Queenmunchy - whenever I do cook for several meals, I freeze them immediately. But mostly I make single-serving meals that largely consist fo huuuuge amounts of veg so I can go back to my desk until midnight without feeling hungry again.
  • Michal7361
    Michal7361 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Great insights, thank you!!
  • dotti1121
    dotti1121 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Maybe try to eat a little more throughout the day?
  • JoJo__Fit
    JoJo__Fit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. It's all about will power! How bad do you really want it? You have to take control and learn to say NO, I'm only having this and that's that. Drink tons of water, look at motivation videos or pictures till you get use to it. It's always hard the first week or so after that you will start to see changes and feel better. After you get control you'll feel great!!!! You can do it!
  • thiosulfate
    thiosulfate Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I usually try to drink one tall glass of water before every meal. After I'm done eating an appropriate number of calories for the day, if I feel any hunger, I drink water first and wait 30 min. Usually the hunger goes away. If it doesn't, I will see if I have any low calorie, high volume foods such as a fruit, sweet peas, or green beans.
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I save calories for a bigger dinner. It only works because I am not very hungry during the day. Skipping breakfast and having a late lunch does not bother me.

I like Queenmunchy's tip about dividing portions. Prelogging doesn't really help me but I seem to be the exception because lots and lots of people here are successful preloggers.
  • Michal7361
    Options
    100df wrote: »
    I save calories for a bigger dinner. It only works because I am not very hungry during the day. Skipping breakfast and having a late lunch does not bother me.

I like Queenmunchy's tip about dividing portions. Prelogging doesn't really help me but I seem to be the exception because lots and lots of people here are successful preloggers.

Agreed, the pre-logging usually goes no further than "good intentions." I try to stick to whatever I've logged, but at night it seems so hard to predict anything. I like your idea about just making more room calorie-wise for dinner, since that seems to be my trend. I'll see if I can make that work. Thank you!
  • toe1226
    toe1226 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary and it looks like you aren't much into logging your foods. The more information we have, the better able we can help. That being said, from what you DO log, it looks like you eat fairly light for breakfast and lunch. I've found making sure I have adequate calories and protein for breakfast and lunch prevent the wheels from falling off at dinner. Also, an ounce of nuts or a big glass of water at 3 or 4pm can do wonders.
  • Michal7361
    Options
    toe1226 wrote: »
    I looked at your diary and it looks like you aren't much into logging your foods. The more information we have, the better able we can help. That being said, from what you DO log, it looks like you eat fairly light for breakfast and lunch. I've found making sure I have adequate calories and protein for breakfast and lunch prevent the wheels from falling off at dinner. Also, an ounce of nuts or a big glass of water at 3 or 4pm can do wonders.

I actually pay attention to my hunger with regards to meals. Idk if my meals are "light," but I don't feel hungry so that's what I eat. And the evening overindulge isn't the result of ACTUAL hunger, it's just deeply ingrained bad habits I'm trying to break. I know it's ultimately up to me and my discipline to break them, I was just curious if anyone else had ever had this issue, and if they had any "tricks" so to speak to help with the process.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with this self defeating habit too - I would get home and even though I had dinner planned, I had to eat almost as soon as I was in the door - it was like food was saying "welcome home" after a long day at work!

So now I have snacks prepared for when I get home - some pre cut cheese, maybe some celery and carrots and peanut butter (which I lOVE), some fruit or sometimes even a boiled egg for an extra protein boost. Then I absolutely have to leave the kitchen until its time to prep for dinner, and while I am doing that, I am drinking water. It takes awhile to get into a new habit, but thats what has to be done - good luck!
  • jessetfan
    jessetfan Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    For me, it's going to the gym. Working out kills my hunger to quite a degree, so I get my workout in before dinner and I'm usually not very hungry until I go to bed. On the days I don't go to the gym I could eat everything in the kitchen.
  • Michal7361
    Options
    cross2bear wrote: »
    I have struggled with this self defeating habit too - I would get home and even though I had dinner planned, I had to eat almost as soon as I was in the door - it was like food was saying "welcome home" after a long day at work!

So now I have snacks prepared for when I get home - some pre cut cheese, maybe some celery and carrots and peanut butter (which I lOVE), some fruit or sometimes even a boiled egg for an extra protein boost. Then I absolutely have to leave the kitchen until its time to prep for dinner, and while I am doing that, I am drinking water. It takes awhile to get into a new habit, but thats what has to be done - good luck!

THIS! Yes that is EXACTLY how I would describe it. Great idea on the snacks, I will try to plan ahead like that. Thank you!!
  • lindsayh87
    lindsayh87 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time with this, I make healthy dinners but not matter how much or how little I eat the rest of the day I want to go crazy at dinner.

Pre-logging for a large meal helps. I love the recipe importer so I can know exactly how many calories are in a serving of what I'm making, and how much a serving size is. I also make smaller dinners, like the other night we had chicken fajitas, the recipe called for 2lbs of chicken but I made half the recipe instead. It also means no leftovers but I don't love left overs anyway and it leaves me less room to over do it at dinner!

It doesn't ALWAYS work but it's helped! :)
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Also maybe/maybe not helpful:

I see a lot of posters with this problem, specifically with problems around dinner time, and this is what I've noticed with myself w.r.t. Overeating during the evening:
    I have breakfast and I go to school... Busy and have my mind on other things than food... Don't overeat. I have lunch at school, then go back to class... Again busy with other stuff and don't overeat.

But I eat dinner at home, sit around, watch tv etc... And suddenly I'm browsing for snacks.

So are you hungry when you keep eating? Or are you eating because you have nothing better to do? I ask myself that before I let myself eat beyond what I've planned for dinner... If I'm eating because I'm bored, I will walk the dog around the block, read a book, find some housework or homework that needs to be done. Something that will occupy me better than television.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I study my nutrients on MFP and try to round up my day with dinner. I eat right up to my calorie limit. "Oh look, I have 50 calories left. Shall I have a tangerine or a chocolate square?" Then I push the finished button and I'm done. Last night I went to bed hungry, but done means done!
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    ......I woke up this morning 0.4 lbs down. Doing the happy dance!
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Yes maybe eat a little more during the day so you're not too hungry and end up over eating at dinner.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,122 Member
    Options
    Michal7361 wrote: »
    toe1226 wrote: »

I actually pay attention to my hunger with regards to meals. Idk if my meals are "light," but I don't feel hungry so that's what I eat. And the evening overindulge isn't the result of ACTUAL hunger, it's just deeply ingrained bad habits I'm trying to break. I know it's ultimately up to me and my discipline to break them, I was just curious if anyone else had ever had this issue, and if they had any "tricks" so to speak to help with the process.

If you are not logging what you eat, how do you know you are overindulging? If you have a weight problem, it is likely you do not interpret hunger properly, many of us don't, that is why we log. Then you know how many calories you have consumed for the day.

It is calorie totals that are important. If you don't log you have no idea if you are in a calorie deficit whether you feel hungry or not. For that matter you don't know if you are under eating and thus sabotaging yourself long term. If you log your calories, you can spread them out however you want. If you like eating at night, make sure you have more calories available at night by eating less through the day. If you are not logging your intake, there is no way to do this. BTW, there is nothing wrong with eating more at night, as long as you don't go over your calorie goal.